BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #155
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Who won the race?!
There's multiple classes on the track all at the same time. Normally a C-Mod or a D-Mod car will win overall. Each class winner gets credit for a class win.

But sometimes the lower class cars can pull off a surprise. At that event, David Lang in a very fast I-Prepared e36 M3 got some field wins.

More pics from Infineon before the car was driven home to Huntington Beach

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #156
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Now for the next chapter of the story:

The Trip to Watkins Glen

As usual, all higher res pics in photo gallery:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/sho...er/812/cat/500

We returned from Sear's Point around Midnight on Sunday night with the M3 already to go in the trailer (for PIR in another 2 weeks). Unfortunately, I had a long, almost double-shift day at work on Monday (so no early get away). So I knew I had a tough job ahead of me and resigned to just getting a good night's rest on that Monday night.

I got up Tuesday morning, packed my clothes and began packing the car. I had been planning this trip for a while and I pretty much had it down to what I think I would need to 1) race at Watkins Glen and 2) worst case to get me there. The trunk was pretty loaded: Spare tire mounted on a wheel, jack, tools to change a tire, impact wrench, Brake pads, tools to change brake pads and bleed brakes, oil and brake fluid, car detailing supplies, camera, rags, blanket, work shoes, caliper spreader (nicknamed the 'dental tool') and a tarp and tool kit from OSH that I thought to get last minute (which would turn out to be vital later).

By the time I had packed the car, ran some errands for the wife, gassed up, ate and stopped by OSH, it was darn near 11:30 AM by the time I'm on the 55 Freeway heading toward Las Vegas.

But I was rolling and my rolling office set up for a long haul for the next 2 days. How do you go from Huntington Beach, Ca. to Corning, NY in 48 hours? Well, when you are driving a race car and sitting in a race seat, you need to have everything you think you will need within arm's reach:

Printed directions: check
Atlas: check
cell phone: check
beef jerky: check
chewing gum: check
Sugar Free Rock Star (or drink of your choice): check
CDs: check
Neck pillow: check
Reading glasses: check
Sunglasses: check
Elbow pad for left arm on roll cage: check
backpack: check

I also had some of my luggage handy (there was some in the back seat as well) and a towel.

But all in all, if there is a race car you are going to drive across the country, I couldn't ask for a better one. A stock class race car with A/C, stereo, soft suspension and this one gets pretty good mileage (so you don't stop too often). :smile:

So I'm on the road and heading towards Las Vegas. I get to Barstow (the normal place to get gas where the prices aren't too outrageous) and I look at the gas guage and the miles to go and I'm thinking "wow, I'm going to make it to Vegas without stopping". Sure enough, I get there about 5 minutes to 3 PM and did have to sit in about 10 minutes of traffic before getting to Las Vegas Motor Speedway on the north edge of town for gas. Gassed up, I settled in for a nice stint that goes from NV across part of AZ and some nice areas of Utah. It was getting dark by the time I got to Colo., so unfortunately, I was going to see nothing of the Rockies (maybe another time).

But stopping in Grand Junction for gas and Wendy's, I ran into some guys from SoCal with a radar detector and we headed across the Rockies hitting triple digits at times. It really helped my fatigue factor being able to follow someone else's headlights for hours instead of having to look ahead into the darkness myself. We did get a close look from a Colo. state trooper, but he didn't pull us and we went on to cross the Vail pass (over 10,000 ft. high) and down into Denver around 3 AM or so.

And that's another key to making great time across country - when you hit big cities. I hit a little traffic at Vegas, but early enough to miss most of it. And I was driving hard all night to hit Denver before morning traffic. Having East of Denver, I drove as long as I could before I could feel that I was barely hanging on. The guys I had latched onto had long pulled off and by the time I got to Crook, Colorado, I needed some sleep.

So you want to be a road warrior? You may have to spend some time sleeping and getting showers at truck stops like this Sinclair in Crook, Colo.

I slept in the driver's seat until I woke up in the morning with the sun up (around 6:30 AM?) Gassed up and showered, I was ready for another long day on the road.

This was to be one long, boring, uneventful day behind the wheel. North out of Colo. and across Nebraska and Iowa. Hit Omaha a little before 3 PM and sat in a little traffic, but got to Des Moines a little after their rush hour. Hit Chicago around 11 PM and at that point I was thinking I was on the home stretch. Drove across the Ohio turnpike until I got to the Toledo truck stops for another snooze, gas and shower.

