10-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #67
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy4 View Post
Ok, let me weigh in here. I sold my 1998 M1 ( bought it new ) last month so that I could buy my 1M which I pick up at PCD on 12/2. After reading these downbeat posts, I am getting concerned. I bought this car sight unseen as did many others. I believd that it is very similar to my M3. Am I wrong?
Read just about every other thread on this forum and that should make you feel better. This thread is the 1%...

I LOVE the 1M. Wouldn't change a thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #68
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Quote:
Ok, let me weigh in here. I sold my 1998 M1 ( bought it new ) last month so that I could buy my 1M which I pick up at PCD on 12/2. After reading these downbeat posts, I am getting concerned. I bought this car sight unseen as did many others. I believd that it is very similar to my M3. Am I wrong?
Just to clarify, I do love the 1M. In fact, that was the very FIRST sentence in the OP - some seem to have missed that

Being the great car that it is, it doesn't necessarily mean there aren't issues or things that can be improved, perhaps even with recalls (e.g. exhaust drone).

If you sift through the personal attacks in this thread, you will see concerns and ways to improve this car from me and other owners (in our humble opinion).

This is a big BMW forum, and I'm certain there are BMW employees that come here to take notes - in addition to other survey formats. Why not use this opportunity as a communication medium for "fixes" for our cars, and/or on future BMW models?

Again, I do love this car
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #69
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Hmmm... nothing really.

Maybe that I enjoy driving it on the track so much that I've already gone through one set of tires and three sets of brake pads

Neil

three sets of pads!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #70
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Digital View Post
I hate the fact that after only ~5 1/2 months of ownership my car is sitting at the dealership waiting to have a new altenator installed.

I got a battery charge malfunction warning while driving home from work earlier this week. Took the car into the dealership the next day to have it checked out and it turned out the alternator went bad.

I understand these sort of premature failures occur from time to time; i just never expected it to happen to me...lol

I know in the big scheme of things its a relatively minor issue thats easy to fix, but i cant help but be bummed out in the meantime since my car is out of commission for a couple of days!!

I dunno...maybe im just being spoiled...

If you would quit trying to crack the pavement at stoplights, showing off your Boomin system... maybe the alternator would survive.. LOL.. I keed I keed! Sorry to hear that your alternator failed. It's under warranty, and in a few days you should be as good as new.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #71
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Price and availability.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #72
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
I hope you meant 1978 M1. If so, you must have gotten a very good price for it.

I have not seen anyone compare the 1M to the E36 M3. Most comparisons bring up the E30 M3 or the E46 M3 CSL. Captain Kirk did a great comparison between the E90 M3 and the 1M. That thread can be found by a quick search.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #73
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
As did pretty much EVERYBODY!

Seriously, who out there did a test drive?? Wont be many, I think. I've heard a couple stories about some lucky folks waltzing into a dealership, see the 1M on the floor, and somehow walk away with it.

Point is, I think most of us purchased based on expectation - followed by stellar review.

I wouldn't put much weight into "these downbeat posts" - its nitpicking for the most part. The car is fantastic, you won't be dissapointed. "It will give you goosepimples"

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #74
spoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1///m

If you like driving ,performance,and handling you will love this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #75
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX///M View Post
9. rear seat plastic center console - should just be contiguous seating area instead Impossible. This was meant as a hard core enthusiast/track guy car. Making it a five seater would totally go against that.
LOL, ya, because the 1M is such a focused "track car" that removing the center console is completely contrary to everything else on the car. Power seats, power windows, carpets, NAV, stereo, A/C, sound proofing, rear seats, etc.

The car was still intended to be comfortable and practical.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #76
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

This was the first car I ever purchased without test driving. I have no regrets. Awesome little machine. Not perfect but the imperfections are less important than some other ones. For example, the M3 is big, expensive, bloated and even though the engine is awesome, the mileage is awful. I believe in drving my car every day and with gas only getting more expensive, I appreciate some better, albeit not great, mileage.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #77
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
There are plenty of things to love with the 1M

What aspects do you hate about it?
What a question to pose

a better question to your fellow members here would have been,

What would you have liked to see different on your 1M

so tell me you drive a "PSYWGN" what is that anyway? have you actually driven a 1M or did you just slip in here because you drive an Audi, or something similar?

I've driven BMW's for over 25 years (it included 2 M3's) yes I did test drive the 1M today and find not much wrong with it at all. Perhaps that is because like most people here I see my glass 1/2 full all the time

Yes I am confused by your questionnaire

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #78
Poppy4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, E36 sold

Smile To love or hate, is that the question?

Based on the responses, and I thank you all for them, I will be positive and just love the car as it is. Of course, I will share with all my actual feelings after PCD on 12/2.
I loved my M3 and I will love my 1M.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #79
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

I don't really hate anything about the car, but having to push the sport button and deactivate the traction control every time I get into the car in kind of a hassle. The interior plastic looks cheap, is cheap.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #80
Bobby Digital
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
If you would quit trying to crack the pavement at stoplights, showing off your Boomin system... maybe the alternator would survive.. LOL.. I keed I keed! Sorry to hear that your alternator failed. It's under warranty, and in a few days you should be as good as new.
Lol...I knew i shouldn't have put those 15's in the trunk...

