BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #89
GeorgeJ.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3 rex

You have done some very nice changes to your new bull dog. While I prefer stock (I just think it is cool the way it is and some cars, like the M1, should not be messed with) you have done a purposeful and cool looking job of dialing things up for track days. That said I would share the concerns expressed by others regarding the safety of the harness in the absence of a roll bar. I had a couple of rollovers and if I had been strapped in in either case I would not be tapping away on this computer. I think a bit of homework on this matter before driving hard on the track or elsewhere would be prudent. Have fun with your new toy. GJ
1975 2002 Inka/blk, 1975 2002 Red/blk (lthr) (owned '77-'79), 1976 2002 blue/tan (lthr) (owned '80-'81), 1979 M1 Orange/blk (owned '82-'84), 1980 320iS Silver/blk, 1984 323i Drk blue/cream(European) E30, 1996 M3 White/blk E36, 1998 328i Silver/blk E46, 2002 330i Silver/blk E46, 2006 330i Silver/blk E90, 2008 335iSilver/blk E90, 2012 135i SGM/blk E82 (all with manual gearboxes), 2014 i3 rex Arravani Grey/terra
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #90
stong
Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: bmw e82

powa!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #91
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
+1, Looks awesome.

Who can confirm the new part number? (MkII, M colored stitching)
part number would be cool to know

i am gonna need this steering wheel!

and i am sure the bmw dealer will just say: there is only the one from the performance programm (yellow band/ white stitching) available - because people generally like to avoid any excess of work even a single phone call or look-up on the computer (especially if they already sold you the new car) - but if one already had the part number...

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #92
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Woah! Never thought there would be this many replies! I promise to posts answers to the questions tomorrow (it's past midnight and I am ready for bed). I spent a good part of the weekend driving the car, but I also took some high-res pictures. I've asked Jason to update the first post accordingly.

My first impression after the first real kilometers with my car:

Damn, I love the little beast! Yes it lags, once you get to know it a little better... well not exactly lag, but it needs more than 3.500rpm to really start pushing. I do not like the stock DSC config, spent most of the weekend in "MDM" and even that is rather restrictive. Compares to the M3s regular DSC setup. Other than that...

...a mega-great car! Absolutely NO understeer whatsoever. No oversteer either (unless you power-slide it). It is just perfectly balanced. Mechanical grip at an unbelieveable level. It feels almost like you are running slicks. The ride can get quite bumpy, but the wheels stay planted on the road.

Just thinking back... the trip this morning... a winding road, similar to alpine passes, just shorter... a number of hairpins... you turn it in, pass the apex, position the rear and burn up the next straight. And grin.

My respect toward the cars sheer power has increased even more, but I loved every meter I spent driving. And no... I am not exagerating.

So... going to bed now to dream of a great car, can't wait to get it back on the road!

Good night to everybody!
      05-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #93
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Nice one, cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #94
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Thanks EmmDrei. This is great to hear.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #95
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

no new pics?! so sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Woah! Never thought there would be this many replies! I promise to posts answers to the questions tomorrow (it's past midnight and I am ready for bed). I spent a good part of the weekend driving the car, but I also took some high-res pictures. I've asked Jason to update the first post accordingly.

My first impression after the first real kilometers with my car:

Damn, I love the little beast! Yes it lags, once you get to know it a little better... well not exactly lag, but it needs more than 3.500rpm to really start pushing. I do not like the stock DSC config, spent most of the weekend in "MDM" and even that is rather restrictive. Compares to the M3s regular DSC setup. Other than that...

...a mega-great car! Absolutely NO understeer whatsoever. No oversteer either (unless you power-slide it). It is just perfectly balanced. Mechanical grip at an unbelieveable level. It feels almost like you are running slicks. The ride can get quite bumpy, but the wheels stay planted on the road.

Just thinking back... the trip this morning... a winding road, similar to alpine passes, just shorter... a number of hairpins... you turn it in, pass the apex, position the rear and burn up the next straight. And grin.

My respect toward the cars sheer power has increased even more, but I loved every meter I spent driving. And no... I am not exagerating.

So... going to bed now to dream of a great car, can't wait to get it back on the road!

Good night to everybody!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #96
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
seats look AMAZING!

Send me a set!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #97
Madozu
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M / M3 E36 3.2 6MT

Quote:

...a mega-great car! Absolutely NO understeer whatsoever. No oversteer either (unless you power-slide it). It is just perfectly balanced.

a winding road, similar to alpine passes, just shorter... a number of hairpins... you turn it in, pass the apex, position the rear and burn up the next straight. And grin.