Timed it pretty well. Re-newed and excited about almost being there, I got to Cleveland after the morning traffic, and turned East just before Erie, Pa. towards Western NY. And it seemed amazing to me, that almost as soon as I crossed into NY, that there were rolling hills with trees changing colors in awesome landscapes. That made the last few hours pleasant as I rolled into Corning NY at 2:30 PM local, about 48 hours after I left HB.

But as excited as I was, I was a little tired, so I found a Firestone tire shop to help me change the brake pads to the racing pads. They got me right in and I showed the guys how to do it. Couple of hours later I was at a car wash to get the car cleaned up from the hundreds of insects I had picked up on the way. Took me a while to use the bug remover before I even put it in the car wash, but the car came out looking pretty good for a car that had just gone 2700 miles. So I made the last 10 miles or so from Corning to the famous Seneca Lodge near the track at Watkins Glen

At that point, I was re-newed again. My Dad arrived with wheels and tires I had shipped to him and we had a great, well deserved prime rib dinner at the lodge that night. Ralph arrived later and we settled into cabin 24.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 12:48 AM   #157
N54me
Private
Rep
Drives:

That was a great story! A cross country trip in top form!

Not sure I would have opted to sleep in the driver seat though.

Checkin' out your pics on Bimmerfest. So far soo gooooood
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #158
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54me View Post
That was a great story! A cross country trip in top form!

Not sure I would have opted to sleep in the driver seat though.

Checkin' out your pics on Bimmerfest. So far soo gooooood
Thanks - I really just didn't have many options on where to sleep. I don't have a picture, but the back seat was full of Ralph's race gear (helmet, hans, suit, radios, etc.) and more of my luggage. And I didn't feel like rearranging the whole car to sleep in the passenger seat - which doesn't recline much with the roll cage installed anyway. So I just toughed it out. With the extra pads I had in the race seat and a neck pillow, it wasn't bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #159
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

But now on to what you guys would really rather hear about:

The racing at Watkins Glen! :thumbup:

Started the weekend off pretty well. Friday was practice day with Qual. at the end. I think we had one dry session, one light rain session, but then fog at the end of the day cancelled our qualifying session. The cars went around with the pace car for a couple of laps, but it was getting worse by the minute, so on the 2nd pace lap, they pulled everybody in and the decision was to have Qual. on the first session on Sat. (so losing a fun race).

Friday night, a bunch of the club racers had dinner in town at the Rooster Fish or something like that and had a great meal. Watkins Glen plays up to the racing heritage, as there are plaques in the sidewalks dedicated to different drivers and murals on buildings of vintage race days.

Sat. was one of those days where you were switching back and forth between wet and dry tires all day. The Qualifying in the morning was in pretty good rain. We put on the skinner, full tread NT01s that I had used to drive across the country on Ralph did an amazing job in the rain to miss the pole by .111 sec! So Ralph would start on the front row for the race :w00t:

As the day went on, the light rain continued off and on, but as our race time neared, it seemed to be slowing more and the sky looked as though the sun could peek thru. Just minutes before going to the grid, we made the decision to run full tread dry (wider) NT01s. Upon getting to the grid, the other cars near the front were on rain tires and the Sun did start peeking through the clouds. And on track, the previous race group was making a dry line on the track. So the stage was set.

On the pace lap, Ralph comes on the radio and says "it's bone dry out here on the race line". Ralph took the green and rocketed to the lead into turn one and up the hill thru the esses. But how would the faster JP cars do on their rain tires? We had our answer at the end of lap one as Ralph came by start/finish still in front and the JP cars trying to catch him. :eyebulge:

So Ralph continued to lead, but the guys in the JP cars started using an F1 trick and were driving on the wet lines on the straights to cool off their tires. And it was working as a very fast David White began closing the gap.

Finally, on lap 6 or so, a car wrecked bringing out the full course yellow and the pace car. It was going to be a while to remove the car so Ralph won a yellow/checker finish to get the field win over something like 60 cars!

For the Saturday afternoon feature race, the weather had continued to improve and everybody would be equal on dry tires. So even though Ralph was on the pole, it didn't take long for the faster cars to get by him.

