BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #221
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Nice to hear from you buddy! I'm due for another oil change, a pretty frequent practice, here in a few thousand miles. I picked up one of those billet oil filter housings from ECS that I'll be installing at that time. I also may install the Precision Raceworks coils, just so I can work out all the bugs (if there are any) before upgrading turbos in a few months.

My Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 tires are also reaching the end of their life and one (or more) of my TPMS sensors have went out. Knowing I'll need them soon, I went ahead and secured a full set of the highly recommended Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 XL and some new TPMS sensors.

Besides that, just continuing to drive, enjoy, and doing more research on the DIY turbo install I'll soon be embarking on.
Very nice. What sizes did you order the tires in?
      12-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #222
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Very nice. What sizes did you order the tires in?
Same sizes that I'm running now -- 235s in the front, 265s in the rear. I really really enjoyed the Hankooks currently mounted up. I'll be posting up a full review once they are fully toast. But very much looking forward to the Firestone option as I've read many positive reviews.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #223
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same sizes that I'm running now -- 235s in the front, 265s in the rear. I really really enjoyed the Hankooks currently mounted up. I'll be posting up a full review once they are fully toast. But very much looking forward to the Firestone option as I've read many positive reviews.
What profile/wheel specs are you running?

Also, make sure you give the Hankooks a proper send-off!
      12-12-2017, 12:16 PM   #224
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What profile/wheel specs are you running?

Also, make sure you give the Hankooks a proper send-off!
Here are the specs of the Apex wheels I'm running. Absolutely love everything about them.

And I agree on the send off, something in the style of suspenceful !
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #225
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here are the specs of the Apex wheels I'm running. Absolutely love everything about them.

And I agree on the send off, something in the style of suspenceful !
You don't have any rubbing with this setup?
      12-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #226
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You don't have any rubbing with this setup?
I haven't experienced any rubbing with this setup at all. Keep in mind this is also with zero added camber. I haven't even knocked out the alignment pins. Unlike a lot of others on here though, I value tire longevity over slightly better turn-in as I drive this car long distances almost daily with zero track or auto-x time.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #227
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't experienced any rubbing with this setup at all. Keep in mind this is also with zero added camber. I haven't even knocked out the alignment pins. Unlike a lot of others on here though, I value tire longevity over slightly better turn-in as I drive this car long distances almost daily with zero track or auto-x time.
That's fair, I'm on slightly more aggressive camber but my wheels have a lot more offset so I get rubbing with stock sizes. I'll eventually switch my wheel/tire setup to something similar to yours but that's down the road. I'd really like more rubber up front to try and minimize the understeer, especially in wet.
      12-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #228
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

As my odometer rolled over 97,000 miles, yet another oil change was in order. It also gave me the opportunity to install the ECS billet oil filter cap I ordered recently. I admit, this was purely for looks. And eliminates one more specialty tool I have to keep in the toolbox. I've always used the BMS oil filter cap tool for removal, but no need with this.

New filter and o-rings in place.

And tightened down to 25 Nm.

Appreciate 1
Matticus913469.50
      02-17-2018, 12:14 PM   #229
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

I apologize in advance for the long post, but I have some catching up to do as I’ve been absent recently! As some of you may know, a while back I picked up a complete set of brand new GC Lite turbos and accessories to replace my smoking stock twins. I had been meticulously planning the install, doing my research, and gathering all the parts needed to make this a smooth DIY. But life suddenly had other plans and I found myself having to put everything on hold indefinitely. These unforeseen circumstances prompted me to return everything I’d purchased over the last 6 months, as well as forfeit the $1,000 discount I’d won through VTT. I was also forced to consider the idea of selling the 135i all together; a car that I’d had all intentions of keeping forever. Over a matter of months though, things began to improve drastically, and not only was I able to keep the 1er as my daily; I was even able to treat her to that freshening up she deserved for all of her loyal hard work lately.

While it hasn’t been that long since I purchased this car back at the beginning of 2016, since then, I have spent a lot of seat time in this thing--to the tune of 50,000 miles in 24 months. Apart from the normal N54 problems, I was able to get out of ahead of most of the issues that typically arise, so ownership had been very enjoyable. More proof that if you take care of these cars with preventative action, they can be extremely reliable without breaking the bank; assuming you can do your own modifications, repairs, and maintenance of course.

