BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
Poiseuille
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Nike kisses Kaepernick's ring

After being informed that the flag on this shoe, set to be released for the Fourth of July, is offensive to Colin Kaepernick, Nike instantly caved and withdrew the shoe. Isn't that just great?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
Poiseuille
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 6
Run Silent10325.50
Now_Rudi5264.50
scostu948.00
Delta03116820.00
DonaldPump4854.00
MKSixer13398.00

07-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
After being informed that the flag on this shoe, set to be released for the Fourth of July, is offensive to Colin Kaepernick, Nike instantly caved and withdrew the shoe. Isn't that just great?
Why does anyone buy Nike again? We have plenty of alternate superior brands that have 95% less political look at us going on.

Last edited by NormanConquest; 07-02-2019 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 3
Run Silent10325.50
Poiseuille2516.50
MKSixer13398.00

07-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
BS_CS
No Armrest club
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS / 2014 BMW X5

Wonder why.

4 U.S. Code § 8. Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
(Added Pub. L. 105–225, § 2(a), Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1497.)

LINK - https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/8

07-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_CS View Post
Wonder why.

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
If that was the reason, then I imagine many wouldn't have an issue with it. But that was not the reason, now was it?

"Kaepernick said he and others found the shoe offensive because of its ties to America's era of slavery."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...eport-n1025626
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/01/busin...uly/index.html
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nike-ni...es-11562024126

Good try trying to make shit up though, shame that facts got into the way.

MKSixer13398.00
Poiseuille2516.50
arkie6299.00
glennQNYC4926.50

07-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
gjm120
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
Wonder why.

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

Your point being??

07-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
Poiseuille
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wonder why.

[SIZE="5"](d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.[/SIZE]

[IMG]https://media2.giphy.com/media/a3zqvrH40Cdhu/giphy.gif[/IMG]
gee, thanks for the heads up: we'll have to get busy destroying every nomex driving suit that has an American flag embroidered on it. That would be pretty much all of them in North America.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent10325.50
MKSixer13398.00

07-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

When we're all long dead and forgotten, are later generations in America (say 200+ years out) STILL going to be whining/crying/bringing up this slavery shit? I mean, is it ever going to end? FFS move on!

And if assholes like Kaperprick want to spend their whole lives hating white people, he'll wind up hating all the whites who died in the Civil War to end slavery as well. Obviously slavery was horrible and a stain on history, but never forget the folks who put an end to it in the first place.
Appreciate 11
Poiseuille2516.50
Run Silent10325.50
ItsGary1232.50
scostu948.00
SakhirM49200.50
Delta03116820.00
MKSixer13398.00
CarPoor77.00

07-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
one 35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSM/terra

nike

This has reached the point of being absurd. No more nike for me. I know they will not care but I will feel better.
Appreciate 6
Run Silent10325.50
Poiseuille2516.50
SakhirM49200.50
glennQNYC4926.50

07-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
gjm120
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by one 35i View Post
This has reached the point of being absurd. No more nike for me. I know they will not care but I will feel better.
That's the way to deal with it. Lucky for me I never liked their gear - image or fit of the shoes.

I'm curious if Nike comes out with a 50 state flag what will be Colin K's reaction. There is some shred of logic to an original colonies' flag. My guess it won't be slavery but social injustice that he objects to.
Poiseuille2516.50

07-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
UglyBuzzard
Baba Booey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Use to be a X5 50i M Sport

I love my adidas - sneakers are way more comfortable and last longer...

Wish those that hate America so much would just move out already and stop spending my tax dollars! More room for legal immigrants that want to contribute & love our great nation...
Appreciate 3
Poiseuille2516.50
SakhirM49200.50

07-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #12
TheWatchGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Wonder why.

This refers to an actual flag. you know, the thing that flies in the sky on a flag pole.

If you wanted to actual be smart, you could make an argument based on this article, but you got too clever for your own good.

but you'd also be wrong in that assumption as well since the supreme court ruled a long time ago that it was unconstitutional

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 6
      07-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #13
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
This refers to an actual flag. you know, the thing that flies in the sky on a flag pole.

If you wanted to actual be smart, you could make an argument based on this article, but you got too clever for your own good.

but you'd also be wrong in that assumption as well since the supreme court ruled a long time ago that it was unconstitutional
Let's not forget the law cited is from 1998 while the flag used on the shoe is a flag from 1780's when our government had real issues and problem to concern themselves about then flag etiquette.
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille2516.50

07-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #14
Now_Rudi
I go by many names
Rep
Drives: Magic Carpet

Was the ring that Nike kissed the brown one between his cheeks?

How does this guy continue to have any relevancy whatsoever in society? I don't get it. So/so athlete that makes a big stink so that it takes the focus off how shitty he is at his job that he gets paid WAY too much for in the first place. Then gets more money handed to him just to shut up and go away, but yet he still has enough clout to make Nike pull product before it's release date? Strange world we live in these days.

Those shoes are ugly as hell anyway......which oddly enough, means they would sell like hotcakes. We truly live in crazy bizarro backwards land.

Speaking of adidas......I suppose it could have been worse.
Attached Images

Last edited by Now_Rudi; 07-02-2019 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 3
Joekerr4351.50
Poiseuille2516.50

07-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #15
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
My .00000002 cents? I am against wearing the flag if it is part of your shoes or clothing. Of course a flag pin is just fine, as is a hat with the US flag. Patches on the shoulder (like soldiers or astronauts wear it) are fine.

But my reasons are not the reasons Kap is against it. Probably the exact opposite.
      07-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #16
Poiseuille
Colonel
United_States
Rep

lol @ Kaepernick==>
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #17
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lol @ Kaepernick==>
Irrespective of the details of this debacle - man, that is one ugly fucking shoe.

07-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #18
BS_CS
No Armrest club
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS / 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
My .00000002 cents? I am against wearing the flag if it is part of your shoes or clothing. Of course a flag pin is just fine, as is a hat with the US flag. Patches on the shoulder (like soldiers or astronauts wear it) are fine.

But my reasons are not the reasons Kap is against it. Probably the exact opposite.
More to the point I was trying to make originally, albeit poorly. Not a fan of any clothing manufacturer misusing the flag and what it represents for profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Irrespective of the details of this debacle - man, that is one ugly fucking shoe.

Totally agreed on that. Regardless of the offensiveness, it's god awful looking.
      07-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #19
Schwarzschild Radius
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:

Looks like something Betsy Ross might have worn if she were powerwalking at the mall at 75 years old.

07-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
Poiseuille
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
lol @ Kaepernick==>

well, tbh i was hoping to ignore that small detail but yes, the shoes are pretty you-glee. prolly sell great in Mogadishu though.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent10325.50

07-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #21
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Thought I'd peek in on bp and as a former marketing and advertising guy, this thread caught my attention.

*Mr. Super Woke is a spokesman for Nike.
* His positions are clearly on the table. Silly, but whatever.
* Nike, of all companies, celebrates Betsy Ross?
* Not one person at Nike asked Super Woke, whom they pay, for his opinion before production?
* How long have these ugly shoes been on the market? The 4th is Thursday...timing.
* How many did they produce?

Just thinking outside the box but I smell a publicity stunt. A punch in the nose to many Americans too.
Poiseuille2516.50
UncleWede7355.00

07-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #22
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
well, tbh i was hoping to ignore that small detail but yes, the shoes are pretty you-glee. prolly sell great in Mogadishu though.
I've been to Mogadishu several times. Any shoe would sell there, assuming you would take barter trade for it, such as an RPG-7 or a Type-56.