Yeah...covered under warranty and i should have her back on Monday...i guess its not the end of the world...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #81
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
That it's not here yet.
This.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #82
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfreak View Post
I hate traffic and speed limits in my 1M. That is all.
+1,000 .... especially after ED ....

LOVE my 1M!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 01:23 AM   #83
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator View Post
+1,000 .... especially after ED ....

LOVE my 1M!
Amen....There is some sort post-ED syndrome when you return home.

Speed limits, fast lane squatters, cell-phone-talking-not-paying-attention-bozos and terrible roads where you are no longer surprised by potholes but instead you are surprised when you hit a smooth stretch.

I definitely have POST-ED Syndrome.. and mine was the two-week variety on top of that!

: )
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #84
greygoose
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I don't have anything I hate about the car, it gets dirty quickly but that's always the trouble with black cars. I like the minimalist interior and don't find it any lower quality than my old Z4 coupe and the alcantara bits raise it over the 135.

We have Peugoets and VW people carriers at work and driving those for ten minutes makes you realise how good BMW screw the interiors together.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #85
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
What a question to pose

a better question to your fellow members here would have been,

What would you have liked to see different on your 1M

so tell me you drive a "PSYWGN" what is that anyway? have you actually driven a 1M or did you just slip in here because you drive an Audi, or something similar?

I've driven BMW's for over 25 years (it included 2 M3's) yes I did test drive the 1M today and find not much wrong with it at all. Perhaps that is because like most people here I see my glass 1/2 full all the time

Yes I am confused by your questionnaire
Perhaps you missed my PCD and AtSpeed photo threads.

Or perhaps you have reading comprehension issues, and missed my 2nd and 3rd posts in this thread. Yes, I have "driven" a 1M. But damned if I didn't, I can't talk about it? I mean internet = serious business, right?

Yes I am confused by your post
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 10:33 AM   #86
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Don't let this Downer of a thread cause you to think you made the wrong choice. I have driven BMW's since my 1971 2002, this is the Best overall BMW I have ever Driven/Owned. Interior quality is top notch, best Manual transmission of any BMW, Best sounding OEM Exhaust ever installed on a BMW. The car Handles and goes like hell.

You will love it. I would suggest anyone who has So many issues with there car after owning if for only 5 days to Sell It to someone more deserving of this Limited Edition car!!!
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #87
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Perhaps you missed my PCD and AtSpeed photo threads.

Or perhaps you have reading comprehension issues, and missed my 2nd and 3rd posts in this thread. Yes, I have "driven" a 1M. But damned if I didn't, I can't talk about it? I mean internet = serious business, right?

Yes I am confused by your post
Not much I miss my friend at my age

Listen I have no interest to argue with you, so just ignore what I said. You have your way (and rightfully so) to put your thoughts on paper. So be it. Be happy.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #88
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Disagreement is OK!

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this thread lately as well as the one on SuperCharging the 1M and I think one problem with this type of forum is that we write unfiltered and in the moment. When someone writes for a magazine there are editors that read the material and say stuff like " you sure you want to use "hate?" I have been caught at this myself then go back and edit as seems the case here. The new heading: How Would you improve the 1M is probably what the original poster really meant but we use hate commonly nowadays.

With that said, I disagree on many points with poster. This car was advertised as a raw, back to basics car and the points about brake dust, exhaust drone, frameless window, etc. don't jive with that BUT now that the "HATE" has been taken out of it, we should remember that BMW will be building a 1M successor and there IS a place for constructive criticism.

For me this constructive criticism would be stuff like make it lighter still, MDM standard or at least less intrusive base traction control, less understeer and get the power down better. This doesn't mean I don't love the car as it is! If I say our government needs to fix some things, that doesn't mean I don't love my country. So while some of these "improvement" posts may seem uncomfortable to many, me included, there is a place for them.

A few years back, I was seriously considering a 135i. I waited with anticipation and when I finally drove it, It was not "focused" or "edgy" enough for me. It felt heavy, the steering was somewhat vague and no real exhaust note. It felt very much like a faster version of my E46 with less steering "feel." I posted my thoughts on the 1 series forum back then and I got blasted. I meant no disrespect to the car but felt let down by BMW.

Now a few years later WE HAVE A 1M because many enthusiasts griped about the cars getting bloated, heavy and too soft. If no one would have raised these concerns BMW would not have made the 1M. So as long as we mean constructive criticism, there is a place for it in my humble opinion.

Meanwhile, please don't gripe about brake dust, missing homelink, missing vanity light, lack of DCT, real exhaust sound or lack of seat massagers because if that's what you want, I don't want BMW to listen to you! : )

Last edited by nachob; 10-30-2011 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0