BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #67
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Look guys, I don't think anyone is here to bash on the 1M, some of us only suggested that the car is maybe not as exeptionnel as what all the fuss around it would suggest. I'm sure no one in here even dislike the 1M, but we are just been honest about what we think of it and if it upset some 1M owners then sorry but that's what it is, at least we are trying to be respectfull, unlike some ^^ !!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #68
ShortShiftEnvy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
1m track performance vs a gt3 is about as relevant as saying the gt3 is limited by lack of back seat. True but completely pointless
Its amusing how you read what you want to read into a statement and ignore the actual point, and then actually have the audacity to question it.

No one is comparing the two vehicles. The point is that the 1M's achilles is exposed at speed on a track. What car I used to reference this weakness is irrelevant.......
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #69
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
Am I the only one who really doesn't think it's that special? I've driven them a bunch of times, around nice twisties and romped on the gas pedal, and it really doesn't feel like anything special. Don't get me wrong, I like it and it looks great, but I don't see what all the hype is about.
You aren't the only one, no. you are in the same boat as the E90 M3 owners and many other drivers that missed out on the opportunity to own one and now are trying hard to convince yourself its nothing special!

Before ordering mine I had a 135i, several M3's and a bunch of 3 series cars. Since getting my 1M I have owned another 135i, a M3, several 3 cars and now also have a M235 and I can tell you, it is special. Not because it's so awesomely fast or beautiful but because it is the intersection of old and new. I have owned 3 different E30 M3's and won't bother owning another because as the saying goes, I've been there, done that and have the tshirt.

The 1M is a better car to drive then the E30 M3, period. It's faster, cheaper to run. Better on track (in stock form) and nicer DD. Don't get me wrong, I like and understand the love affair with E30 M3's and all the rest, but yes, the 1M is a VERY special car! Stop fighting it and buy one, if you can find one you like.
Maybe you're just trying to convince yourself that it's the best thing since sliced bread because you didn't throw down on an F80/2
      01-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #70
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I certainly prefer the better looking, more luxurious and more powerfull(thanks to a much more special engine) M3, I also think that, price taken off the equation, 99% of people would choose the M3 over the 1M, but you know what, nothing wrong about being in the 1%!
ah, so that's why I see rows and rows of M3 at BMW CCA events...
but only one 1 series M... mine! I think I kind of like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #71
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir
Quote:
I certainly prefer the better looking, more luxurious and more powerfull(thanks to a much more special engine) M3, I also think that, price taken off the equation, 99% of people would choose the M3 over the 1M, but you know what, nothing wrong about being in the 1%!
I'm sure you do, and I would to, but the reality is that most people don't choose a car for his rarity, more for what it offers as a package!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #72
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShiftEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM3 View Post
It's interesting that when looking at most of the negative comments in this thread if I look to the left by the username, and then under that there is the little description that says "Drives:"...and most of them don't drive a 1M....hum, that's weird!
Track the car at high speeds and you immediately begin to witness it's short comings.
2011 1M. 48-53k
2011 Porsche GT3 base price 114K

That's a long way to go to find shortcomings
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #73
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sure you do, and I would to, but the reality is that most people don't choose a car for his rarity, more for what it offers as a package!
fortunately we get rare, unique, AND the entire package. I know it irritates people like you so much that you must continue to incessantly repeat the same crap over and over again to dissuade us---but alas some envy is surely visible here in your posts
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #74
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Philosophy 101

Quote:
Look guys, I don't think anyone is here to bash on the 1M, some of us only suggested that the car is maybe not as exeptionnel as what all the fuss around it would suggest. I'm sure no one in here even dislike the 1M, but we are just been honest about what we think of it and if it upset some 1M owners then sorry but that's what it is, at least we are trying to be respectfull, unlike some ^^ !!

If the car wasn't exceptional then there would Be no fuss around it..

Since there is a fuss, the car is clearly exceptional!

End of today's lesson.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-02-2015 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #75
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
The greatness of a car certainly don't harm its value, but in this case where the 1M actually gained value the same year it was built, my opinion is that it's only due to the very very low number of production.

I even predict that the M2 will be just as good, in fact better then the 1M and we wont see it gaining value over time, simple principle of offer and demand!
Again, I think you are spot on with your analyses. I second that! And that is not to take away from the 1M as a car, but they are overvalued for what they are, due to the limited number built AND because BMW doesn't offer another enthusiasts car at the moment.

