Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      10-02-2018, 08:13 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Sad. I had just started thinking about a euro delivery with the family next year. I guess that's out now.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

They should just start making the manual a more expensive option. Then enthusiasts get their manuals, and BMW makes some money.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

I'm thinking in the near future only M's will have a manual option. All other standard models will be automatic.

Then again, 2019 M5 is no longer available in a manual
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 12:13 AM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
I'm thinking in the near future only M's will have a manual option. All other standard models will be automatic.

Then again, 2019 M5 is no longer available in a manual
Hopefully for another generation. Actually, that was one of the big differences between BMW and all the other makers. Most of them only offered manuals on cheaper models and that lost them some business. At least from me. When I was shopping for a sedan, I looked at Lexus. manual only in IS250. Audi S3, only base A3 had manual. For a while Mercedes only offered on C250. They never understood that many manual buyers were not getting manuals for cost saving! BMW was the only one that offered it in their top cars. That was a huge difference. Audi recently dropped manuals and they said because no one was buying them. I tried to special order an S3 manual and they said no. As did others. Of course they didn't sell because automatics cost the same now.

The real blow here is that offering a manual in the 3 series, the bread and butter car, was the last true differentiator between Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity, Audi. Now, the only differentiator is the brand. The great feedback is gone. The great German instrumentation gone and replaced with blingy japanese-y instruments. If you are considering a sports sedan now you can only get automatic and that makes the Lexus IS350 a bigger threat. Higher resale value, more reliable and frankly, their new ugly styling is cool and unique. I actually like it. I can't really call it a mistake on BMW's part. The people that own BMW are multimillionares and I am not so how am I going to tell them they are making a mistake. But in business 101 you try to make your product stand out. You offer something others don't. This is one more milestone in BMWs downhill race to be just like all the other car makers. I'm sure they are laughing at my post on their cushy bed made of million of shredded 100 Euro bills.

: )

On the other hand as the owner of two of BMWs best manuals, I appreciate them that much more today!
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2430.50
///BYU268.50
      10-03-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Meh, it's a 3 series. It's targeted at people who want to turn their nose up at Camry drivers but consider themselves too young to be seen in a C-class.

It was newsworthy when they didn't provide a manual in the M5.
It'd be newsworthy if they weren't providing a manual in the M3.
It'd be newsworthy if they weren't providing the Z4 in a manual.

But a modern 3 series.. well .. it's a "drivers car" for those who want to be wrapped in cotton wool.

To be fair, the modern BMW slushbox is very, very good. ... Seriously, if you're buying a new 3 series, the lack of a 3rd peddle should be the least of your worries.
Appreciate 1
FIRSTM143.50
      10-03-2018, 07:07 AM   #7
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
It's a losing battle honestly, 2030 BMW plans to have most cars fully automated. A time will come when a generation has gone by and never bothered to consider getting a license, driving or owning a car. Some form of Alexa will be the "James, Please pull the Bentley for the evening's jaunt to the gala".

The model T vs horse and carriage has come full circle, someday folks will learn how to drive a car we desperately want to hang on to for shear novelty. like watching the video of kids trying to use a rotary phone. Your current car gets passed down to grand children who view them as something old folks crazily yelled at you all your life don't touch it!

I hope they come out with MT in a 340/440 M-sport otherwise imma gonna shoot a few instructional uber-videos impersonating Hank Azaria character in Dodgeball.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
https://www.motor1.com/news/266428/b...anual-gearbox/
Appreciate 3
10"4966.00
xQx902.50
FIRSTM143.50
      10-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #9
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Meh, it's a 3 series. It's targeted at people who want to turn their nose up at Camry drivers but consider themselves too young to be seen in a C-class.

It was newsworthy when they didn't provide a manual in the M5.
It'd be newsworthy if they weren't providing a manual in the M3.

But a modern 3 series.. well .. it's a "drivers car" for those who want to be wrapped in cotton wool.

To be fair, the modern BMW slushbox is very, very good. ... Seriously, if you're buying a new 3 series, the lack of a 3rd peddle should be the least of your worries.
Gone are the days when a base 3-series was a great entry level compact sedan for a working enthusiast. The 3-series has become a shell of what it was; just like BMW...

The modern slushboxes may be technically good but they are severely boring. Even more boring than the less capable slushboxes of the old days. Now they actually think they are sporting (they usually aren't).
duder13767.00
      10-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Current 3-Series; Meh. Regardless of transmission. I'd buy a Japanese luxury car in a heartbeat before even considering one. Lost my interest, BMW, sorry.
      10-04-2018, 02:01 AM   #11
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Current 3-Series; Meh. Regardless of transmission. I'd buy a Japanese luxury car in a heartbeat before even considering one. Lost my interest, BMW, sorry.
+1
      10-04-2018, 03:31 AM   #12
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Well that sucks.

Well, if BMW don't think people who buy 2 seater roadsters are interested in 3 pedals, the 3 series never stood a chance.
Appreciate 1
duder13767.00
      10-04-2018, 05:17 AM   #13
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well that sucks.