This sounds really great! Mine is still two weeks away, but almost can't wait to drive the alpine passes near me
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #98
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I have updated the pics in the original post (scroll down). Hope those are more to everyones liking!
      05-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #99
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

And now I'll try to answer to all the questions / comments. First of all, thanks everyone that congradulated! Yes, I'm a happy little camper! And a little proud of my black baby. Even though I didn't really do much to make it look that good. The credits go a.) to the M GmbH for making this beauty and to b.) my dealer for making it even better.

To the answers:
@BMW86: Thank you!

@elitt13: Thanks and I hope you like the new pics!

@eeghie: Thanks! The leg room in the back is basically unchanged by the Performance seats. There is none. I very rarely need the two seats in the back, but when I do, they're there.

There are no drawings for the shifter. The guys in the shop took the car apart and we looked at the parts, they made suggestions what we could do to get where I want to be and I nodded. Then the guy from the turning shop (that builds the special parts for their race car) dropped by, took measurements and has built parts. They'll be mounted some time next week and then we'll see if everything works. If not, it's basically back to square one.

@Kiyo: My wheel is the "last gen" Performance wheel (I). Actually I wanted the wheel without the buttons (II). But my dealer mounted that wheel as a special present. As far as functionality goes, it should be the same as the wheel you linked to, it just looks slightly different. The "flat" end has its advantages when you have the Performance seats in the car. There is not very much room, when you favor a seating position that gives you control over the car. The wheel has some timing gimmicks in it (that I will never use) and it shows oil and water temps + provides shift lights.

The center part of my wheel (basically the airbag cover) is made up by the stock parts. I didn't like the "all-alcantara" look and the parts are interchangeable. The buttons are the same buttons that you have on the car (provided the dealer does everything right).

@Dackelone: Thanks! Yes, the seats are great. Not quite as hardcore as a real racing seat, but better than anything stock. In combination with the 4-points, you can really fly the car! You just "locked" into your seat and feel the cars every little movement.

@M3Power79: No. My suspensions will stay stock. Imho you can only make them worse! Once my first set of dampers is through, then I'll probably mount a specific Nordschleife setup, but not before.

@RaihaX: Thanks!

@as7920: Made a close-up for you. The spoiler is CF.

@gs/e60/1m?: The white stitching doesn't bug me one bit. No one that has looked at the car has even noticed it thus far.

Yes, all the buttons on the wheel work and all the displays provide all the options the manual offers.

The color of the seats is really "alcantara" and they match the stuff in the car perfectly. You can get the same seat in two versions from Recaro directly. That may offer different shades of colors, but then chances are, stuff will not work right (seat matts, airbag sensors, etc.).

As far as tailpipes go: Akra? They had black CF ends on the pace car, didn't they?

@Novator: Thanks!

The harnesses are "Profi III FE ASM". Static 4-points that are street legal in Europe (which is why they have the "press" lock, a regular turning lock is illegal). They're terrific, in combination with the seats! I really spent a couple of hours in the car on the weekend and I did some pretty fast driving. Great seats, great seat belts! And for quick entry and take-off I have kept the stock three-points also.

@1SeriesStud: Like I wrote above... a present.

@M3Power79: Yes, there are newer versions of the two Performance wheels.

@Dan Parker: The shoulder straps are looped around the "Isofix" (child seat) mountings in the back, the waist strap is screwed to the seat console. The seats are really almost as good as true racing seats (and I drive a Recaro SPG in my track car). They are a little wider than a true racer but other than that, they're great. In combination with the 4-point, absolutely fantastic.

@1SeriesStud: Thanks for posting the pic!

@DMM: Thanks!

@Budz135i: Thanks!

@shemeld_135: Thanks and I agree!

@mitch5655: Thanks!

@torquedemon: The intension of those seats is to have a seat that you can comfortably drive the car fast with. The rear space was no worry. But going by the looks, I would say "same as stock".

@Mnime: Yes, the "M" button is there too. And it works.

@l888apex: Thanks!

@Franklin Joseph: Just the regular Performance kidney grill, correct.

@DriveHard: No, as I wrote above, they shoulder straps are looped around the child seat mountings. Works great and leaves the rear belts untouched. I can just stick the shoulder straps for the front seats in the ski bag and have the regular seat belts in the back that can be used. That's why I have kept the stock 3-points in the front too.

@cchui369: The tyres are PS2. I simply don't like the Michelin road tyres. Imho tyres are a very personal thing and at least 40% of tyre performance is "in the head". If I trust a tyre and feel comfortable, then I can drive it fast. And I don't like the Michelins wet handling. Semis are no option as this car is a daily driver. At least for now.

@BlacknRedi: Thanks!

@Yogijet: Thanks!

dmboone25: Thanks!

@SoCali E90: Thanks! Not really. I work for a living.

@Hula-Hula: Thanks!

@Elsabor67: Thanks!