Quote:
Concerning negative press reviews: If it were possible it would be fun to quantify press opinions on the car...then Randy Pobst, or that terribly painful MotorTrend review would turn into the statistical outliers...as in removed from consideration! I get that you can impress everyone all of the time. But to search for a bad review because you are looking for it? Well, there aren't many to be found. I'm really sorry that someone peed in Randy's Wheaties that morning. He was sad.
I wasn't searching for a bad review, but did remember this article because it stuck out at the time, coming from a guy like Randy Pobst, who certainly knows how to drive. What I read in to that, is not that he had a bad day, but that the 1M is a good car based on all the other reviews and maybe not that great at the limit or the track where you would notice it. If most 1M owners are like the majority of the BMW owners, then only a very small percentage actually track their cars.

FWIW, I drove side by side against a 1M last year at Thunderhill. Can't remember what all his mods were but I do recall that he had an engine tune and was running Nitto NT-01 tires. So based on the hp figures the owner gave me, our power to weight ratio were nearly identical and coincidentally we were running the exact same tires (Nitto NT-01) as well. I understand that this might not mean much, but it isn't often you get a chance like this to compare these two cars. Granted my e30 M3 is very track oriented with the tunes and the set up I run, but it is also much older and 25 years behind in technology. So in one of the sessions I came up on the 1M and he had to wave me bye after a few corners. I was a little shocked he could not hang. Just as a reference, my buddy in his Cayman S is about equal to me on street tires, so he would probably run circles around the 1M and that shows you roughly where the 1M is in the pecking order. A good car, but as stated before, rare rather than special.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #76
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
1m track performance vs a gt3 is about as relevant as saying the gt3 is limited by lack of back seat. True but completely pointless
Its amusing how you read what you want to read into a statement and ignore the actual point, and then actually have the audacity to question it.

No one is comparing the two vehicles. The point is that the 1M's achilles is exposed at speed on a track. What car I used to reference this weakness is irrelevant.......
What's Amusing is how you say you didn't compare the two vehicles right after you compared the two!

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-02-2015 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #77
ShortShiftEnvy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
What's Amusing is how you say you didn't compare the two vehicles right after you compared the two!
Quote my original post and kindly point out where I'm comparing the two? This is honestly painful to discuss.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #78
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
fortunately we get rare, unique, AND the entire package. I know it irritates people like you so much that you must continue to incessantly repeat the same crap over and over again to dissuade us---but alas some envy is surely visible here in your posts
Sure I'm envious of the 1M, just like every other M3 owner!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #79
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sure I'm envious of the 1M, just like every other M3 owner!
that's really all I've gathered from your repetitive trolling. really...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #80
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Repost for SSE .. yes.. this may indeed be painful.. lol

Quote:

The guy who sold his 1M for a GT3 gets it. Track the car at high speeds and you immediately begin to witness it's short comings.

Do I need to add an ENGLISH lesson to my Philosphy lesson for the day? These are two separate sentences, however clearly the second refers to the first.

Unless perhaps you are now saying that when one tracks a GT3... one can then immediately witness it's shortcomings...
You should definitely take car to use better englsh in the future!

I'm still trying to find out why you decided to compare two vehicles where one is double the base price of the other..... oh that's right.. because you " didnt "..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-02-2015 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #81
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:

If the car wasn't exceptional then there would Be no fuss around it..

Since there is a fuss, the car is clearly exceptional!

End of today's lesson.
I almost entirely attribute the fuss around the 1M to the fact that the M brand is one of the most loved company to build sport cars and that every enthousiast of the brand recognize the E30 as one of it's best creation. Now BMW decide to build a car like the 1M, that naturally everyone associate with the E30, mostly because of size. And then they decide to only build a small amount of them for no matter what reason, so automaticly, this car was going to become some kind of an iconic car, no matter how good it is. And it is good, just not THAT good as the used market prices would suggest! Again, just my humble opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #82
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Night and day difference from my 135. Special? Unique? Maybe, maybe not, but its very different.

I plan to add an M2 to the stable next year(depending on engine specs), but it will be my daily driver that I eventually trade in for a newer model one day. The 1M? That'll still be in my garage because its THAT much fun to drive. BMW built a car that fit my needs/wants and thats why I purchased it instead of another M. Everyone who has driven it has said its "the funnest car" theyve driven, and that includes E46, E9x, and F10 owners.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #83
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
I wasn't searching for a bad review, but did remember this article because it stuck out at the time, coming from a guy like Randy Pobst, who certainly knows how to drive. What I read in to that, is not that he had a bad day, but that the 1M is a good car based on all the other reviews and maybe not that great at the limit or the track where you would notice it. If most 1M owners are like the majority of the BMW owners, then only a very small percentage actually track their cars.