It pained me to see my 1er’s mileage exceed 100,000 miles, but that’s certainly just a number in my car’s case though. So many systems have been refurbished and enhanced since taking ownership, that it certainly didn’t reflect its actual age. I finally had the car just where I wanted it on FBO + E85 power levels. It also looked and sounded sensational. It had been a while since I’d bought anything for the car aside from maintenance items and tooling over the past 6 months, so I thought a few upgrades were in order to commemorate the 100K milestone in the form of a few interior and drivability enhancements.

The first present came in the form of a mod that I’d been eyeing for the past year, the Ultimate Clutch Pedal. $295 is excessive for a pedal in my opinion, but it was hard to deny the overwhelming positive reviews I’d read from anyone that had decided to take the plunge and install one. Eventually I gave in and hit “add to cart”.

In addition to the pedal itself, it also came with a few other attachments and shoulder bolts for installation, including their own clutch stop that I’ll be replacing my BMS clutch stop with. The instructions made things simple.

The first step was to remove the bottom dash cover so we could gain access to the pedal fittings. Disconnecting the Bluetooth module from this panel was the most tedious part of the panel removal.

Working under the dash is among the most awkward places imaginable. It takes constant contortion of your body to make things works. Removing the stock clutch pedal was no different. But progressing through the easy-to-understand instructions sheet eventually left me looking like an automatic.

Because I’d installed the BMW Performance aluminum pedal set, I’d need to transfer that one over. Here’s a comparison of the UCP versus the OEM version:

Once I had the aluminum pedal secured to the UCP, all it took was securing the large shoulder bolt and replacing the clip that attaches the slave cylinder to the pedal. After researching as much as I could, I decided to forego the helper spring re-installation. The lack of a helper spring should result in a more linear clutch feel, but takes a bit more effort to engage. A few hours later and things were all reassembled. On to present number 2 of 3.

I loved the thick feel of the M-sport steering wheel, but it was lacking in a few areas; enough that some of other wheels had started to catch my eye despite the high cost. On mine, the perforated leather had become worn at the 7 o’clock position, and the more alcantara I added to the interior, the more I wanted. I wasn’t interested in the electronic readout on some of the higher priced BMW Performance wheels, so that left me with only a few options. Keeping with the BMW Performance theme, the full alcantara model with the yellow 12 o’clock stripe seemed fitting. I already had the OEM alcantara trim insert, so they would match up perfectly. The lack of a heated steering wheel that I’ve had in other vehicles meant that on Carolina winter mornings I was frequently forced to use gloves for the first 15 minutes of my morning commute until things warmed up, so hopefully that helps alleviate the need for those as well.

Removing the stock steering wheel was straightforward. First and most importantly, disconnect the battery. Insert a screwdriver on the slits found on the backside of the wheel, depress the spring clip, and pop out each side of the airbag.

Once the airbag is off, a few electrical connectors need to be disconnected, and then a single 16mm bolt before everything is free.

I swapped over the alcantara trim insert from the original steering wheel, and installed in reverse of removal. I have to admit, that ended up being way easier than I’d anticipated. At this point, I’d eliminated all the M themed components from the car aside from the ZHP weighted knob, something I was hesitant to remove as it held a nostalgic connection to my former E46 M3. I have strong feelings about that car, and running the same shift knob was my way of paying homage to one of my all time favorite vehicles. But my OCD took over and wanted uniformity. That meant a BMW Performance knob with alcantara accents was installed.

At this point the car was equipped with OEM BMW Performance alcantara boots, knobs, trim, and steering wheels. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, the improvement is undeniable.

Initial thoughts are all extremely positive. The steering wheel completely transformed the interior of the car. Grabbing this thing is pure bliss, and although I’ll have to use more care with how clean my hands are when driving, is well worth the enhanced look and feel. It also isn’t uncomfortably cold in the mornings when the temperatures have dropped below freezing the night before. The new knob sits slightly lower than before, and although it takes slightly more effort since it weighs less, fits in perfectly with my interior theme. The Ultimate Clutch Pedal was perhaps my favorite of all three. All the side to side slop has been eliminated. The lower pedal position and included clutch stop, when paired with the lack of a helper spring, just gives a much more precise, linear feel to engaging/releasing the clutch. Now I can immediately find the engagement point and let things smoothly set into motion, where as before with the helper spring, it was much more of a guessing game. I’m surprised removing the helper spring from the stock pedal isn’t done more often. Also, the overall range of pedal travel was nearly cut in half. It just gets I imagine this will help even more when I have a more aggressive clutch installed.

