BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
Angry Nobody wants to help you when sh!t happens!?!?!

I had my drivers side window smashed whilst parked at "Safe, Secure, Affordable Parking" Easy Park in the Pacific Center Mall downtown Vancouver on Sunday night.

Nothing was on view in my car but I lost several items.

After the discovery I tracked down a security guard & didn't get very far with obtaining any sort of assistance.

1st of all the security just told me 'too bad' & 'they can't keep an eye on everything' & 'you shouldn't drive such a flashy car as you're asking for it'

2nd when I said I was off to call the Police the security asked me not to !?!?!?

3rd when I started dialing the security guard disappeared. He just got on his bike & rode off.

When I found customer services they told me security 'rode off' because they had to do some rounds & couldn't baby sit me just because my car was broken in to.

OK - call to Police.

After being put on hold for 40 mins, I was told that I should expect that kind of thing when parking downtown & that the Police can't do anything about it.

When I told them my suspicions with the security guard they said they'd be there in 60 mins & not to touch anything.

90 mins later I called the Police again & they said they decided they wont be coming but didn't think it neccessary to inform me!

OK - back to customer service who called someone out to clean up the glass & patch up the window.

90 mins later they turn up & scratch my door & seats in the process of removing the glass. When I complain they just shrugged & said 'you're insured aren't you?'

So finally I get on my way home...

The next day I'm told the scratches & paint chips wont be covered.

ICBC pretty much made out that it was my fault that the car was broken into. The guy insinuated that I left my GPS, sunglasses, iPod etc. on display. When i said everything was hidden, his reply was 'yeah, sure, they all say that'

After that I call around some auto glass companies to discover that a BMW side glass isn't available in Vancouver & that it has to be ordered from Toronto.

A lot of glass places wanted to take me car in & fit non-BMW glass even though I specified BMW glass. They only admitted it was pattern glass when I really pushed them & asked for part numbers.

Thank god for one honest Speedy Glass dealer.

Anyway, along the way BCAA wouldn't & couldn't help with patching up the window. BMW assist also couldn't help with patching up the window & at least were willing to tow the car to a BMW dealer if I wanted to.

If I was back in the UK, Autoglass (pre-approved by my insurer) would've come along within an hour, cleaned up my car, patched things up & taken my car in the next day to fit a perspex sheet cut to shape until they got the BMW glass.

In BC you have to jump through hoops before you get any kind of assistance from anyone & then you get treated like a criminal for 'taking' ICBC money despite paying them nearly $10,000 a year to unsure my 3 cars.

Rant over!

Thanks for reading!

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
paologaspar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: nissan

That sucks man. I hope you get matters settled in a timely fashion (or at least as timely as ICBC gets)

Btw, is this the $4 parking that gets advertised on the radio? I dunno where the security guard gets the idea that the 128i is a 'flashy' car. I've seen an F430 at the PC parkade and there are COUNTLESS other german makes and models at any given time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

so sorry to hear that Viv,
shit !!! I can't belive what happened to you
your car is less than 3 months old.
I think that security guy is kind of fishy.....
damn you have to go through so many little things to get it fix.
I think we have a serious problem here with the police & ICBC, they are not doing their jobs.

what is the point buying insurance anyway, you still have to pay $300 deductible upfront.

hope everything work out for you soon, I am still shopping for my 128i.

I think we should hide in the car with a baseball bat one sunday night in the same lot see if we can catch the asso.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

That has to be one of the shittiest stories I've ever read. That really sux man. I hope everything works out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
JKAWB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Black Sapphire

That same exact shit happened to me in ybor city in Florida. Your story is identical to what happened. I parked in a garage, got my side window busted, iPod was stolen, damage done to window, tint, and the material on my A-Pillar was ripped. The security pretty much made like it was my fault. I almost punched him in the face right there. My insurance didn't cover anything either. Plus there was no BMW glass in Florida and it had to be shipped from California I think, and it would take 3 days, and i had to leave to Afghanistan in three days when it happened. They said they could have it done in one day, but the glass was from another company and would cost twice as much, needless to say i left my car at the dealership in a garage because it rains a lot in florida and waited for the glass. they got it just in time for me to catch my flight to Afghanistan. then i noticed there must still be glass in the door because i can hear it rattling when i shut it and a little when i drive, but i can't get that fixed till i get home in April, so be sure they get the glass out of the door when you get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys.

It feels much better having read all your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polvoronn View Post
Btw, is this the $4 parking that gets advertised on the radio? I dunno where the security guard gets the idea that the 128i is a 'flashy' car. I've seen an F430 at the PC parkade and there are COUNTLESS other german makes and models at any given time.
Yep - same place. I parked between a C230 & IS300. Both were gone by the time I got back but still... my 128 is hardly a flashy car!