@ferrari4evr1: The slots in the wheel are shift lights. They work and you can easily set them to the limit you want. They just don't make much sense on narrow and tight roads. (you move the wheel so much, you hardly ever see them.) I'll report if they make sense once you're on a track. It'll probably be a month though, before I get to drive it on the Nordschleife the first time.

@Evolution80: Danke! Vorsicht: Das Ding macht süchtig!

@ahmed fawzy: Thanks! If I ever get bored, I'll sit down and just hand color the white stitching. If... which I doubt!

@crackberry: Thanks!

@MrRoboto: You could just use an orange marker. Should work.

@eatrach73: I knew what I wanted from the moment the car was announced. So there was ample time to plan everything. This little beast will be my personal and perfect car.

@bavarian19: Thanks!

@MrNice: Thanks!

@img: Thanks!

@Gtrain: I would buy the seats again in a heartbeat, they're great on the road. The wheel I am not sure about. It's more a plaything than a serious steering wheel. But it's a gift, so I shall honor it.

@bvez3ro: The entire mods (once completed) will be less than 10k Euro. But they make a gigantic difference when driving the car and thus to me they're worth it.

Mthusiast: The BMW Performance seats. They are actually Recaro (Sportster CS) seats. (A link to the Recaro website.)

@monkawekrue: Thanks and you're welcome!

@saeedg48: Thanks!

@Daniel135i: Sorry, but you're wrong. First of all, we're talking about a street car here, not a racer! The angle for the shoulder straps you are refering to is relevant when you're wearing a HANS system. I am not using my HANS in this car. Schroth recommends using these mountings for street use. Race use is a totally different game. If my roof collapses far enough to give me a headache, then I have a lot of other problems! Besides, where is the difference between a 3-point and a 4-point there? If the roof collapses, then it will do so also, when you're wearing the regular 3-point. The primary reason for the harness is not safety. The reason for the harness is driveability. But yet and still, I doubt, that this harness is less safe, than the stock setup. BTW, my seating position in the car is lower, so my roof can cave in more than that in a stock car.

As far as these belts are "showboating"... honestly... if you don't know, what you're talking about, just don't comment! These belts prevent that a driver falls all over the car while cornering. Simple as that. And "unsafe" is complete bs! You are not getting, that there is a difference between HANS and non-HANS and why a HANS belt has to be mounted differently. If you want to find out, visit me, when I'm racing my 325i on the Nordschleife (with welded roll-cage and HANS seat, belt and bar) and I'll explain it to you.

@alice: Simply "wow"! I love the car!

@Psymon81: Thanks!

@Vantagesc: Exactly that, you're obviously not an expert. The people that mounted the harnesses have built a number of race cars and I have been racing since I was 21. Serious FIA licensed motor racing. I have owned more than 10 race cars in all those years and have driven numerous others. I know, what I am talking about and I am not going to set a car up to kill myself!

@emathis: You'll love the car! Have fun!

@hwelvaar: Thanks for the pictures and links! Exactly that is the difference. It's a street car, not a racer.

@animah: Thanks!

@evolution80: From what I have heard so far, the black ones seem to be the majority. They're nice and inconspicous. "Wölfe im Schafspelz." (Wolves in sheeps clothing.)

@edwardio: Thanks!

@speedfan: That reduction is exactly what makes the car what it is! It just makes one mean handling machine. No comparison to an M3 and I have that comparison. If someone wants "streched", they buy an M3.

@hwelvaar:

@Mad One: Imho the stance looks better on the black cars than it does on the aw or vo. I would not touch the setup before you have driven the car! The cars setup is very firm and if you shorten the springs (which is what most intend to do), then I am pretty sure, you'll end up missing that suspension travel.

As far as that roll-bar, roll-cage stuff goes: The 4-point harness is a seat belt. No more, no less. It is adjusted manually and not automatically and has 2 shoulder straps instead of one. Other than that, there is no difference to a 3-point stock seat belt. If the seat-belt is adjusted correctly, then running this belt is no less safe than the stock setup. The big difference is while driving the car... it doesn't loosen itself and it holds you firmly in your seat. And that is the reason I have it in the car, none other. If I was afraid, that a 1er would collapse when it rolls, then I wouldn't have bought the car in the first place! Should I ever mount a cage (which I doubt), then it would be a welded in roll-CELL (not a mere bar as i.e. the safety car has). But seat belt and roll-bar/cage/cell are two different stories and one has nothing to do with the other.

@speedfan: It's just a different generation of cars. The e36 are fantastic cars and the 1M is too, in its own right.