So Ralph settled in, saved the car and got a nice class win in the freature race to finish the day. Ralph got his medal/trophy in the mail the other day as we skipped the banquet for a paddock barbeque with the team from German Motor Werks from Spindale, NC.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #160
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

While I'm waiting for the CD to come with the heavy rain pics from theSunday race at Watkins Glen, let me take a moment to thank a team that was our host while we were at the track.

Jon Behrns and his German Motor Werks team from Spindale, NC (828) 286-4445 heard about us coming to WG all the way from California with basically nothing but a car and some tires and invited us to come share their paddock space. So if there was anything we needed that we didn't have (air, ac power, etc.), we didn't have to go far to get it. And they threw a great bar-b-q on Sat. night. They have a pretty good setup using an old Porter-Cable show trailer.

And by the time Sunday morning came around, we were glad to have someone to paddock with. Rain was coming down pretty good on Sunday. Luckily I had made that last minute stop to OSH for a tarp (that had all our stuff wrapped in it) and my dad had picked up a small EZ Up on the way. But water was just running across the paddock and everything was getting really wet. We ended up packing up under the front straight grand stands (at least there was some dry ground under there).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #161
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Thats a great read....I find this more interesting than most of the stuff in the magazines cause its a fellow 1er from our board! Great Job to you and your team Scott!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #162
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Thats a great read....I find this more interesting than most of the stuff in the magazines cause its a fellow 1er from our board! Great Job to you and your team Scott!
Thanks - we'll try to keep the material coming.

I haven't gotten the CD with the rest of the pics yet, so I'll link a pic or two from the TrackTimePhotos preview site.

Sunday morning, the rain was coming down pretty good - I guess some tropical storm Kyle or something was coming up the coast. About half of the 130+ racers decided to start packing up and head for home. We didn't travel 2700 miles to do that, so we pulled out the passenger seat and declared ourselves to be in H-Prepared so we could run in the early group (race group 1 with all the Modified class cars).

When it came time to grid, it was really sparse as quite a few of the modified cars (with no windows), decided to wait at the back of the grid with people holding umbrellas on each side. With our stock class car, Ralph had the windows up and I believe Pink Floyed in the CD player. We also have a working windshield defogger. Since we changed class for that race, we had to start from the back as well, but we positioned ourselves just ahead of all those mod cars staying dry. So at race time, the grid rolled out with us near the back of the field with a lot of the fastest cars in the group.

The rain was really coming down - I even waited under the grandstands during until time to radio the start to Ralph. When the green fell, Ralph put down the throttle and the twin turbo started propelling him through the field. I just hoped for the best that everyone would make it through turn 1 without a massive pileup - and they did. It's hard to see a lot of the track from the front straight, but as they came around for the end of lap 1, Ralph had moved from the back of the field to 6th!!!:eyebulge: The mod class guys were coming as well. Randy Mueller from the pole had taken off and had a huge lead, but on lap 4, he wrecked. And then another car went off - and then another. When the leaders came by, instead of a full course yellow, they just threw the checker to avoid more mayhem. By that time, Ralph was 4th overall and the only 3 cars ahead of him were 3 modified class cars that were the only cars that had passed him during the race.

Ralph being chased by one of the 3 top Mod class cars.

The top 3 finishers of that race
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #163
bigslick82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Sounds like Ralph had a heck of a run in awful conditions. Nice job guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #164
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick82 View Post
Sounds like Ralph had a heck of a run in awful conditions. Nice job guys!
Driving in the rain is right in Ralph's wheelhouse - he really enjoys it. So many times I'll hear drivers say that they think they have an advantage in the rain, but in reality, most of them do not. In Ralph's case, we always prefer rain if we can get it.

With the rain coming down in buckets, after the race, we actually drove the car and our other cars under the front straight grandstands to configure the car for ride home and pack up - it was the only place we could find dry ground.

All packed up, I headed for Virginia to see family for a couple of days. Managed to get out of PA before flash flooding started happening. Heading down state route 15, stopped to eat at a typical roadside diner near Tioga, Pa.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #165
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Re-newed after visiting family in Va. for a couple of days, I set off on Wed. morning West to get to PIR by Friday afternoon. Another daunting task. But I had learned a thing or two from my journey East. I had extra tape lines below the windshield banner for when the sun got low in the West and I had a bunch of tape lines across the back window (a night racing trick) to help with the blinding headlights at night.