From the Easypark website...

"EasyPark is Safe and Affordable" - well it's gonna cost me my $300 deductable & I didn't feel very safe. Especially after the security guard ran away when I called the Police!

"EasyPark Looks after you" - sure they do!

And their mission statement?

They forget to mention that their Security 'may' be involved in activities which may result in your car being broken into.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanchan View Post
I think we should hide in the car with a baseball bat one sunday night in the same lot see if we can catch the asso.
Thanks ALan,

Sounds like a great idea!

EasyPark, ICBC & VPD really let me down.

They all made me feel like I'm to blame & that I was wasting their time & inconveniencing them.

The worse thing is that I pay $10k a year to ICBC & they treat me like I'm trying to steal their money from them!

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
That has to be one of the shittiest stories I've ever read. That really sux man. I hope everything works out.
Thanks man.

I'm on the way to getting my window replaced after a whole day spent running around.

I'm still onto ICBC about getting the paint chips & interior scratches covered.

Luck my seats are leatherette not leather!

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAWB View Post
so be sure they get the glass out of the door when you get it fixed.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't even think of that.

I'll double check when I pick up my car.

Sorry it happened to you too. It's such an inconvenience!

I would've just given my GPS, Oakleys & iPod to the asso rather than have all the damage to my car & the sh!t that comes with sorting it out.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
http://www.easyparkvancouver.com/resteasy.aspx - what a joke!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

That really sucks. EasyPark are a bunch of goofs and the rent a cops they hire are completely useless. I'm not even sure they'd know how to call the cops if they actually saw a criminal act.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep

hey Viv,

If easy park states whatever BS in their ads but fail to fulfill to your satisfactory when you park in their lot.
Can a lawyer help you out?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
hey Viv,

If easy park states whatever BS in their ads but fail to fulfill to your satisfactory when you park in their lot.
Can a lawyer help you out?
The terms & conditions printed on the ticket absolves them of all blame in the event of any damage to your car.

The grey area is that you don't see those terms until after you've already entered the car park thus, you could claim it's an unfair contract.

However, they'd probably argue that you could choose to immediately leave once you've seen the ticket.

Either way EasyPark will not be responsible for anything despite all the impressions of 'safe & secure' in their advertising.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Viv, sorry to hear that. Surreal stuff.

When my windshield broke last week, I had to specify BMW glass with Speedy Glass.

Anyway, sorry to hear.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep

Viv,

this is big FUXXXXX BS:

http://www.easyparkvancouver.com/

EasyPark is safe and affordable.
When you can afford a $300 ICBC deductible

EasyPark loves thief environment.

EasyPark looks after you.
and blame everything on you.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #16
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Viv,

this is big FUXXXXX BS:

http://www.easyparkvancouver.com/

EasyPark is safe and affordable.
When you can afford a $300 ICBC deductible

EasyPark loves thief environment.

EasyPark looks after you.
and blame everything on you.
I love the "EasyPark Looks After You" bit

Such a big joke!!!

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #17
the1andony
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

hearing things like this just piss me off, if it was me i'd be fighting with security guard because the cops wouldn't give a shit any ways, a;ways keep a golf club or a bat in your trunk!! seriously
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #18
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andony View Post
hearing things like this just piss me off, if it was me i'd be fighting with security guard because the cops wouldn't give a shit any ways, a;ways keep a golf club or a bat in your trunk!! seriously
There was a whole comedy episode of me on the phone talking to the police operator & trying to chase the security guard as he rode off on his bike!

I never saw him again & once I tracked down customer services, the guard in question had conveniently finished his shift.

I think next time I may be tempted to use my heavy duty BMW golfing umbrella as a weapon!

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #19
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wow that totally sucks.. I hate the "don't drive a flashy car".. the 1er is not that flashy first off.. second it doesnn't really matter what car you drive it could happen to anyone.. some ppl are ignorant and cops are pure uselessness anyways.. donut eating ticket givers.. no faith in the law of any sort... sorry to hear about your situation man..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #20
shiccobm
Neo
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

hey Viv
i am really sorry about what happened , but what impresses me that u did nt kill anyone because if that happened to me , i needed to see some blood of someone JKS but i will get really pissed off and demended action from the police and the insurance but i know you tried your best. keep your head up man !!!!
      12-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #21
Cooldaddygroove
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Insurance companies and police have absolutely no interest in property damage or theft. Hint at personal harm or conspiracy and you might get their attention.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #22
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
OK window finally replaced...

The guys at Speedy Glass were fine but they didn't really have the ability to put the door pieces back together perfectly.

I'd complain like hell normally but BMW Store's recommended body shop will need to take the door apart anyway to undertake the repairs.

oh the joys of being a victim of crime....

Appreciate 0