BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
JPuehl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

N55: Front crank seal orientation for installation?

Does anyone know what the orientation is supposed to be when installing the front crank seal on an N55? "Pucker" side in or out?

I've replaced my seal twice and both times the BMW seal comes setup on the white plastic guide with the "pucker" pointing towards the closed end of the guide, which would be pointing towards the outside of the engine if installed that way. The seal I removed from my car (with about 35k miles at the time) and what I have seen in videos online have the "pucker" pointing into the motor, which not only is counter-intuitive but harder to get right and requires you to change the orientation on the guide. Seems if the "pucker" was supposed to point into the engine the supplier would put it that way on the guide. I've read that the arrow on the flat side should be installed pointing the direction of crank rotation which would have the "pucker" pointing inside the motor. You can see the arrow on the flat side of the seal in the pic of the bottom of the install guide.

I need to change the same seal on my wifes 335i w/N55 and want to make sure I get it right (this time if I haven't been doing it right on my car).
Attached Images

Swift Spec R springs : Koni adjustable shocks : G.C. Street Camber plates : E9# M3 FSB & front & rear control arm bits : VRSF 7Ē HD FMIC & inlet/outlets & catless DP : Phoenix Racing CP : WhiteLine RSFBs & diff bushings: 1M front strut tower brace : JB4 map 5 : MHD BMS BEF : Quaife LSD : 255 track & street tires
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

So there are two different style seals, a thick one and a skinny one like yours, they changed it at some point in I think 2012. The lip is supposed to point in towards the engine, the reason the white piece is installed backwards is because youíre supposed to slide it from there onto the installation special tool which bolts to the end of the crank, and then you press it from there into the engine.

Iíve never tried changing one without the tool, but be careful it is easy to damage the sealing surface or flip it inside out and it is hard to tell if you did once it is installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
bbnks2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Looks like its upside down on the white cup... this isnt difficult... it should only go in one way and it should be very obvious lol
Appreciate 0