Count the number of 1M's and M2's on Autotrader....say no more
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Overall [the M2] is an easier car to drive faster, but it's less visceral, and feels number at the same time. [...]
I know that several people that have switched from the 1M prefer the M2, but I would say that generally most that feel that way are using the car as a daily driver.
As a weekend car, (and daily for some) the 1M is incredibly more enjoyable because it really requires more attention, and the tactile feeling from driving it is more rewarding to me.
For those that need a daily driver or a warranty then the M2 is easily a magnificent car. If you want driving to be more of a special occasion, then the 1M is the better car.
In the end it comes down to personal preferences and moods. And as life moves on, you may go through stages/changes with the possibility of re-calibrating views and preferences.

Sometimes you may be in the mood to experience the thrill of the adrenaline rush of for example correcting sudden 'back-end dancing' through the twisties (or the anticipation to it). Sometimes you may like to be in the zone of 'flying' the car through fast corners, with the car perfectly staying on course without requiring additional driver input/corrections. Sometimes you're in the mood for a so-called 'spirited drive', sometimes you just prefer getting to some destination, enjoying the scenery in a relaxed fashion, and dislike twitchy road behavior in the rain or strong side-winds. Or as some song goes: "But it's the wonders I perform | Pulling rabbits out of hats | When sometimes I'd prefer | Simply to wear them."

Even today, it's still my view that - though both cars share the same bloodline - the 1M and M2 each have their own character in such a way that, in my book, none trumps the other one as 'overall best' or 'final pick'. Not convincing myself about that statement; this is what I genuinely think. I recently drove both cars back-to-back in the mountains again and never stopped liking both.

Great versatility of both cars: compact, high-performance, agile 4 seaters with convenient boot space, cool presence and the possibility to provide 'manual gearbox' joy (as stock feature). OK for picking up kids and groceries, and also OK to take it to the track or mountains.

So, yes, at some moments preference for the 1M, at some moments preference for the M2, and at some moments it doesn't matter, actually.

If you'd ask me to point out one major difference between both cars. Frank Isenberg (BMW M) was highly involved in the development of both the 1M and M2. From my experience with both cars, I believe what's stated below in a 2015 interview to be very accurate:
"The 1M rode like it had ants in the pants, and you caught its oversteer more with punches than steering inputs. I ask if that feistiness was intentional, or a by-product of the M melting-pot. ォBy-productサ, confirms Isenberg. ォWe were still learning with the turbocharged engine. For the M2, the ride is much more compliant, and it's not so tricky at the limit.サ"
Preference for rather 'wild' or instead for more 'domesticated'/'compliant' - a journey with 'the wolf' or with 'the German Shepherd dog' ? Frankly speaking, I feel more at ease when my wife drives my M2 than when she drove my 1M. As always, she's only willing to drive my M cars when I really insist, as she's kinda 'scared' of the high power output. Good thing that it's a 6MT, otherwise she would refuse by all means, as she dislikes automatic gearboxes.

Last edited by Artemis; 11-12-2017 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Corrected a typo
Appreciate 1
Esteban43333.00
      11-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #25
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Overall [the M2] is an easier car to drive faster, but it's less visceral, and feels number at the same time. [...]
I know that several people that have switched from the 1M prefer the M2, but I would say that generally most that feel that way are using the car as a daily driver.
As a weekend car, (and daily for some) the 1M is incredibly more enjoyable because it really requires more attention, and the tactile feeling from driving it is more rewarding to me.
For those that need a daily driver or a warranty then the M2 is easily a magnificent car. If you want driving to be more of a special occasion, then the 1M is the better car.
In the end it comes down to personal preferences and moods. And as live moves on, you may go through stages/changes with the possibility of re-calibrating views and preferences.