Well, the first day is the one where you're in the best shape, so that is the day you have to make it as far as you can as fast as you can - hence the lack of pictures. I left Richmond, Va. around 6:30 AM on I-64 West and connected to I-81 South past Charlottesville. That takes you by Blacksburg, Va. (Va. Tech) and Bristol, Tenn. and connects to 40W at Knoxville. Very nice scenery of rolling mountians pretty much the whole drive until you get west of Nashville. Just the occasional looky-lue at a gas station asking "Who are you - are you famous?" :biggrin:

I get to Nashville around 3 PM on Wed. and take the north loop around the city that goes by the Grand Ole' Opry, etc. A little traffic, but not too bad, and then head towards Memphis. All the while, I'm noticing the Game Dept. picking up roadkill along the highway - everything from deer to racoons. Tenn. is a long state and it's nearly dark by the time I get close to Memphis. And the sun angle is very tough by that time with no sun visors, so I decided to pull off for gas, food and a power nap. At the truck stop, the lady at the register tells me to watch out for animals at night on the highway (I had just seen the Game Dept. all day picking stuff up). So as it turns night and I head toward Memphis and Arkansas, I spend as much time behind 18 wheelers as I can. I pretty much do that all night until I got West of Oklahoma City. Feeling good about making it that far in one day, I settled in at another truck stop for some sleep before the sun came up.

Woke up Thursday AM, but at this point time and days were all running together, but I grad a truck stop shower and hit the road. And the road hits back. I-40 across Ark. and Okla. is not in great shape and with a race car, you really feel it. But I make it across to Amarillo, Texas for late lunch at Starbucks. The crew there was really interested in the car and what I was up to.

Ah, almost on the home stretch and I have an invitation to visit MikeO in Santa Fe that afternoon/evening. It's a nice scenic drive from Amarillo to Santa Fe and I get to The Plaza in time for an early dinner.

Then we go to MikeO's beautiful home in the hills where a very weary traveller gets a much needed night's sleep. Thanks again - I certainly enjoyed my stopover in Santa Fe and hope to see it again some day.

But Friday was going to be a busy day, so I'm up early and off to Albequerque to meet up with Bimmer Magazine writer, Zach Mayne. On the way, I pass by the Balloon Festival. The picture below does not do justice to how many balloons were in the sky.

I get to Zach's before 10:00 AM and it's not long before we're rolling towards Phoenix and PIR race track (where Zach had never been to before). Again, very scenic drive across scenes from Western movies as we head toward Flagstaff. Even stopped off for some pottery and Kachina dolls
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #166
Eddie_440i
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Bmw 440i GC

Just love this car, Red and silver looks sooo good

Keep it up
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #167
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_125i View Post
Just love this car, Red and silver looks sooo good

Keep it up
Thanks. Finally got this pic from the track photographer. Still amazing how guys were trying to race with rain falling that hard

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:36 PM   #168
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

well done. and thank you for the picture. i have another one of your car on teh desktop of one of my computers, this will go on another, replacing my own car! LOL!

when i was in the US i drove a few times from UVA to Vanderbilt and the scenery was awesome most of the way. i agree, they are lovely roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #169
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #170
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Thanks guys

After Watkins Glen, there were races at PIR (Phoenix), back again to Sear's Point in Oct. and the season finale at Buttonwillow

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #171
TonyTone
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 VERT

very nicely done g/l
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #172
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytone View Post
very nicely done g/l
Thanks - now that we've had some time off in the off-season, we'll be getting things in order for what I believe will be our first event in early March

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #173
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Great job guys! We gotta hook up sometime.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #174
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
Great job guys! We gotta hook up sometime.
I'd like that. I'm working 2nd shift this week, so I may be able to come by your shop on Thursday or Friday and say 'hi'
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #175
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Hi all -

The car is at Impact Engineering in San Jose getting some brake cooling ducts fabricated so we can get cooling to the front brakes.

I spoke to Steve Dinan, and after Impact Engineering is done, the car will go down the 101 to Morgan for some more performance products:

1) Oil Cooler Kit

http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=783&page=1

2) Stage 2 Suspension components

http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=792&page=1

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 12:41 AM   #176
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Hi All -

Looking ahead to the racing for '09. For this year we're looking at:

March 7-8 PIR

May 30-31 Cal. Speedway 135i

Oct. 2-4 Road Atlanta 135

Considering Oct. 23-25 at Mid-Ohio

Oct. 31-1 Infineon 135i

Nov. 21-22 Willow Springs 135i

Last edited by scottn2retro; 02-23-2009 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0