BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #45
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Exactly my point. My ideal setup would be to have a 2nd E82 with MT in the garage but that's nuts. If I could snap my fingers and change my car to MT not absolutely sure I'd do it.
Well, if snapping my fingers really worked I'd wish for a 100% functioning left ankle and a 6-speed 135i to go with it.

PS - on second thought, make that a 1M.
      06-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #46
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

On the subject of manuals, I read recently in MotorTrend's Future Cars July 2019 issue that Ford has no plans to offer a manual transmission in the 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500. Only a 7-speed twin clutch automatic. I understand that this is a special edition Mustang and probably more suited for the track, but a V8 Mustang without a manual transmission is just wrong in my book. Don't know of any other V8 mustangs that didn't/don't offer a manual. The new Bullitt has one, as does the GT350.
      06-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #47
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
My real question is which goes first...

Manual transmission
Internal combustion
Self-driving cars

Call it progress, disruption or the inevitable destruction of individuality. I guess it doesn't matter which since all three are the future. The future of the automobile looks bleak. :-/
      06-09-2019, 07:17 PM   #48
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
speaking of articles, there is hope...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/o...hift-cars.html
Appreciate 1
Esteban43345.00
      06-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #49
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
speaking of articles, there is hope...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/o...hift-cars.html
Wonderful article... I love it! Great argument for keeping the manual.

Honestly, one piece of technology I wish I had is a backup camera. My wife has one in her 370Z and it works flawlessly. A driver just has to make sure to use it properly, unlike the author of the above article. Also important not to get yours and your wife's car confused, like the author of the above article. lol

There are several ways I've seen to get a backup camera on my car, but the only way that looks worthwhile to me so far is the Bimmertech backup camera. But iDrive is required, and I don't have that option.

Last edited by Esteban; 06-09-2019 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #50
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Wonderful article... I love it! Great argument for keeping the manual.

Honestly, one piece of technology I wish I had is a backup camera. My wife has one in her 370Z and it works flawlessly. A driver just has to make sure to use it properly, unlike the author of the above article. Also important not to get yours and your wife's car confused, like the author of the above article. lol

There are several ways I've seen to get a backup camera on my car, but the only way that looks worthwhile to me so far is the Bimmertech backup camera. But iDrive is required, and I don't have that option.
Agree completely! I love the backup camera on my wife's Subaru. Have heard disparaging comments about them by other 1-Series owners because they feel it is so easy to see behind and to the sides of our cars. They have obviously never used one. There is no way to see a small child or object on the ground behind you using only the mirrors, no matter how far you swivel your neck. I continue to look for an affordable solution to add to my 135.

My wife's Subaru has other driver assist features as well. My favorite is the forward collision warning/emergency braking feature. I am sure that many purists will argue the need by chastising me to just keep my eyes on the road. However, last week I took her car in for service, and on the way home I allowed my eyes to wander for only a moment. (A beautiful Porsche Carrera GT was on my right.) Suddenly, a loud warning alarm sounded and I snapped my head back just as the Subaru applied the brakes, keeping me from rear-ending the BMW 335i in front of me. This makes three times that this feature has saved us in only two years.

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43345.00
      06-10-2019, 10:14 AM   #51
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I think some distinction is required.

For any sports car that I own (that isn't a daily driver) I will ALWAYS want a manual transmission. Always. I want to row gears. It's fun.

For any car that is my soft, squishy, comfortable way I get around town, I'll ALWAYS want an autotragic and soon self driving.

I have multiple cars with multiple intentions. I get why people who spend a lot of butt time with their sports cars want an automatic, but as I don't have to drive mine when I don't want to, I will always pick the clutched option.
      06-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #52
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

I will always choose the clutched option, period. Unfortunately the OP doesn't have that option.

Every car I have ever owned had a manual, whether they were sporty or not. I still have a 5-speed manual Explorer as a beater. My dream truck was always a 5-speed Bronco and I still regret not getting one when I had the chance. Even though they aren't always "fun," I still prefer the control I have over a any manually-shifted vehicle. Control is also the reason I will never purchase a self-driving car.

I don't drive in stop-and-go traffic on my daily commute, however, driving in traffic with a manual isn't that hard. You just keep it in first and leave enough of a gap that you can decelerate until traffic moves again without needing to clutch. Yes, it requires you to pay attention, but hey, you're driving a car not sitting on a couch. You should be paying attention.

I embrace technology in many aspects of my life but not in my automobile. I'm going to be a surly old bastard. GTFO my lawn!
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #53
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
Agree completely! I love the backup camera on my wife's Subaru. Have heard disparaging comments about them by other 1-Series owners because they feel it is so easy to see behind and to the sides of our cars. They have obviously never used one. There is no way to see a small child or object on the ground behind you using only the mirrors, no matter how far you swivel your neck. I continue to look for an affordable solution to add to my 135.

Peace... Mack
Yep, a driver is only presuming there is nothing directly behind the car below the view of the rear window and doesn't know for sure. It's the one area that can't be seen no matter how hard the driver looks. Unless they have a backup camera.