BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Mike Snyder from https://autoxgraphics.com Is putting together one of these for me....I guess if there is any interest he can do for others? If so, you'll be able to reach him directly to order.

I don't have it just yet...but, will be similar if not exactly like the one pictured.

I picked up this pic from another thread from back in the day....however, that company is no longer doing it.

Once I get mine, I'll post up a pic and then we can go from there

I don't have pricing info yet....but, I'd guess around $15

Now I need to figure out what # my car is....it's in that same thread I picked up the pic from!

Pretty cool I think!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00
      10-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

How about the former Canadian cars now in the USA?
      10-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Use this sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

From this thread:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1468677

That 740 number has always been wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #4
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
How about the former Canadian cars now in the USA?
I would think it's not originally part of the USA 740. So, whatever #/250 or whatever the original allocation was for Canada.

Then again you can put down whatever you want...lol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
Use this sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

From this thread:

That 740 number has always been wrong.
Thanks!

740 is just the popular # that most have been going with.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      10-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
zhihong.james
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Mike Snyder from https://autoxgraphics.com Is putting together one of these for me....I guess if there is any interest he can do for others? If so, you'll be able to reach him directly to order.

I don't have it just yet...but, will be similar if not exactly like the one pictured.

I picked up this pic from another thread from back in the day....however, that company is no longer doing it.

Once I get mine, I'll post up a pic and then we can go from there

I don't have pricing info yet....but, I'd guess around $15

Now I need to figure out what # my car is....it's in that same thread I picked up the pic from!

Pretty cool I think!
I am interested in getting for my car too!
how can I place a order?
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Hate to reignite this debate......but, are we at 740 or 750 USA 1M's

Revived an older thread as well so we can get some closure before I get my window sticker made?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...30&postcount=1

Which data is correct????
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Quote:

Revived an older thread as well so we can get some closure before I get my window sticker made?

Weren't roughly 10 cars brought in as press cars and later crushed? Dackelone or Artemis ... any thoughts on these numbers?
      10-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Weren't roughly 10 cars brought in as press cars and later crushed? Dackelone or Artemis ... any thoughts on these numbers?
Dodging the question for the US by pointing out that 983 UR93 cars (North American-spec - left hand drive) were produced 03/2011 through 12/2011 (source: here):
  • 222 Black Sapphire metallic (paint code 475)
  • 326 Alpine White III (paint code 300)
  • 435 Valencia Orange metallic (paint code B44)
I guess forum fellows SickFinga and reppucci can chime in to get you the USA 1M figures (AFAIK officially 740).
      10-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Dodging the question for the US by pointing out that 983 UR93 cars (North American-spec - left hand drive) were produced 03/2011 through 12/2011 (source: here):
  • 222 Black Sapphire metallic (paint code 475)
  • 326 Alpine White III (paint code 300)
  • 435 Valencia Orange metallic (paint code B44)
I guess forum fellows SickFinga and reppucci can chime in to get you the USA 1M figures (AFAIK officially 740).
I'd find it interesting if the source of any stated total production number is added. For example where does the linked website get it's info from?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
I'd find it interesting if the source of any stated total production number is added. For example where does the linked website get it's info from?
Check the detailed data they manage to show for E9 3.0 CSL till F10 M5: http://www.bmwmregistry.com/faq.php. A hobby project of mere mortals without ties with BMW ?

Same goes for this website: https://www.bimmerarchive.org/e-code/. This website accurately lists all BMW models, engines and up-to-date news. But it reports that it is no official website of BMW AG or affiliated BMW companies (see here). Its office is located less than 15 minutes away from the BMW engine factory in Steyr (Austria).

I don't know. I do know though that I am 100% unrelated to BMW, except for buying and appreciating their cars and being a moderator (doing this for free) at the M2 section over here at Bimmerpost (a website which, AFAIK, is not controlled by BMW).
      10-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #12
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

761 1Ms were built for the US market. 222 were built for the Canadian market. These numbers include press cars, pre-production cars and exhibition cars. I don't work for BMW, so I don't know what they mean by "740 cars sold", but my guess is that it only counts brand new cars sold to a dealer. It doesn't include BMW of North America cars imported for press and testing. However, most of those cars end up in private hands. So in my opnion the only number that should be used is the 761.
Appreciate 2
Artemis28911.50
Dackelone10511.00
      10-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
761 1Ms were built for the US market. 222 were built for the Canadian market. These numbers include press cars, pre-production cars and exhibition cars. I don't work for BMW, so I don't know what they mean by "740 cars sold", but my guess is that it only counts brand new cars sold to a dealer. It doesn't include BMW of North America cars imported for press and testing. However, most of those cars end up in private hands. So in my opnion the only number that should be used is the 761.
About the 740 figure:
"We have finally been able to obtain a final US 1M production figure for all those curious. The final count for US 1Ms was 740 units, per BMWNA M Manager, Matt Russell."
(source: here)
      10-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #14
SickFinga
Captain
Rep

Quote:
About the 740 figure:
"We have finally been able to obtain a final US 1M production figure for all those curious. The final count for US 1Ms was 740 units, per BMWNA M Manager, Matt Russell."
We definitely know that this is not the true "production" figure. We got VINs for every single 1M built and we know for a fact there are more of them than 740. What this number represents is the "sold units". This numer is pulled from the monthly sales report.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #15
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Quote:
About the 740 figure:
We definitely know that this is not the true "production" figure. We got VINs for every single 1M built and we know for a fact there are more of them than 740. What this number represents is the "sold units". This numer is pulled from the monthly sales report.
740 is certainly the official number SOLD. Meaning a person walked into a dealer, paid for the car, and walked out with the keys. Brand new and untitled cars. The end.

