BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #23
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

the day i ll able to charge an electric car easily where ever i go i ll buy one.. till that time feel like i ll have to caryy big big powerbank..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #24
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
starting $8K less after incentives compared to the base MX 75D. nicer interior, traditional exterior. the qualities crossover buyers are looking for. not performance or 30 miles more range or fancy falcon doors or 7 seats.
I just saw one parked at work.
Exceedingly conservative, unassuming exterior styling, very similar to Q5. I would have missed that it was an e-Tron, had it not parked in an electric charging spot.

Seating for 5 inside vs. 7 in MX, slower 0-60 by a second+ to the slowest MX trim, starts at $75K and goes up from there. $82K with driver assist package, that is still a decade behind Tesla's autopilot.

I think it will be more directly competing with a $69K (and IMHO better looking) Jaguar I-Pace, then MX.
I wish VW well, and am glad that they are seriously trying to figure out EV market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanfall View Post
if its electric, why leave that huge front grill there for nothing other than increasing air drag?
Exactly.
VW/Audi prioritized "fitting in" with the existing herd of vehicles over doing applying EV-specific styling queues.
Front grill is a total waste of space and an aerodynamic handicap on EVs.

Quote:
i think it's a tempting alternative to anyone shopping for a MX 75D without plans for roadtrips.
... and no desire for coolness or tech.
Tesla carries "cool" brand appeal, way above what VW and BMW have to offer these days.
I just came back from M850i test drive (M Tour). Tesla's Autopilot, while imperfect, is a decade above what the latest tech that VW/Audi and BMW can buy off the shelf.

Quote:
proposed production volume of 50K units a year, they are positioned to sell every single one of them.
Not anymore.
Since VW/Audi haven't (yet) invested into battery supply chain, they got screwed by LG, and are lowering production plans due to battery shortages:

https://electrek.co/2019/04/18/audi-...tery-shortage/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy
Battery swapping which Tesla demonstrated under 2 min. might be a solution for current generation Teslas.
Which Tesla promptly abandoned. Not sure why they never followed through.
Because that would be a solution to the problem that doesn't really exist.
Putting aside logistical and financial challenges of battery swapping, ability to recharge 50+% of 300+mile battery in ~15 minutes, makes on-the-go EV recharging a seamless. And both Tesla and VW are actively working on improving the recharging speeds even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
When solid state battery tech arrives, overnight the current gen electric vehicles specs will be completely outdated.
Does G80 make F80 completely outdated?
Not exactly. But new models do make old ones look less appealing, though no less functional.

Mass produced solid state batteries are still 10+ years away from reality, so I would not worry about that too much.

a
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #25
Flump
Private
Rep
Drives: 440xiGC, 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI View Post
Which Tesla promptly abandoned. Not sure why they never followed through.
This is one reason I want to see it in Formula E. Initially their idea was for drivers to jump into a different car, but pit stops would be awesome if they could change out battery packs. I'd almost watch races just for that if they could do it quickly. Then, the technology would move its way into passenger cars similar to how traction control and ABS did for F1. Doesn't seem to be the case for the future though.
Appreciate 0