The steering wheel, shift knob and clutch pedal completely transformed the driving experience, but unfortunately did not solve my problem of the cloud of smoke that would envelope my car when coming to a complete stop in traffic that I’d been dealing with for the better part of a year now. At this point, I had a decision to make yet again, as well as some more maintenance items I’d need to address now that I’d crossed into six digit mileage. Should I go with OEM replacements for simplicity’s sake, take the trip back down the upgraded hybrids route, or opt for a well-put together single turbo kit? I eventually made a decision, but you’ll have to wait until later this week to find out.

Last edited by chadillac2000; 02-17-2018 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #230
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Clutch installation is a bear, isn't it?
But I agree - totally worth it for the UCP benefits.

Interior looks great!
But I'm sticking with leather trim - and have no intention of giving up the ZHP knob.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #231
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Nice job, chadillac. I've been drooling over the alcantara wheel for a while, now. Would you say it's worth the money? If I recall correctly, it's around 650 dollars. I'm also wondering if the alcantara will wear as well as the original leather.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #232
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Clutch installation is a bear, isn't it?
But I agree - totally worth it for the UCP benefits.

Interior looks great!
But I'm sticking with leather trim - and have no intention of giving up the ZHP knob.
I'm sure swapping out the actual pedal will prove easier than the clutch/flywheel job I'll be taking on here shortly. I'm back on forth on the knobs. I still miss my larger, weighted ZHP knob at times. But this fits the theme much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Nice job, chadillac. I've been drooling over the alcantara wheel for a while, now. Would you say it's worth the money? If I recall correctly, it's around 650 dollars. I'm also wondering if the alcantara will wear as well as the original leather.
I had been drooling for over a year. Absolutely worth the money, and you're correct on the pricing. I was also able to sell my old wheel sans trim for around $150, so around $500 to upgrade. I'll be paying close attention to the wear pattern, but my perforated leather wheel hadn't held up particularly well over the past 10 years/100,000 miles anyways. Plus, this wheel makes me excited to get in the car every morning.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #233
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

dammit, I was about to make an offer on your car!!!

in all seriousness, very glad to see the build continue and hear good news, man. You car is exceptionally clean and always puts a smile on my face when i see an update / new part added in this thread.

Keep up the hard work! cant wait for more updates!
      02-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #234
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Really nice post as usual man. Would you mind detailing the UCP a bit more? I've been on the edge of getting one for a while now, and wife is wanting to know what I want for my birthday.

Details I want, specifically how does the UCP compare to stock in the resting up, clutch engagement, clutch travel, and clutch fully disengaged positions. Compared to the stock clutch pedal, where does it sit? My stock pedal is twisted off towards the dead pedal a little. Looks like your stock pedal was too. How heavy is it without the helper spring installed? Can you feel when the clutch is engaged vs not engaged, and how does your foot feel after a longer period of time of constant clutch-declutching?

Thanks! Congrats on your new driving experience!
      02-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #235
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Really nice post as usual man. Would you mind detailing the UCP a bit more? I've been on the edge of getting one for a while now, and wife is wanting to know what I want for my birthday.

Details I want, specifically how does the UCP compare to stock in the resting up, clutch engagement, clutch travel, and clutch fully disengaged positions. Compared to the stock clutch pedal, where does it sit? My stock pedal is twisted off towards the dead pedal a little. Looks like your stock pedal was too. How heavy is it without the helper spring installed? Can you feel when the clutch is engaged vs not engaged, and how does your foot feel after a longer period of time of constant clutch-declutching?

Thanks! Congrats on your new driving experience!
My stock pedal also was twisted slightly towards the dead pedal as you noticed. The OEM black rubber pedal covers did a nice job of hiding this, but when I installed the aluminum pedal covers, I noticed it immediately. I initially thought I'd misaligned my drill holes because that issue was remedied after I installed the UCP using the same performance pedal cover. After hearing from you, it seems that's apparently how the factory pedal is oriented. This correction may be a result of the UCP design itself, or the included shoulder bolt for the slave cylinder that completely eliminates all side to side slop the plastic pedal had (and probably how it sits as well).

