BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

20k Service;Good-Bad-Ugly!

So just brought my 128 vert for its 20k service.
Rather than post in mulitple threads will just sumize here.
Issues;
Oil Change
Check Brakes
Window Rattles
Premature seat wear
Tire Rotation
70% Tint
Do Not Wash (NO WASH)
I-Pod connection loose..goes off by itself
Program only to get clown nose to bink

Well here's how it went.
We'll to start at least my car was not misplaced upon pick-up only took 15-20 minutes to get car (not 1 1/2 hours like last time).
No problems with oil and brakes.
I explained that window is rattling on certain roads. They could not duplicate rattle. (of course)!
My seat is wearing by the lubar area they claim it is normal wear.
See pic below...should real leather seats wear like this aftert 2 years.. (on a luxury car)
They rotated my tires and alos had no problem charging me $55 to do it!
When discussed same with SA was told that tire rotation is not part of "routine maintenance".
When discussed I said it probably even says in manual to rotate after 10k. He said it is not part of BMW no cost maintaince program. We got into a whole discussiion about tire wear etc, and after a whil he said "np, I will remove that charge".
Btw, I told him really wanted to rotate tires also so can clean front ones better since the front get soo much brake dust than rears. Also asked him to please clean rims.
When car came back not only were the rims not clean, they were black with grease and muck! Someone who worked there even wrote their initals on the rim (WTF) in the grease.
When asked to please clean I was told..."You said no wash"!
...they cleaned the rims and left soap residue all over the car.
I really like the 70% tint. It just darkens a bit and know the cops will not bust chops. Would of liked a bit darker but then I know would be flirting with trouble. (will post pic asap)
They replaced my I-Pod cable, guess will find out if that was the problem!
Finally, was told program alone will not make clown nose blink, told the system needs a "receiver" to activate CN. ...sounds like BS to me!
Overall not a terrible experiance but not totally happy either but I still love my 1 and could'nt wait to give back the 328XI loaner!
[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

The seat wear is normal to me, be more gentle getting in and out of the car.
      03-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
rramachand
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

What dealership did you visit?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

seat wear is normal. tire rotation is a normal charge for dealerships. cleaning the rims when you don't want the car washed is a non sequitur from the dealership's standpoint. you have to have the alarm to make the clown nose blink on the siemens ecu.

srsly, don't have odd expectations and things are much easier.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

I hate to be a jerk here, but you're sounding real stuck-up ish right now with the majority of this....

Tire rotation. Nowhere does it say this is part of the maintenance. You're damn lucky you were able to have them drop the charge. This is a nicety on the dealerships part.

The wear on the seats looks normal if you're not being careful getting in and out.

Do a search on the clown nose blinking... I don't think anyone has actual proof they got theirs to work without ANYTHING new installed to it. i.e. for the 135, it's not just a simple reprogram.

And you're actually complaining about the oversight on the rims? C'mon bud.... you specifically told them not to clean your car. After all the bitching and moaning people do when they find out their car was cleaned when they requested it not be, I guarantee that was what was noted and all anyone saw. I'm not surprised they just did a rush job on the rims and left soap residue.... It's like ordering a tbone, asking for the filet side to be rare, but the strip side to be well done. (poor example)

(I agree the initials thing is ridiculous...but you can't be 100% certain it was someone that works there that did that)

Sorry if this is coming down harsh, bad day
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I hate to be a jerk here, but you're sounding real stuck-up ish right now with the majority of this....

Tire rotation. Nowhere does it say this is part of the maintenance. You're damn lucky you were able to have them drop the charge. This is a nicety on the dealerships part.

The wear on the seats looks normal if you're not being careful getting in and out.

Do a search on the clown nose blinking... I don't think anyone has actual proof they got theirs to work without ANYTHING new installed to it. i.e. for the 135, it's not just a simple reprogram.

And you're actually complaining about the oversight on the rims? C'mon bud.... you specifically told them not to clean your car. After all the bitching and moaning people do when they find out their car was cleaned when they requested it not be, I guarantee that was what was noted and all anyone saw. I'm not surprised they just did a rush job on the rims and left soap residue.... It's like ordering a tbone, asking for the filet side to be rare, but the strip side to be well done. (poor example)

(I agree the initials thing is ridiculous...but you can't be 100% certain it was someone that works there that did that)

Sorry if this is coming down harsh, bad day
NP, I can take criticism, especially when I deserve it!
Post did sound a bit dicky upon 2nd reading...
Just to mention..
I thought the rotation was included, would have no problem paying if only was told of charge beforehand.
My 325 is 6 years old and have no seat wear like this??!!
Here's the thread on the clown nose, why I thought it would work..
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365930

As far as the rims go, my SA suggested they only wash rims and not entire car!
He noted same on ticket. Only was annoyed because rims were really clean when dropped off and given back to me really dirty.
I might of been having a bad day too tho.
Overall was pretty satisfyed with the Rallye BMW Service.
Yeah, and it was nice of SA to remove charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

The seat wear being "normal" is BS. I've had half a dozen cars with leather seats and none of them cracked and peeled like this after two years. Mine look a lot like yours do. It's poor quality leather, and it's obvious because there are two pieces stitched together and one is cracking and the other isn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

That thread link is a fail... it does say in there multiple times that you can't get the clown nose to blink without an alarm installed/some kind of workaround circuit board installed (like from EAS). In both cases you still need a reprogram to get it to work. You even have a post in there acknowledging all of this?