Sometimes you may be in the mood to experience the thrill of the adrenaline rush of for example correcting sudden 'back-end dancing' through the twisties (or the anticipation to it). Sometimes you may like to be in the zone of 'flying' the car through fast corners, with the car perfectly staying on course without requiring additional driver input/corrections. Sometimes you're in the mood for a so-called 'spirited drive', sometimes you just prefer getting to some destination, enjoying the scenery in a relaxed fashion, and dislike twitchy road behavior in the rain or strong side-winds. Or as some song goes: "But it's the wonders I perform | Pulling rabbits out of hats | When sometimes I'd prefer | Simply to wear them."

Even today, it's still my view that - though both cars share the same bloodline - the 1M and M2 each have their own character in such a way that, in my book, none trumps the other one as 'overall best' or 'final pick'. Not convincing myself about that statement; this is what I genuinely think. I recently drove both cars back-to-back in the mountains again and never stopped liking both.

Great versatility of both cars: compact, high-performance, agile 4 seaters with convenient boot space, cool presence and the possibility to provide 'manual gearbox' joy (as stock feature). OK for picking up kids and groceries, and also OK to take it to the track or mountains.

So, yes, at some moments preference for the 1M, at some moments preference for the M2, and at some moments it doesn't matter, actually.

If you'd ask me to point out one major difference between both cars. Frank Isenberg (BMW M) was highly involved in the development of both the 1M and M2. From my experience with both cars, I believe what's stated below in a 2015 interview to be very accurate:
"The 1M rode like it had ants in the pants, and you caught its oversteer more with punches than steering inputs. I ask if that feistiness was intentional, or a by-product of the M melting-pot. テδεつづδづつォBy-productテδεつづδづつサ, confirms Isenberg. テδεつづδづつォWe were still learning with the turbocharged engine. For the M2, the ride is much more compliant, and it's not so tricky at the limit.テδεつづδづつサ"
Preference for rather 'wild' or instead for more 'domesticated'/'compliant' - a journey with 'the wolf' or with 'the German Shepherd dog' ? Frankly speaking, I feel more at ease when my wife drives my M2 than when she drove my 1M. As always, she's only willing to drive my M cars when I really insist, as she's kinda 'scared' of the high power output. Good thing that it's a 6MT, otherwise she would refuse by all means, as she dislikes automatic gearboxes.

[IMG]http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...9&d=1499004426[/IMG]
Yeah I didn't intend it to put down the M2. I think it's the coolest BMW made and the only thing I like now from them. When it came out I mentioned for example that I much preferred the cockpit of my 1M but thought the sound and looks were better in the M2. I still think the M2 sounds better but the appearance is what is wearing off on me. I still think the 1M looks awesome in an ugly way but cool nonetheless. But the aura or previous awesomeness of the styling is wearing off. I see them now and no longer think they are a better looking car. It looks somewhat common considering current BMW styling and looks big in person. A little pudgy where the 1M looks like a
Skinny guy with big arms and legs.

So I mean no disrespect it is because I originally felt it was a better looking car that I came to realize that it's losing attractiveness to me. In pictures it looks good but in person it looks as if there is air under the bulges whereas the 1M looks like captain America in a tight shirt.

Just first world discussion and I posted for 1M crowd because I think the 1M looks different from other BMWs that it's holding well with age.

I still wish I could get an M2 without the stupid screen on top of dash because the M2 is so close to 1M but easily replaced. There is a burden that comes with owning a car that is hard to replace. My dislike for the stupid screen and I drive on top of dash has been further reinforced because I just bought the wife a new GTI with the nav screen lower in the center console and it works great without the distraction. I only know it's there when I back up or want to change radio station. It is effective and unobtrusive the way a driver-focused car should be. It also has a great matte low glare lighting and buttons for categories instead of having to idrive every option.

Anyway, congrats on M2. Awesome car sincerely, I just no longer lust at the body shape like I did before.

Now the sound is a different story. Lust still there!

Glad You're still around. You're like the BASF commercial. You didn't invent 1addicts you just make it better!

Cheers mate!
Appreciate 2
Artemis29276.50
      11-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #26
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

i don't know what you guys are going on about, but the m2 is still a major looker to me, everytime i see one i still get super excited, i'm basically this guy (just the first 5 seconds):

Last edited by digwm1; 11-12-2017 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0