BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
turbo v6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i N55, 230i

People with an N55 with PPK

Are you guys experiencing the same idle and lag issues with PPK as others are having with the older DME software: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1033690

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Nope, no lag to report here.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

I think so, but i just picked up my car a week ago. Is there a way to verify what software i have or do I have to bring it to a dealer?
      10-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
I get it in stop and go with all the nanies turned on. In DTC mode, sport and manual it's just none existent.

I thought about the software update but there are reports that it tames the car and makes it quieter. Essentially nurfing your PPK. I'd rather deal with it and keep it a raw little animal.
      10-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I've had PPK since 2011 and haven't had a software update since then and get none of the reported issues. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I say.

My concern is down the road when I need some repair that requires a software update. Will it tame or 'neuter' my car, as they say? Guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it.
      10-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
I've had PPK since 2011 and haven't had a software update since then and get none of the reported issues. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I say.

My concern is down the road when I need some repair that requires a software update. Will it tame or 'neuter' my car, as they say? Guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it.
Here's my story. I got the PPK in 2011 and it immediately fixed my throttle lag (it isn't turbo) then later the dealer did an update, undocumented. The PPK was still in place, burble and all, but the lag was back. For two years they said everything was as it should be. I took the car to a much better dealer who escalated with BMW. Eventually, I received a new DME from Munich and the lag was cured. Three months later a new update was released that fixed this for everybody. Today, it isn't absolutely perfect but at least it's predictable and fun again. I would absolutely advise against allowing any updates when you take it in. They don't tell you or ask you so be wary.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
I needed to get the DCT software update because it was downright dangerous to drive. The update did fix the situation by A LOT. There are still days/times where it happens but those instances are EXTREMELY rare.

My car has N55, DCT, PPK.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post

Here's my story. I got the PPK in 2011 and it immediately fixed my throttle lag (it isn't turbo) then later the dealer did an update, undocumented. The PPK was still in place, burble and all, but the lag was back. For two years they said everything was as it should be. I took the car to a much better dealer who escalated with BMW. Eventually, I received a new DME from Munich and the lag was cured. Three months later a new update was released that fixed this for everybody. Today, it isn't absolutely perfect but at least it's predictable and fun again. I would absolutely advise against allowing any updates when you take it in. They don't tell you or ask you so be wary.
This is good advice!

Ever since I got PPK and a software update in 2011, whenever I take my car to the dealer for servicing I tell my service advisor "no software updates," no matter what I'm getting done, and I make sure it is written on my service order so there are no mistakes, because of stories like yours.

Completely happy with my car the way it currently is.

Last edited by Esteban; 10-11-2015 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0