@HondaGoneRogue: Thanks! Thanks also for your clarification. You're partially right (with the exception of the belt, they're Profi III). A quote:

Quote:
Schroths ASM technology does increase safety by allowing your torso to move forward while decelerating somewhat but it is not safer than the OEM set-up. A rollcage/bar is very important when using these.
You're right, it is not safer than the OEM setup. But that wasn't the aim, either. What is wrong with a OEM seat-belt setup? Millions drive it every day. And again... bar/cage has nothing to do with the belts. If the roof comes down, then it will come down on a driver wearing a 3-point just as much as one wearing a 4-point. Your head acceleration theory is wrong, the car still has an active airbag.

My 1M is not a track car. I don't know why everybody tries to make it one simply because it has a 4-point harness. A track car would look completely different. I simply feel more comfortable driving a 4-point and the belt holds me in the seat while driving. That's all there is to it.

@supracg: I honestly don't know.

@providence: That's the regular 1er Performance spoiler on my car, yes.

@Joer: Thanks!

@biglare: Thanks!

@USC2000: So do I.

@Golffrr: Glad we can legally mount them here!

@sq86:

@vantagesc: There is a difference between HANS and non-HANS! The shoulder straps have to be mounted within a narrower angle for HANS compatibility. The basic reason behind it is the way forces are channeled with or without wearing a HANS. This seat is NOT HANS compatible however, thus I will not wear the HANS and thus it makes no sense to adhere to the HANS mounting instructions. But again: This is not a race car in the first place!

@oman135: Thanks!

@mech.m3: Thanks!

@Makkasteez: Hope the new pics are better! Thanks!

@RC3: Thanks, so do I!

@1Mer:

@GeorgJ.: Thanks! No sweat, I've done my homework. And believe me... if it was unsafe in any way and actually less safe than stock, I would not get it through german TÜV! no way in the world would they nod their approval. So it can't be all that bad.

@stong: Yup.

So... that should have been it. If I overlooked something, just let me know!

Last edited by EmmDrei; 05-09-2011 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #100
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
Mk II version of BMW performance steerig wheel (the version without the electronic display):

Does anyone know the part # and /or the supplier for this? I can't seem to find it on the BMW performance site. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 03:03 AM   #101
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Awesome car EmmDrei. Really nice mods you've got on there. Really glad you're enjoying the car. I can't wait for mine.

How do the brakes feel?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 03:43 AM   #102
elitt13
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: 1///M Coupe & ///M2 CS DKG

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M coupé  [10.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
thnaks for tne news pics!!! Beautiful !!!

the carbon back spoiler is very nice, the first one is too little, but I think the GTS one is more aggressive, but it must be too expensive!!!
      05-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #103
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Thank you EmmDrei for your detailed explanation.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #104
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Thanks!
Quote:
I have updated the pics in the original post (scroll down). Hope those are more to everyones liking!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #105
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

@ EmmDrei: appriciate your comments thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #106
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Thanx for all the feedback and the better pictures!
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #107
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Hi EmmDrei,

Thx for the specific replies. I commend you for going into uncharted territory with the shifter modification; short throw, but shifter head closer to the wheel would sound interesting to me. Wonder if anyone has experienced this with a manual gearbox. What is your inspiration target for the modification?

A request that I can't help asking from new owners: A picture of the shock part number labels. Front: turn wheel, stick small camera in the wheel well on the front-topside of the wheel and direct lens towards rear of the car (near wheel hub).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #108
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

@gazz: The german 1M price list also shows the matching Performance parts for the 1M and that lists the steering wheels (I and II) both as "ZP 8".

@alik01: The brakes are fine. I am lacking a little feedback, but I don't have my steel lines yet. (I am talking about an absolutely minute "loss" here!) The noteable difference to the M3 is murderous brake squeek once you have them really hot and then just brake lightly. Sounds like it is the rear pads only that squeek, but I may be mistaken. Other than that I like the brakes no less than I did on my M3. The stopping power is an 11 on a scale of 10. I can still brake into a corner deep enough to make the inner front wheel lose grip for fractions of a second and feel it happening both in the wheel as well as in my brake pedal.

@elitt13: To me the GTS wing would have been too much. Too agressive for my liking. But that is just my personal feeling. Something I would however bear in mind: if you would change the aerodynamic balance on the rear, without a counterpart on the front-end, then you'd promote understeer. A wing that size is not just for the looks, it has a serious effect too.

@eeghie: What I am trying to do with the shifter is nothing unusual. Actually it is normal for any stick shift car that you are trying to drive fast. An example:

Just look at it as my personal preference. I like a car I have fun in, to be as close to the feel of a racer as possible.

As far as the photo goes, I'll try but I am not sure, that I have anything small enough that takes pictures and has a flash.
      05-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #109
elitt13
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: 1///M Coupe & ///M2 CS DKG

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M coupé  [10.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
thanks for you personnal response, I agree with you

but the GTS wing are beatiful like on the 1///M safety car ....
      05-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #110
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Wow EmmDrei. Thanks for all the replies.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0