Well, if BMW don't think people who buy 2 seater roadsters are interested in 3 pedals, the 3 series never stood a chance.
I think it is over for this once proud brand, and I have my doubts that any other manufacturer is going to step up to the plate.

The only activity in the "driver's car" space these days is with the hot hatches, almost all of which are designed for young males who haven't outgrown their pimples. The only exception is the Golf R, which suffers from a bit of numbness, itself, including its unremarkable EPS. Or I guess you could buy a Miata, but that's anything but practical.

I will be really really surprised if I ever buy another new BMW; my 2018 M2 is probably the last one, ever. Then I will just go for comfort, reliability and function, which more or less excludes the BMW brand if one considers value for money, and especially reliability and cost of ownership after the warranty wears out. I'm glad I have a stable of older real BMWs, and hopefully some will survive long enough to accompany me into my own senescence.
      10-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #14
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well that sucks.

I think it is over for this once proud brand, and I have my doubts that any other manufacturer is going to step up to the plate.
I don't think it's over! I believe they are catering to the demand that they are seeing in the market. People vote with their wallets. Obviously, not enough are voting for our beloved manuals.

I think the manual option will always be available on a select few M models only, while non-M cars will have nothing but automatic's.

The fact that BMW has stated that the M's will be available in different variants like Competition, CS, and CSL bode well for the M Division and future Manual option.....albeit for a few M Series like 2 and 3 and maybe 8????

BMW maybe one of the last brands along with Porsche to keep the manual.....in our lifetime anyway 🙏
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #15
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it's over! I believe they are catering to the demand that they are seeing in the market. People vote with their wallets. Obviously, not enough are voting for our beloved manuals.

I think the manual option will always be available on a select few M models only, while non-M cars will have nothing but automatic's.

The fact that BMW has stated that the M's will be available in different variants like Competition, CS, and CSL bode well for the M Division and future Manual option.....albeit for a few M Series like 2 and 3 and maybe 8????

BMW maybe one of the last brands along with Porsche to keep the manual.....in our lifetime anyway 🙏
Mazda, Subaru, Honda, VW, and others have manuals. I don't think that BMW has any more commitment to them than any other brand. BMW used to make enthusiast vehicles at all levels; at this point it is arguable whether anything at all that they make is oriented to enthusiasts, as opposed to status seekers.

BMW exists to make a profit. If they can reach their goals by catering to the audience they currently cater to, all power to them as far as I am concerned. I'm not a shareholder, and I have no position to tell them how to run their business. All I can do is to decide whether or not I want to buy any of their cars.
10"4966.00
duder13767.00
      10-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #16
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

What will be interesting is the long term collectively of current and soon to be released cars. Who is going to want keep a super complicated car, with likely a hybrid power train, out of warranty? That's why I love the 1M....it's not too complex. I suppose it might not impact super exotics, but in the <$100k class, I think it will. I would rather buy an e46 M3 than an automatic new one. Apparently others think the same as the prices are going up.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 1
10"4966.00
      10-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #17
canadianbimmerlover
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M, Z4 M, M2C, M3C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well that sucks.

It seems unlikely that the next M3/M4 are going be available with a manual. I'm willing to bet they have M xDrive and the 8 speed with no manual or DCT option. The M5 and M8 are that way and it's hard to think the M3/M4 won't be similar. It'll be very interesting to see what's done with the next M2.

If anyone has any inside info that'd be great to know.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #18
canadianbimmerlover
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M, Z4 M, M2C, M3C

Quote:
Quote:
Well that sucks.

The only activity in the "driver's car" space these days is with the hot hatches, almost all of which are designed for young males who haven't outgrown their pimples. The only exception is the Golf R, which suffers from a bit of numbness, itself, including its unremarkable EPS. Or I guess you could buy a Miata, but that's anything but practical.

I will be really really surprised if I ever buy another new BMW; my 2018 M2 is probably the last one, ever. Then I will just go for comfort, reliability and function, which more or less excludes the BMW brand if one considers value for money, and especially reliability and cost of ownership after the warranty wears out. I'm glad I have a stable of older real BMWs, and hopefully some will survive long enough to accompany me into my own senescence.
Makes me pretty happy to have three manual M cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #19
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbimmerlover View Post
So do I.
      10-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #20
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbimmerlover View Post
So do I.
Each of you have 3? Post up some pics

I'm working on trying to get a nice E46 M3!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:02 AM   #21
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Well that sucks.

if you want a 3 pedals in a sporty coupe, porsche still make them in a mid engine, with comparable price as the new z4
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      10-08-2018, 03:34 AM   #22
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Each of you have 3? Post up some pics

I'm working on trying to get a nice E46 M3!
Name:  BMW1-Series_M_2.JPG
Views: 630
Size:  272.6 KB

1M from the sales listing on ebay before I bought it.

Name:  Z3M Coupe.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  514.8 KB

Z3M Coupe on its way back from Oregon where I bought it.

3rd one is a 2018 Metallic Gray M2; don't have any pics with me, however nothing special about how it looks compared to any other one, it's entirely stock.