BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
Seabee_1
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .l..

ScanGauge 2 pod build

I was soliciting opinions on a ScanGauge pod mockup I was working on and a member suggested i do a DIY so I'm giving it a shot. I'm using ABS plastic to build a ScanGuage 2 specific gauge pod and my original thoughts were to make a mold out of wood to form the plastic with. I realized though that many people would not have access to a professional wood shop for this kind of work so that was out. I also didn't want people to have to buy any expensive tools to make this work. Basically I wanted this to be replicated as inexpensively as possible. Full disclosure, this method certainly isn't the quickest, but it is DIY cheap and for me produced a good result. Patience is required and safety is paramount, as such the use of proper safety gear is highly recommended. If you decide to try this it is at your own risk.

1. Figure out where you want to mount the gauge and make a mock-up pod with cardboard or construction paper and masking tape. Just keep trimming and taping together cardboard/construction papeer until you get the shape you want that fits where you want it. Once you have the mock-up completed take the tape off and save the pieces as they will be used as templates for cutting the ABS. If you don't already have a ScanGauge 2, the dimensions for it are on ScanGauge's website.

2. Obviously get some ABS sheet. A 12" x 12" x 1/8" thick piece of ABS sheet on Amazon is approximately $4. Get two just in case. I don't recommend anything thinner as you will be doing some filing and sanding later. Once you have cut out the pieces of ABS from your cardboard templates, save the scraps.

3. If you have never done any type of fabrication, no worries, You Tube is your friend here. Watch a few videos on welding and molding plastic. Don't worry about the expensive tools some of these people use. A $7 nonadjustable cheapo soldering iron works just fine for "welding" plastic. Just make sure you weld both sides of the plastic and don't worry about how ugly it is at this point. Once I had the ABS welded together, I formed the plastic into the basic shape I wanted by hand after heating it with a propane torch. Make sure you keep the propane torch constantly moving or you'll burn the plastic. You just want to heat it enough to become pliable enough to form. The plastic will be hot so protect your hands. Once the basic shape was complete I trimmed off excess plastic with a razor blade or hacksaw. Wear eye protection.

4. Now that you have your rough pod complete you can begin filing and sanding down the welds and getting the pod to its final shape. Don't worry if you have cut off, filed off or sanded off too much plastic. Those scraps I told you to save earlier can be used as filler by simply using the plastic welding technique that by now you should be pretty good at.

5. Once you are happy with your final shape you'll need to decide how to finish it. I decided to finish mine in black vinyl or leather. Which ever one I find first that most closely matches the color and texture of the dash. I have not completed this step but will post pics as soon as I do.

Last edited by Seabee_1; 08-23-2018 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Seabee_1
Private
No_Country
Rep

Initial cardboard mockup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
Seabee_1
Private
No_Country
Rep

Tools used. Sandpaper, towel and gloves not shown.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
Seabee_1
Private
No_Country
Rep

Close up of soldering iron tip filed down to a shape that worked for me. Apologies for the crappy resolution.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Seabee_1
Private
No_Country
Rep

Picture of what your welds will look like before sanding.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Seabee_1
Private
No_Country
Rep

Back final shape. On the right there is a little booger where I held the propane torch for too long in one spot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
Seabee_1
Private
No_Country
Rep

Front final shape. On either side of the middle you can make out where I filled two holes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
Seabee_1
Private
No_Country
Rep

Side view. The angle when sitting on the dash puts the front leaning 4 degrees toward the driver.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Seabee_1
Private
No_Country
Rep

Sitting on the dash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #10
Seabee_1
Private
No_Country
Rep

Outside view.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
Seabee_1
Private
No_Country
Rep

I hope that helps somebody out. I'll post up more pics once the upholstery is complete.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:50 PM   #12
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Looking good! Interested to see the finished product