BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-04-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

Was 1M sold at dealer markup?

Hello 1M fam, I have some questions dating back to 2011 (I just got to college in that year ) Were all the 1M sold at dealer markup or was some of them sold at MSRP? I kinda want to know what people paid for it when they bought it new.... Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:15 PM   #2
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

some sold at MSRP some sold at Markup.

i was offered a black 1M at MSRP in 2011 and couldn't afford it. I bought one 'used' in 2014 when i could afford it and was told the owner had bought it at MSRP.

i have heard of other 1Ms which sold for $10-20k over sticker.
      10-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
de85275
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 424/740

Garage List
The first dealer I contacted (IG Burton) wanted $10k markup, and that would be after keeping it as a demo vehicle. The next dealer I called (Union Park, Wilmington) said no problem, I could custom order it and get it at MSRP. I did the performance pickup in South Carolina, Great Experience!
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1201.50
juyeop93.00
      10-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

There no hard numbers but I know equal number of people that got them at MSRP and over MSRP. My guesstimate being there in 2011 is about 3-5k over MSRP was common. Some might have paid 7-10k but don't know anyone over 5k myself. I do know a one person that ordered so far ahead that they negotiated $1000 over euro delivery invoice because the dealer had no idea what the 1M was. That is probably the deal of the century. I paid over MSRP for my first one. Hope that helps but that should have no bearing on today's price. When I sold my first one I had several people tell me I was asking more than MSRP even though I had paid more than MSRP to begin with and was the lowest price 1M in the country. I just politely said, I'm sorry you are welcome to go find a 1M for MSRP or under in 2013.
Appreciate 1
juyeop93.00
      10-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I paid $5k over MSRP. It was a tough pill to swallow considering I had never even paid MSRP for a car before let alone over. I happened to be in the right place at the right time, at a new dealership who had ordered their sole allocation and had the car en route without a buyer, which was unheard of at the time. Fortunately, the car reassures me that it was the right decision every time I drive it!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 2
nachob2307.00
juyeop93.00
      10-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by de85275 View Post
The first dealer I contacted (IG Burton) wanted $10k markup, and that would be after keeping it as a demo vehicle. The next dealer I called (Union Park, Wilmington) said no problem, I could custom order it and get it at MSRP. I did the performance pickup in South Carolina, Great Experience!
That's awesome!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #7
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I paid $5k over MSRP. It was a tough pill to swallow considering I had never even paid MSRP for a car before let alone over. I happened to be in the right place at the right time, at a new dealership who had ordered their sole allocation and had the car en route without a buyer, which was unheard of at the time. Fortunately, the car reassures me that it was the right decision every time I drive it!
Considering the used price now, $5,000 is not that bad really.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

got 2%discount on mine in canada, had to haggle a little, also got MPerfomance steering at half price (list price error) and free install
      10-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

I paid European Delivery MSRP, I had a previous relationship with my dealer, and they treated me well.

TJ
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      10-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #10
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by juyeop View Post
Hello 1M fam, I have some questions dating back to 2011 (I just got to college in that year ) Were all the 1M sold at dealer markup or was some of them sold at MSRP? I kinda want to know what people paid for it when they bought it new.... Thanks!
Ordered mine from Otto’s in Pa at MSRP for euro delivery .... great experience that I would suggest to everyone .... if you get lucky, you can make a great friend like Nacho
Appreciate 3
nachob2307.00
Dackelone10511.00
///BYU268.50
      10-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #11
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Many dealers I contacted were asking around 10k over sticker. I got lucky with my local dealer, custom ordered it at MSRP.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 03:54 PM   #12
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
I bought mine overseas with Bavarian Motors, a diplomatic and military BMW sales place. Picked mine up in Germany for $50k with nav, heated seats, comfort access, sunroof delete, HK sound. Best car I have ever purchased, new or used! Saved about $5k over stateside prices 😀
      10-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #13
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
There no hard numbers but I know equal number of people that got them at MSRP and over MSRP. My guesstimate being there in 2011 is about 3-5k over MSRP was common. Some might have paid 7-10k but don't know anyone over 5k myself.
This seems right to me. I think there were three basic ways to get a 1M allocation in the United States back in the day:

1. Get on a waiting list at a BMW Center when the car was still a rumor
2. Pay over MSRP
3. Call a ton of dealers and get incredibly lucky to find an available allocation

I lucked out with #3. I called BMW Centers all over the country and basically had the same conversation, which ended with the dealer telling me they already had a waiting list, but they'd add me to it and let me know -- and my saying, "thank you, I would really appreciate that."

Then one day I got a call out of the blue from one of the dealers I had contacted -- BMW of Peabody near Boston. They said, "you're not going to believe this, but we have an allocation and you're next on the list. Do you want it?" I asked if they would sell it at MSRP and they said yes. Then I asked if there were any way I could do European Delivery and purchase the car at European Delivery MSRP. The guy put me on hold for a minute and came back and said yes. I was ecstatic. Alex Dytko handled the European Delivery and we've stayed in touch. I feel like I won the lottery.

There was an "available allocations" thread on here back then that was crazy (it reached 77 pages in 4 months). Someone would post that they just gave up an allocation (some people were on multiple lists and would get additional allocations after they already had a confirmed production number from another dealer) or heard about an allocation being available at "x" dealer and by the time I called the dealer after work, they would say they'd already had several calls about it. And then there were the posts by people saying they're pretty sure BMW just released a bunch of new allocations to all dealers(!) and it was a confused feeding frenzy. I'm sure the client advisors hated it because I and probably everyone else would call the dealers we were on the list at and ask if they got any new allocations because "I read on the forum..." I would sit at work refreshing the thread.