In the resting up position, it sits a few inches lower and more flush with the surrounding brake/gas pedals. In conjunction with the included clutch stop, total travel distance is reduced greatly. After feeling the clutch without a helper spring, it seems that it didn't help much of anything. Sure, it assisted in returning the clutch to resting position, but did so at the expense of feel in the places you need it most. It took no time at all to get adjusted to the new pedal points as they're far more linear now. In no way does the UCP or lack of a helper spring make driving the car in traffic any worse either. I'm very partial to anything taking away daily drivability, and this mod only helps in all regards. I'd give your wife the go-ahead. I was also hesitant to invest the money, but I don't think there's any cons to this mod aside from cost.
Appreciate 1
ShocknAwe3201.50
      02-17-2018, 11:24 PM   #236
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

I left the helper spring in, and placed the pin in the central "sport" position.
I concur with Chad's assessment.
Better placement, no slop, much better feel and engagement. No downside.
Even cost wasn't bad. I broke my stock pedal and had to buy something. Was a no brainer for me.
One of my very favorite mods.

And with the hardware changes, it was much easier to install than the stock one.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #237
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
My stock pedal also was twisted slightly towards the dead pedal as you noticed. The OEM black rubber pedal covers did a nice job of hiding this, but when I installed the aluminum pedal covers, I noticed it immediately. I initially thought I'd misaligned my drill holes because that issue was remedied after I installed the UCP using the same performance pedal cover. After hearing from you, it seems that's apparently how the factory pedal is oriented. This correction may be a result of the UCP design itself, or the included shoulder bolt for the slave cylinder that completely eliminates all side to side slop the plastic pedal had (and probably how it sits as well).

In the resting up position, it sits a few inches lower and more flush with the surrounding brake/gas pedals. In conjunction with the included clutch stop, total travel distance is reduced greatly. After feeling the clutch without a helper spring, it seems that it didn't help much of anything. Sure, it assisted in returning the clutch to resting position, but did so at the expense of feel in the places you need it most. It took no time at all to get adjusted to the new pedal points as they're far more linear now. In no way does the UCP or lack of a helper spring make driving the car in traffic any worse either. I'm very partial to anything taking away daily drivability, and this mod only helps in all regards. I'd give your wife the go-ahead. I was also hesitant to invest the money, but I don't think there's any cons to this mod aside from cost.
Perfect. Sounds like the way to go. How was it to drill into for the bmwp pedals? Just did mine and did not enjoy drilling into the brake. When you say the spring helped it return to the up position, how does the return feel now? Easier to control clutch out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
I left the helper spring in, and placed the pin in the central "sport" position.
I concur with Chad's assessment.
Better placement, no slop, much better feel and engagement. No downside.
Even cost wasn't bad. I broke my stock pedal and had to buy something. Was a no brainer for me.
One of my very favorite mods.

And with the hardware changes, it was much easier to install than the stock one.
What's the pin you speak of? Spring adjustment?
      02-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #238
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

Quote:
I'm sure swapping out the actual pedal will prove easier than the clutch/flywheel job I'll be taking on here shortly. I'm back on forth on the knobs. I still miss my larger, weighted ZHP knob at times. But this fits the theme much better.

I had been drooling for over a year. Absolutely worth the money, and you're correct on the pricing. I was also able to sell my old wheel sans trim for around $150, so around $500 to upgrade. I'll be paying close attention to the wear pattern, but my perforated leather wheel hadn't held up particularly well over the past 10 years/100,000 miles anyways. Plus, this wheel makes me excited to get in the car every morning.
Thanks. if I could find one with a red stripe, I think I'd be pushed over the edge! It's nice to know the alcantara feels warmer. I see some absolutely brutal mornings here in Northern Illinois!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #239
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post

What's the pin you speak of? Spring adjustment?
Yep.
Spring mount.
It's been a while - I forgot all the terminology.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #240
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

I just spent 3 hours reading this thread. Outstanding work, and thank you so much for your attention to detail and thorough coverage of your upgrades. I am really looking forward to your turbo and clutch upgrades, even though I have neither a turbo nor clutch on my 128i cab.
      02-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #241
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

I’ve been eyeing that UCP pedal for awhile now and I think your review has pushed me over! Thanks for the detailed write up.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 05:16 AM   #242
frontside0815
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i FBO

You don´t Need the UCP Pedal.
Just buy bushings for the OEM plastic bushings where the pedal connects.
Then dismount the helper spring and buy a bigger clutch stop.

That´s my Setup and i don´t think the UCP will be that much better, especially if you compare the Prices.
Appreciate 0