The seat wear is normal (for the quality of leather that BMW uses). I'd say it is a bit rough looking for a two year old car, but you need to not slide your ass accross the bolsters when you get in. Also, using some leather lotion will help wonders on prevention because it'll make the leather more pliable, so when you do slide accross the bolster it stands a better chance of stretching and not cracking. I actually wanted the pleather on my 1er for this reason. My Z4 seats were trashed after a few years (though not as bad as yours) and I didn't want this on my new 135.

If you are having a bad day, don't take it out on your SA or the dealership, its not their fault that you were misinformed.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

vw gives free tire rotation, why doesn't bmw?

it's not really free though, they charge more for the cars because of that "free" maintenance
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgad View Post
NP, I can take criticism, especially when I deserve it!
Post did sound a bit dicky upon 2nd reading...
Just to mention..
I thought the rotation was included, would have no problem paying if only was told of charge beforehand.
My 325 is 6 years old and have no seat wear like this??!!
Here's the thread on the clown nose, why I thought it would work..
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365930

As far as the rims go, my SA suggested they only wash rims and not entire car!
He noted same on ticket. Only was annoyed because rims were really clean when dropped off and given back to me really dirty.
I might of been having a bad day too tho.
Overall was pretty satisfyed with the Rallye BMW Service.
Yeah, and it was nice of SA to remove charge.

Not being told about the charge would certainly annoy me. I'm surprised they didn't give you an estimate for it. Without telling you of the charge, it would be to the SA's prerogative to remove the charge (as you could likely fight it).

Rims went from clean to dirty? Well then I can certainly understand that as well. The SA was stupid to suggest that, but I can certainly understand a little frustration from that.

Other than that, I like that you're accepting the criticism and realized you might have been a little harsh. Hey, sh!t happens, as long as you realize it
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post

The seat wear is normal (for the quality of leather that BMW uses). I'd say it is a bit rough looking for a two year old car, but you need to not slide your ass accross the bolsters when you get in. Also, using some leather lotion will help wonders on prevention because it'll make the leather more pliable, so when you do slide accross the bolster it stands a better chance of stretching and not cracking..

Mine's doing it on both sides, and I've used leather conditioner on it at least once a month since it was new. None of my other cars have had this problem, so I'm not sure why it should be acceptable on this one.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

All leather seat will wear like this. It is just a matter of time.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Mine's doing it on both sides, and I've used leather conditioner on it at least once a month since it was new. None of my other cars have had this problem, so I'm not sure why it should be acceptable on this one.
I never said it was acceptable, I'd be pissed too (I was as a matter of fact when my Z4 was showing the same issues). Newer BMWs just have shitty leather seats, which is why I opted for the vinyl when I got mine. It sucks that BMW won't fix it, but you can't do much about it unless you want to get a class action lawsuit together and then wait a decade for some hope of a payout.

Not really one to take sides, but that is going to be the standard response from any BMW service center after 2 years of ownership. If you want to escalate it then you would need proof that you were doing what's necessary for maintenance and that the seats were cracking prematurely. He's had is car for two years... sadly there isn't anything he can do about it at this point. The minute it started to crack he should have taken it in and said something about it. Maybe if it was only 6 months old at that point he could have gotten a new cover... but now its his word against theirs, and who's to say that some 400lb woman wasn't using the car on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It sucks that BMW won't fix it, but you can't do much about it unless you want to get a class action lawsuit together and then wait a decade for some hope of a payout.

Actually, there's another option, and after this car it's one I'm probably going to exercise......never setting foot in another BMW showroom.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
Feyd
Major
Rep

Sucks... BMW is kind of loosing a lot of steam these days because of shitty dealer services, etc.

Leaving the brand might be the only solution. At least that's what I'm telling my wife we I get a 911. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At least that's what I'm telling my wife we I get a 911. LOL.

Now that's a good spin on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #17
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

If the Leather wear is normal like this which is BS INMHO then they should not call them self a Luxury car manufacturer.. My Last two Bimmers did not do this in the first 4 years (3 ers).. My Sister in Law Lexus IS350 do not have this (2.5 years) my in-laws Mercedes S600 did not not do this (Dah) 3 years..

So if my current 1 did it within the first 4 years then my CA will have to give a huge f*** discount on my next car and if he said this is BMW and i will **** in his ***..

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #18
Feyd
Major
Rep

The leather issues have been beaten to death on other forums... its just weak sauce leather. *shrug*
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Sorry to say this, but you can't have big side bolsters without wear.

BTW my non-sport seats look brand new, with zero wear in that area since March of '08.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Sorry to say this, but you can't have big side bolsters without wear.

You absolutely can. I sold my GTO with 70k miles on it, and the seats weren't showing any wear at all, other than being a little shiney. Same for the Trans Am before that. My 318ti wasn't much worse than my 135i is right now, and it had 140k miles on it.

I'm not sure how BMW has conditioned so many owners to think that this is just the nature of the beast. It's a quality issue with the leather they're using, and nothing more.

Here's a GTO seat for example:

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #21
Phased
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

BMW doesn't recommend rotating tires. That's why it's not included.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #22
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phased View Post
BMW doesn't recommend rotating tires. That's why it's not included.
True. Check your 325 manual & your 1er manual. For years, BMW has recommended either no rotation or rotating at ridiculously short intervals of 3~5k miles. And since you apparently don't have the sport package, you have one of the few BMWs which don't have staggered wheels these days.

Last time I had it done at my dealer, it was $40 which they let me know in front. So I buy tires from an independant shop which gives me free rotation and balancing for the life of the tires.

Incidentally, my dealer does a hand wash and (without my asking)managed to somehow remove baked on brake dust from my E46's front wheels which had eluded me for weeks.

Tom
Appreciate 0