BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2019, 03:04 AM   #1
ohcodeine
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i BMW 1M

135i Build

Hello!

Been lurking for a few months now; reading, learning and understanding the N54 platform. I recently purchased a 2009 135i in AW with 78000kms. Unfortunately the car is an automatic which is a bummer however I got it for a steal.

I am planning a build list and have a few concerns about the car with some issues being already apparent. I had read VTL’s entire thread of his AW 135i build which was extremely helpful. The car will be used as the sole purpose of a DD.

I believe I have encountered the ‘smoking turbos’ issue as I had revved the car a few times the other day and there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I read on the forums and many of the members had quoted that it must be due to the turbo seals failing.

Now my question is, will I still be able to drive the car around or am I running into trouble if I do so? Also, what would be the best route to go in terms of replacing them? I read in another thread whereby someone was seeking knowledge of the ‘best RHD single turbo’. A lot of the forum members said that aftermarket twins don’t last long which I have read about in many other places. Now, would it be best to replace it with another set of stock twins, go single? I also have the opportunity to grab a pair of Dinan rebuilt turbos for cheap. Any idea if they work for RHD cars?

In regards to exhaust, what would be the best setup? I’m thinking of going with VRSF catless downpipes and a custom quad exhaust (M1 Style) to fit the carbon diffuser I’m planning to purchase from inside performance.

I don’t want to spare any money on this car. I am planning to keep it for years and hence want to invest money and time in to it. I’m already in love with it! What would be the best intercooler, charge pipe and tune for it? I’m thinking of going with VRSF, ER and MHD with JB4 piggyback. What are your thoughts regarding this?

With the suspension, I am completely clueless as it’s my first time learning about the various components. I have once again read the forums and many seem to like the BMW Performance Suspension. Is anyone running this and what are your thoughts regarding it? If there’s better ones out there, could I purchase an entire kit or would I need to chase and accumulate individual suspension bits?

Any other FBO mods I should know about?

In terms of cosmetics, I’m thinking of going with the BMW Performance Carbon Trunk Spoiler, possibly carbon mirror caps, LUX angel eyes, either Apex Arc-8 wheels or Style 313s, black interior trim, possibly CiC retrofit, insideperformance carbon diffuser.

Last but not least, I definitely need to get a new set of runners. I checked VTLs thread and he recommended the Yokohama AD08R. Anyone else tried these? What are your thoughts?

I’m really sorry for the long post. I’m really excited and want this car to be perfect
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Hi,

Skip the Dinan turbos.

Just get a set of RB turbos.
If your thinking single turbo for rhd your up for minimim 10k and easily more.

Vrsf exhaust will be fine.

For suspension, kw range is pretty good and reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
Brule
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 6spd man

Intercooler, chargepipe and tune you mentioned are the way to go.
Bms has a pheonix intercooler which is 2 309 cheaper than vrsf 7.5 race version.

I personally would get a plazmaman intercooler but it requires custom fitting. The intercooler itself would be similar price to vrsf by the time its delivered to Australia
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Welcome!

Just make sure the maintenance is 100% before dumping all the money into mods.

Tune - Just go MHD flash only, with a custom tune. Forget piggybacks they're ancient garbage.

Turbo - OEM twins or Single turbo, hybrids won't be reliable. Single turbo will be a lot of work and be prepared to be tinkering a lot with it to get it perfect (but at least the turbo won't be failing)

Intercooler - Wagner Evo 1 performance (i don't like the fitment of the silicone couplers of the higher end models), VRSF 7" HD or 7.5" race, or the PSP intercoolers are good options

Charge pipe - Stock charge pipe from 01/2009 onwards is the weak version, the earlier ones don't fail. Personally I'd just go with an earlier OEM on cos it fits the best but for aftermarket I would only consider ER. The other stuff just doesn't fit perfectly or is prone to leaking.

Common for the chargepipes with no supporting bracket to wear out the oring connection. (OEM and ER pipes have a bracket to prevent this). The constant diameter 3" charge pipe always rub on the power steering hose as well.

Suspension - Get a set of coilovers, BMW performance suspension is barely an upgrade. Coilovers aren't the only thing that needs doing though, theres plenty of other stuff like rear subframe bushes and M3 front control arms that really need to be upgraded as well.

Coilovers not sure what to recommend tbh, wasn't really happy with the options out there so pieced together a coilover setup myself (KW competition shocks with H&R springs with spring rates I chose). Most of the off the shelf kits come with soft spring rates which in my opinion are still too soft even for driving on mountain roads and definitely too soft for track use.

Can always do a manual swap if its a super clean example and you've already invested a ton of money in maintenance and mods. I've done 2 manual swaps so far on this platform and totally transforms the feel of the car from a soft cruiser to a proper drivers car.
      07-22-2019, 06:07 AM   #5
R3LMV
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcodeine View Post
Hello!

Been lurking for a few months now; reading, learning and understanding the N54 platform. I recently purchased a 2009 135i in AW with 78000kms. Unfortunately the car is an automatic which is a bummer however I got it for a steal.

I am planning a build list and have a few concerns about the car with some issues being already apparent. I had read VTL’s entire thread of his AW 135i build which was extremely helpful. The car will be used as the sole purpose of a DD.

I believe I have encountered the ‘smoking turbos’ issue as I had revved the car a few times the other day and there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I read on the forums and many of the members had quoted that it must be due to the turbo seals failing.

Now my question is, will I still be able to drive the car around or am I running into trouble if I do so? Also, what would be the best route to go in terms of replacing them? I read in another thread whereby someone was seeking knowledge of the ‘best RHD single turbo’. A lot of the forum members said that aftermarket twins don’t last long which I have read about in many other places. Now, would it be best to replace it with another set of stock twins, go single? I also have the opportunity to grab a pair of Dinan rebuilt turbos for cheap. Any idea if they work for RHD cars?

In regards to exhaust, what would be the best setup? I’m thinking of going with VRSF catless downpipes and a custom quad exhaust (M1 Style) to fit the carbon diffuser I’m planning to purchase from inside performance.

I don’t want to spare any money on this car. I am planning to keep it for years and hence want to invest money and time in to it. I’m already in love with it! What would be the best intercooler, charge pipe and tune for it? I’m thinking of going with VRSF, ER and MHD with JB4 piggyback. What are your thoughts regarding this?

With the suspension, I am completely clueless as it’s my first time learning about the various components. I have once again read the forums and many seem to like the BMW Performance Suspension. Is anyone running this and what are your thoughts regarding it? If there’s better ones out there, could I purchase an entire kit or would I need to chase and accumulate individual suspension bits?

Any other FBO mods I should know about?

In terms of cosmetics, I’m thinking of going with the BMW Performance Carbon Trunk Spoiler, possibly carbon mirror caps, LUX angel eyes, either Apex Arc-8 wheels or Style 313s, black interior trim, possibly CiC retrofit, insideperformance carbon diffuser.

Last but not least, I definitely need to get a new set of runners. I checked VTLs thread and he recommended the Yokohama AD08R. Anyone else tried these? What are your thoughts?

I’m really sorry for the long post. I’m really excited and want this car to be perfect

I'll be picking mine up this week and new to the N54 platform and Sydney!

Looking forward to your progress, unsure what I'm going to do to mine I just want to pick it up first lol!
Appreciate 0