The "available allocations" thread disappeared for a while, but I just found it. Don't add to it. It's a perfect time capsule.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568787

It's a miracle I didn't lose my job back then because, for a few weeks, I probably spent half my time at work on 1Addicts trying to find an allocation, reading about people's delivery experiences, and eventually tracking my 1M on the Elektra with other forum members whose 1Ms were also on the same ship.
Appreciate 5
nachob2307.00
GimmeanM1448.50
Tornado1M1201.50
ayao627.50
dtla1826.00
      10-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #14
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

///BYU - your post conjures up a huge trip down memory lane. So much of what you write describes my exact experience!

From the allocation roller coaster (ranging from “I’ve got solid lead for you” —> $10k ADM to “I’ll be happy to put you on our waiting list” to “Let me look here...why yes it looks like in fact we do have an allocation” to watching in real time the ship carrying my 1M cross the Panama Canal on the canal webcams to panicking when the ship’s GPS was out of whack in the middle of the Atlantic...and remember your MTF group buy?

We truly belong to a twisted cult.
Appreciate 3
///BYU268.50
nachob2307.00
Tornado1M1201.50
      10-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #15
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Ordered two at MSRP less incentives. Placed deposits at three dealers in 2010 got one allocation early and picked up July 2011 and second I picked up in October 2011. One dealer I had never done business with before, the other I had purchased a few cars from prior.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #16
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Paid $500 under MSRP!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #17
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Was #7 to put down a payment in february at the 2 car allocation Manhattan dealership. Got a call in june for being next in line to purchase at MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #18
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

The original owner of mine paid MSRP
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #19
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

The local dealer wanted $5k over. Found an allocation at another about an hour away, and was ecstatic. I committed to the purchase, signed the forms, exchanged the emails, and they took my deposit over the phone.

45 min later I get a call saying another salesman had already committed the allocation to someone else, they just hadn't signed anything yet. I strongly suspect BS, and am pretty sure the used my commitment to squeeze a "market adjustment" from the other buyer.

I ended up calling 62 dealerships before finding my allocation. Ended up buying the car from a Idaho Falls at MSRP (I live in OH), picked it up at the Performance Delivery Center (highly recommended), and drove it home.

Still have the car today, and doubt I'll ever sell it.

A roller coaster ride for sure!
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      10-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
The local dealer wanted $5k over. Found an allocation at another about an hour away, and was ecstatic. I committed to the purchase, signed the forms, exchanged the emails, and they took my deposit over the phone.

45 min later I get a call saying another salesman had already committed the allocation to someone else, they just hadn't signed anything yet. I strongly suspect BS, and am pretty sure the used my commitment to squeeze a "market adjustment" from the other buyer.

I ended up calling 62 dealerships before finding my allocation. Ended up buying the car from a Idaho Falls at MSRP (I live in OH), picked it up at the Performance Delivery Center (highly recommended), and drove it home.

Still have the car today, and doubt I'll ever sell it.

A roller coaster ride for sure!
OP your question about markup doesn't even paint a full picture. Many of us worked for weeks and months to get allocations. I personally contacted over 100 dealers put down three deposits that I had to get refunded when they backed out. It was the craziest and worse buying experience of my life. I had waited two years for 1M from first rumor to production and had my name on first one. Dealer backed out when 1M came around because I didn't put deposit even though I tried and they told me I didn't need deposit because I was a good customer. Eventually they granted me the 2nd allocation after months of going back and forth and a friend that worked for them speaking to the sales manager and paying over MSRP. For many of us it was a lot of work so when I sold mine with 14k miles and listed it less than any in the country I was annoyed when many that didn't live that tell me I was asking more than MSRP. For many of us it was more than just MSRP there was a lot of aggravation and effort on top of it.
Appreciate 1
eeghie299.50
      10-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #21
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
OP your question about markup doesn't even paint a full picture. Many of us worked for weeks and months to get allocations. I personally contacted over 100 dealers put down three deposits that I had to get refunded when they backed out. It was the craziest and worse buying experience of my life. I had waited two years for 1M from first rumor to production and had my name on first one. Dealer backed out when 1M came around because I didn't put deposit even though I tried and they told me I didn't need deposit because I was a good customer. Eventually they granted me the 2nd allocation after months of going back and forth and a friend that worked for them speaking to the sales manager and paying over MSRP. For many of us it was a lot of work so when I sold mine with 14k miles and listed it less than any in the country I was annoyed when many that didn't live that tell me I was asking more than MSRP. For many of us it was more than just MSRP there was a lot of aggravation and effort on top of it.
True that, reading your story, i might have paid more than MSRP just to avoid the ridiculous allocation shenanigans that were going on. Joined the 1M train relatively late around september 2010. It was the first and last BMW for me (i have my dream car and will never (hopefully have to) sell it). Same here: The year from wanting to buy it till buying it was the worst buying experience ever.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #22
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Agreed. It was time consuming and stressful for sure, by far the worst buying experience I've ever had. Unfortunately this trend continues for anything perceived as a future collectible.
Appreciate 2
nachob2307.00
///BYU268.50