BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
cometman
Rep
Drives: e82 coupe

Amplifier water damage e82 help

hello

a couple of months ago my wife spiled a bottle of water on the left side of the trunk and speakers started making noise and woofers started popping underneath the seats, even with the car off and radio off.

I removed the the linner and found the amplifier with water on top and underneath, removed it and dryed the water outside and inside the amp, attached again and no more speaker noise but the woofers did not seem to work.

The thing is now i dont have any bass, the woofers are not working at all, it if i turn the volume up i start to hear one of the woofers popping some kind of cut off bangs, and the other silent so i figured the water must fried the amp. Bought another similar amplifier from ebay, arrived and switched the amp, and the result is the same. all speakers work but no bass.

Now i dont know what to do, should i buy new woofers? is there any kind of fuse for the woofers?
And since the ebay amp was not new i really dont know if a got a bad amp as well, or if mine was good i and bought another without a reason, since the result is the same.
Should i buy new woofers as well? or the problem could be from another part?
can i buy harman kardon woofers from the top hifi and are they plug & play like the normal ones? same connections?

i have the Hi-fi bmw sound with cic professional idrive
thanks for any help

Last edited by cometman; 06-12-2019 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

It won't likely be the actual woofers. They're just dumb speakers (dumb meaning they are just coils and magnets). They do what they are told with the signal, frequency and amplitude sent to them. It's somehow related to the signal chain (including the amp).
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
cometman
Rep
Drives: e82 coupe

could it be the radio unit with a blown up chanel?

Last edited by cometman; 06-12-2019 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

It would make sense. The woofers do what the amp tells them, the amp does what the head unit tells it. This is assuming there's not some other unit in the chain between them.

Someone w/ more knowledge about BMW systems should chime in, please don't buy parts based on my thoughts. I've been doing 12V automtive electronics for... oh 30 years now, but the way our systems are so integrated and my lack of experience with your particular version (i.e. is it analog, digital, the "MOST" system, etc.) I could be easily missing something.

And there's a chance it's actually a woofer, an electrical issue of some sort, could it overextend the travel and busted a foam surround or spider or something else like that?

In the "old days" we start swapping cables, speakers, etc. and see what if the issue swaps or stays in the same place. Not sure how easily done that is for your car.
Appreciate 0