BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2019, 02:21 AM   #1
ReggieKW
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

128i issues. Irritating noises.

I've been reading this forum for the last few years but have some questions that I can't exactly find answered so if anyone has anything to offer that's great. I have an '08 manual 128i, 120,000km. New plugs/coils, gaskets redone, suspension, coolant, transmission fluid, diff fluid, power steering fluid, new belt, and crank shaft sensor, oil always kept up.
I get a repetitive "chugging" sound I can hear when the car is running at idle, when the clutch is depressed the sound goes away, even pushing the clutch in fully and releasing will cause the sound to disappear for a bit.
At stop lights, sometimes the car shudders every few seconds (can feel throughout the car). I have experienced misfires and this is not a misfire. Sometimes it doesn't, is this a product of just the age of the vehicle in or sensors/hose?
The only other thing that's irritating me is a clink every time the vehicles movement is drastically changed (accelerating in first, removing got from gas), reading about potentially being Brake noise? I have a new set of brakes so hopefully this might resolve, it's very audible. My mechanic thought it was coming from my differential? But I'm hesitant to buy a new one.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
Gambeez
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieKW View Post
I've been reading this forum for the last few years but have some questions that I can't exactly find answered so if anyone has anything to offer that's great. I have an '08 manual 128i, 120,000km. New plugs/coils, gaskets redone, suspension, coolant, transmission fluid, diff fluid, power steering fluid, new belt, and crank shaft sensor, oil always kept up.
I get a repetitive "chugging" sound I can hear when the car is running at idle, when the clutch is depressed the sound goes away, even pushing the clutch in fully and releasing will cause the sound to disappear for a bit.
At stop lights, sometimes the car shudders every few seconds (can feel throughout the car). I have experienced misfires and this is not a misfire. Sometimes it doesn't, is this a product of just the age of the vehicle in or sensors/hose?
The only other thing that's irritating me is a clink every time the vehicles movement is drastically changed (accelerating in first, removing got from gas), reading about potentially being Brake noise? I have a new set of brakes so hopefully this might resolve, it's very audible. My mechanic thought it was coming from my differential? But I'm hesitant to buy a new one.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
I have a 2013 128i with the steptronic trans.

So hopefully somebody else can chime in with the full manual version.

However, a couple months back I experienced a similar issue at idle or dead stopped. The RPMs would jump a couple hundred, car would shake, rattle/jolt, and it was very annoying.

I bought a bottle of Chevron Techron and put that in with a full tank. It cleared up the issue immediately and hasn't returned since. So maybe give that a try?

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

I get a rough idle until the engine runs for about a minute. Once the revs drop, it's smooth, but every now and then at a stoplight, I'll feel a little shudder.

If your shudder goes away with clutch application, I would think there's something amiss in your dual-mass flywheel, engine/transmission mounts, or prop shaft coupling. Maybe it's slightly out of balance and every so often everything lines up and you feel a shudder. That would definitely cause your issue with on/off power application. I think it has nothing to do with your engine.

A sudden increase in RPM is often a vacuum leak, but it could be ECU related. Codes?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
ReggieKW
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

No codes or anything. I'll grab some video of what I mean over the next few days and upload.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
No codes or anything. I'll grab some video of what I mean over the next few days and upload.
I'm about 75% sure your problem is related to engine/transmission mounts or the flex disc.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Quote:
Throwout bearing.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:37 AM   #7
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

Pushing in the clutch and hearing a sound would indicate throw-out bearing. This is not what he describes.

If the sound goes away after pushing in the clutch, it's the chatter of the dual-mass flywheel. Mine had this noise since I had the car at 30,000 miles. I still have it at 120k. It's annoying but nothing to really worry about.

My car also shudders coming to stops sometimes, maybe it's related to the chattering (worn) dual-mass flywheel, though I can't say for certain.
      05-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhb View Post
Pushing in the clutch and hearing a sound would indicate throw-out bearing. This is not what he describes.

If the sound goes away after pushing in the clutch, it's the chatter of the dual-mass flywheel. Mine had this noise since I had the car at 30,000 miles. I still have it at 120k. It's annoying but nothing to really worry about.

My car also shudders coming to stops sometimes, maybe it's related to the chattering (worn) dual-mass flywheel, though I can't say for certain.
It's not the flywheel chattering, it's the gears in the transmission (hence it goes away when you push the clutch pedal in). Every gear in the transmission spins as long as the clutch is engaged, regardless of gear selected. A worn flywheel exaggerates the chattering, but it isn't the source. It's a normal thing for these cars, unfortunately.

OP, you should run a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner through your car. Pour a bottle into an empty tank, fill the tank half way with gas, then drive HARD until empty again, then fill with another bottle of Techron, then a full tank of gas, and enjoy. For some reason, that stuff works absolute wonders on our engines and seems to cure most 'odd' running issues.

As for the clunking, it could be a worn/damaged CV joint or worn motor mounts. The mounts are filled with a hydraulic fluid that leaks over time and causes the mounts to deflate and lose their stiffness over time.
      05-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
printerror
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i 6MT

My E36 chattered when off-clutch in neutral and it disappeared as soon as you touched the pedal. After about a year, one afternoon the center of the clutch disc broke clean off and it freewheeled after that. Wasn't a difficult replacement but definitely could've left me stranded.

Bonus: Upgraded to a better clutch while I had it apart.
Appreciate 0