Are there more US cars? You're right; Yes! They weren't intended to me primary consumer cars. Do we count them in total production? Probably. Do we count them in the number sold officially? No.

There will be some news soon about all of this; but until confirmed otherwise I would stick to the 740 number since we don't have the detailed breakdown of the others...yet!
      10-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #16
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

For me, that is why the 740 number is such a stretch for the OP's purpose of getting a sequence number sticker. You might just as well get a sticker that says xxx/347 cars in VO, or xxx/148 cars with manual seats. Cars sold to customers is a somewhat arbitrary criteria, especially since it can be definitively proven that a press demo car was later re-sold. What should we tell the person who owns an original press car and wants a sticker if that car isn't included in the total?

I think it should be one of these:

xxx/750 (production run US 1Ms)
xxx/761 (all US 1Ms including pre-production)
xxx/983 (all UR93 1Ms - since the US and Canada VINs are intermingled)

I tend to prefer xxx/750 because none of the pre-production cars were sold. I realize there are multiple examples of pre-production BMWs ending up owned by individuals, but that has not happened with US 1Ms. You can run a VIN report like carfax on those 11 VINs and the reports will come up empty. If someone can prove that any of the pre-production cars were not destroyed (perhaps the one that was used as the pace car for the Rolex24) and there is even a chance you could buy one in the future, then I'd change my opinion to xxx/761.

Otherwise the sticker should say "One of 740 cars reportedly sold to customers in the US".
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 10:54 PM   #17
SickFinga
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
There will be some news soon about all of this; but until confirmed otherwise I would stick to the 740 number since we don't have the detailed breakdown of the others...yet!
Not sure what you mean "we don't have a detailed breakdown". We absolutely do. Many people had the production breakdown since June 2012, when the production has ended. There is absolutely no argument that 740 is the wrong number. When BMW history books will be written, no one going to look at the "sold" number. This number is for the accountants. Seriously, open any BMW history book, look at the production numbers. They all going to include test cars, destroyed pre-production cars, press cars, etc.

Here is official BMW Archives page for the E36 M3 GT

https://bmw-grouparchiv.de/research/...tml?id=3899156

Unit count: 356

Notice how they don't dismiss the 6 pre-production cars that they built?

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
I tend to prefer xxx/750 because none of the pre-production cars were sold. I realize there are multiple examples of pre-production BMWs ending up owned by individuals, but that has not happened with US 1Ms. You can run a VIN report like carfax on those 11 VINs and the reports will come up empty. If someone can prove that any of the pre-production cars were not destroyed (perhaps the one that was used as the pace car for the Rolex24) and there is even a chance you could buy one in the future, then I'd change my opinion to xxx/761.

The problem is that we don't know what happened to the 11 pre-production cars. Another problem, that the last US cars was also never registered. We don't know what happened to all those cars. Some were destroyed, some might be at the BMW's storage, some hoarded by a dealer. AutoCheck is just not a reliable source for this. To have a consistency, the total production number should be used. This is the number that all historians use.

Last edited by SickFinga; 10-06-2018 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      10-07-2018, 12:25 AM   #18
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Another problem, that the last US cars was also never registered. We don't know what happened to all those cars. Some were destroyed, some might be at the BMW's storage, some hoarded by a dealer. AutoCheck is just not a reliable source for this. To have a consistency, the total production number should be used. This is the number that all historians use.
I remember that a car repair shop reported over here to have purchased the last 1M ("#740") delivered to the US. After bringing the salvaged car back from the dead it was put up for sale again (the repair process was documented over here: see here):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassoman55 View Post
the VO coupe purchased yesterday with VIN VT47835 has been confirmed to be the last 1M coupe delivered to the US!
I also remember that forum fellow Rikx1M reported in the past that he got hold of the penultimate 1M slot for the US: #739 (also noted in his profile):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Nice...thinking about this also as I'm #739/740
      10-07-2018, 04:56 AM   #19
SickFinga
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I remember that a car repair shop reported over here to have purchased the last 1M ("#740") delivered to the US. After bringing the salvaged car back from the dead it was put up for sale again (the repair process was documented over here: see here):
This is not the last US-spec car built though. The last US car is VT47840, though it appears to have never been registered.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 05:13 AM   #20
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

I think the original poster or maybe all of us should definitely get these stickers out of 740...if anything just to cause SickFinga to have a breakdown!! LOL
      10-07-2018, 07:05 AM   #21
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
This is not the last US-spec car built though. The last US car is VT47840, though it appears to have never been registered.
BMW usually keeps a couple of cars for archival purposes.

For example the 1M MotoGP Safety Cars (EURO-spec): there's at least one on display at BMW Welt which BMW sometimes fires up for a loud victory lap.

10-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #22
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Geez! Thanks for all the feedback and information!

Now I'm just hoping that guy doesn't get back to me...lol! I'm not sure what to tell him?

In any case, if you guys are members of the 1M BMW Owners Society.....you will know that Syed Hoda will be collaborating with BMW to write a book about the 1M

I'm not sure if he is on this forum or not. However, maybe he will be able to shed some light on the subject as he research's information on the book???

Can't seem to share the link...but, here is a pic of his post announcing the book....
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
///BYU268.50