BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #23
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
I'm much more worried about ride quality than looks/fitment, so I'll avoid spacers unless the car looks awful without 'em once lowered. I really appreciate the input. Will start with just the M3 control arms and RSFB inserts. Hoping that the -0.75 degrees of camber will compensate for the rake, even with the minimal lift in the rear from the RSFB inserts.
If you haven't gotten rid of the runflats, do that immediately - that will be a big improvement in ride comfort/quality.

BUT NOTE: The M3 control arms in the front will ADD HARSHNESS if you are sensitive to that. I kind of regret going with these, when my lower control arms needed replacement. Yes they improve feedback and the directness of the front, but the impact harshness for a daily driver in my opinion was too much. To get some camber in the front all you have to do is remove the alignment pin from the top mounts at the front, and you should be able to get up to about -0.75 or so.

Add the Dinan camber plates and you'll have a range of adjustment (because you need to remove the alignment pin) from -1.5 to -2 approximately. And they will add 5mm of height to the front to remove any rake.

Last note - even with non-runflats, the tire you choose will have a noticeable impact. An R-comp or extreme performance tire like an RE-71R will have a much stiffer sidewall than something else. I noticed a nice ride quality improvement with the Conti ExtremeContactSport compared to other similar performance tires. I dind't like the steering response (obviously), but the ride was excellent.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #24
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Do you feel like rolling the fenders is necessary? About to install the B12 kit on my 128i (also on 17") and I'm trying to avoid that. Planning on doing M3 control arms, but will also throw on camber plates is it will help mitigate scraping and avoiding having to roll the fenders.
I rolled the fenders so I can fit my 245/40-17 track tires without worrying about rubbing. There's plenty of room for my 225 square setup on 17x8 et40 wheels with some extra front camber.

If you care about ride quality I would avoid bilsteins, they are an excellent shock absorber for smooth roads and on-track but the basic off-the-shelf bilstein isn't great for daily driving. I've had them on multiple cars and I was always disappointed with the ride quality compared to a twin-tube shock for daily driving on rough roads.

Pretty much everything you listed doing is going to incrementally make the car sportier with a less compliant ride. The level of acceptable ride is different for everyone, where in SC are you? I'm in Charlotte, if you are nearby I'd give you a ride in my car so you could see what it feels like.
Appreciate 2
asbrr540.50