FWIW, I drove side by side against a 1M last year at Thunderhill. Can't remember what all his mods were but I do recall that he had an engine tune and was running Nitto NT-01 tires. So based on the hp figures the owner gave me, our power to weight ratio were nearly identical and coincidentally we were running the exact same tires (Nitto NT-01) as well. I understand that this might not mean much, but it isn't often you get a chance like this to compare these two cars. Granted my e30 M3 is very track oriented with the tunes and the set up I run, but it is also much older and 25 years behind in technology. So in one of the sessions I came up on the 1M and he had to wave me bye after a few corners. I was a little shocked he could not hang. Just as a reference, my buddy in his Cayman S is about equal to me on street tires, so he would probably run circles around the 1M and that shows you roughly where the 1M is in the pecking order. A good car, but as stated before, rare rather than special.
INTERNET FIGHT!!! hahaha. kidding.

I did realize this was on the main page.

^^You have some interesting points. What I would like to know is what was the 1M driver doing that day? Maybe he wasn't pushing that hard on purpose? Maybe he wasn't as good of a driver as you? Who knows? If I ever did or do decide to track my car I assure you I'll be going pretty easy…not really looking to shunt a low mileage 1M. But to come to your conclusion based on that one occurrence may be a bit hasty?
Honestly I don't know much about Pobst, so I have no idea, but I'd be curious to know what he does like? You have to agree that his opinion is (while maybe more track-focused than most) a contrary opinion to almost every other review.

Either way, taking a step back and looking at it, some journalists were just thinking "Hey, remember that 1M from 3 years ago, that was a pretty great car" That, in and of itself is pretty cool. It's good for 1M owners, it's good for the upcoming M2 and its good for BMW in total.

We're all on the same team here right!
      01-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #84
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

I think everyone is missing the point why the 1M is special:

The car is one of the only cars produced in the last decade that was not intended to fill a "market segment The car was dreamt up by the M engineers as a way to fill the end of the e82 production at Letzpig (open by chance not by plan). The car was designed not to be the fastest but to be the most fun possible. The car has crazy fender flares, almost no options, the stiffest suspension ever put into a BMW road car, it is painted burnt orange inspired by rum, and is grossly underrated in both power and torque. Quite simply it is a car that should have never been given the green light for production in a general business sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #85
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
We're all on the same team here right!
+1

1M v M3 v M4 v M5 v M6 v M2.... Who cares they're all great cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #86
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova
Night and day difference from my 135. Special? Unique? Maybe, maybe not, but its very different.

I plan to add an M2 to the stable next year(depending on engine specs), but it will be my daily driver that I eventually trade in for a newer model one day. The 1M? That'll still be in my garage because its THAT much fun to drive. BMW built a car that fit my needs/wants and thats why I purchased it instead of another M. Everyone who has driven it has said its "the funnest car" theyve driven, and that includes E46, E9x, and F10 owners.
Just curious, you plan to later buy an M2 and one day sell it while always keeping the 1M, because it's THAT fun, does that mean you think the M2 will be less fun then your 1M, serious question?!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #87
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just curious, you plan to later buy an M2 and one day sell it while always keeping the 1M, because it's THAT fun, does that mean you think the M2 will be less fun then your 1M, serious question?!
Yes. and I would ABSOLUTELY do the same. and you would too... once you think about it..

Back up 20 years to 1995.

The E36 M3 comes out. It's " better " than the E30M3.

Which car would it have made more sense to make a daily driver ?

Which car would it have made sense to keep as a collectible ?

Which car would it have made more sense to sell, when the next M3,, the E46 M3 came out...?

Which car is more valuable today ?

The M2 will be " better" than the 1M. it will be faster... it will be more refined.. but it will also have more features that some enthusiasts don't want.
It will CERTAINLY be far more mass produced... and within 2-3 years will likely be selling for LESS than 1Ms that have been stored with low mileage. One is a collectible and the other.. will not be. Will the M2 be better in likely every performance statistic? Yep! But it won't have better value...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 01-02-2015 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #88
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. I would do the same.

Back up 20 years to 1995.

The E36 M3 comes out. It's " better " than the E30M3.

Which car is more valuable today ?

Which car would it have made more sense to make a daily driver ?

Which car would it have made sense to keep as a collectible ?
Well, I guess, if you think your 1M is the new E30.
Appreciate 0