BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Better induction sound?

Has anyone found a way to improve the induction sound on the N52/N51? I removed the top of the airbox on my BMW PI and all I got was an annoying loud drone. The sound level was about right, but not the pitch. The best sounding intakes on my Honda were always short rams.

The Turner performance intake seems like a good option since it still funnels cold air from the stock location, but if it sounds like the top of the airbox removed, no thanks. What is the consensus on the Injen strictly from a sound output standpoint?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

I've got a drop in filter in the stock airbox, charcoal delete, and AFE scoops.

It gives a nice little induction sound that you can hear in the cabin that isn't odd sounding.

Maybe try the charcoal delete first with the air scoops. The scoops are about $100, but can be used with most of the aftermarket intakes anyway. But you may like it like that, and you won't have to drop any serious money on a completely different intake that is purely for sound anyway.

I like them as I feel it made a difference in pulls to red line being smoother and easier.
      06-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

My bad....I just seen you had the PI intake. Maybe put the top back on and try the scoops todd see what you think. I know AFE recommends them with their intakes for the most performance.
      06-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

I think I will eventually break down and get the Turner kit. It should sound similar to the aFe kit, but with better cold air routing.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Open throttle body is the best you can do. Your valve seats won't thank you though.

Keep in mind it's a slow car with a low specific output engine that doesn't even rev high. So you'll just look like a tool to everyone while your intake loudly sucks air.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #6
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

No longer being a teenager, I don't give two shits what others think. I chose a 128 for its superior balance, agility, and overall feel. One area where it comes up short is sound. Since this car is all about impressing ME, I want to improve the aural sensations to match the rest of the car.

If I had wanted a higher output 135, I would have bought one. I didn't. I have only owned NA cars and prefer to keep it that way.
Appreciate 8
Suprgnat2281.00
Rmtt8206.00
N54Yankee2706.00
      06-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #7
nurielly
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i - E88

My Turner Motorsports intake and silicone intake boot is coming in today. I will post an update once I have it installed!
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurielly View Post
My Turner Motorsports intake and silicone intake boot is coming in today. I will post an update once I have it installed!
Sweet! You're my hero! Removing the resonator in the stock tube with the silicone tube should have a noticeable impact in sound also.

With a partially sealed box like the Turner kit, I would think the aFe induction scoops might actually help. Without a sealed box, the intake won't necessarily draw air from the stock scoops. Even if it does, it will be air that's washed up from the radiator (hot) and into the intake system. I would think the scoops will ram fresh air into the Turner box so that it doesn't pick up hot air from under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
The silicone boot made a nice, but not drastic difference. It was definitely more grumbly and gruff sounding, but not even in the same league as the death snorting of an E46 M3 CSL. The big issue fighting the sound is the absurd distance from the air filter to the valves. I've toyed (and am toying once again) with doing what BPC did a while ago, and doing a modified intake manifold with open runners. It'll kill any low-end grunt, but their 328i made something like 280whp when revved to 8200rpm. Exactly how an N/A motor should make power, and it sounded insane doing it...
      06-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #10
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
their 328i made something like 280whp when revved to 8200rpm
Sign me up!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #11
nurielly
Canada
Rep

Just got it installed! It took about 45 minutes to complete. Turner Motorsports provides an in-depth pdf instruction guide, which helps a lot.

And the verdict..... it sounds glorious! The induction noise is very deep and aggressive and it's UNIFORM around the car. It for sure makes my car more fun to drive. There is a big difference in sound compared to stock.

I definitely agree that it does "improve the aural sensations".

For reference, I have a 135i muffler installed and a custom y-pipe resonator delete.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #12
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
No longer being a teenager, I don't give two shits what others think. I chose a 128 for its superior balance, agility, and overall feel. One area where it comes up short is sound. Since this car is all about impressing ME, I want to improve the aural sensations to match the rest of the car.

If I had wanted a higher output 135, I would have bought one. I didn't. I have only owned NA cars and prefer to keep it that way.
Yeah you tell him 😂😂😂
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #13
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

How about the noisemaker/symposer on the 130i sold in Australia and UK?
It's only available with the full intake pipe from the (Euro) airbox to the throttle body.

Z4 3.0si had a similar thing but it has a duct that goes into the cabin. I don't think it will fit E82 as it is designed around the Z4 airbox and firewall.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #14
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just got it installed! It took about 45 minutes to complete. Turner Motorsports provides an in-depth pdf instruction guide, which helps a lot.

And the verdict..... it sounds glorious! The induction noise is very deep and aggressive and it's UNIFORM around the car. It for sure makes my car more fun to drive. There is a big difference in sound compared to stock.

For reference, I have a 135i muffler installed and a custom y-pipe resonator delete.
This is good news. I think I'll need to check it out!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #15
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:

What's it like during highway cruising? Is there much drone? If you get a chance to post a sound clip, I know we'd all appreciate it.

With the BMW PI and charcoal delete, the N52 sounds less like a sewing machine. It's actually a good compromise for highway cruising, but I still wish it had a little more raw sound at WOT.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #16
sprp85
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
I had charcoal delete & silicone tubing on my old 128i.

It really do much in terms of induction noise..

But aFe enclosed intake on the other hand, made the car sound similar to s52 from e36 (zero complaints!).

Overall look had oem feel to it, so that was another plus.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #17
nurielly
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What's it like during highway cruising? Is there much drone? If you get a chance to post a sound clip, I know we'd all appreciate it.

With the BMW PI and charcoal delete, the N52 sounds less like a sewing machine. It's actually a good compromise for highway cruising, but I still wish it had a little more raw sound at WOT.
I've yet to bring it on the highway, but with my existing exhaust setup there was no drone. With that being said, I will try to make a few clips sometime this weekend and post it to this thread.

The "sewing machine" sound that the N52 makes really bothered me before the install. I've always wanted a deep/mean growl to my car and the TM intake solves that!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #18
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Quote:

I've yet to bring it on the highway, but with my existing exhaust setup there was no drone. With that being said, I will try to make a few clips sometime this weekend and post it to this thread.

The "sewing machine" sound that the N52 makes really bothered me before the install. I've always wanted a deep/mean growl to my car and the TM intake solves that!
Would love to hear them as I really want more sound of the intake. It's so damn muffled, I swear I'm going to just start ripping out insulation lol
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #19
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Has anyone found a way to improve the induction sound on the N52/N51? I removed the top of the airbox on my BMW PI and all I got was an annoying loud drone. The sound level was about right, but not the pitch. The best sounding intakes on my Honda were always short rams.

The Turner performance intake seems like a good option since it still funnels cold air from the stock location, but if it sounds like the top of the airbox removed, no thanks. What is the consensus on the Injen strictly from a sound output standpoint?
Quote:

drive with the hood open at all times, head out the drivers window
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #20
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

what's your existing exhaust setup if you don't mind me asking? I'm also interested in audio/video clips because even though it isn't high on my build's to do list.. it is something I'd pursue if it's worth doing/eventually

on a side note, the sewing machine noise is the reason I got headers as well... let those babies breathe!!!
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #21
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:

My E85 /N52 changed a good bit when I installed a three stage intake and tune. Big difference came after the tune that properly uses the Disa valves. 4,500 RPM and above was completely new with a mean intake sound.

Granted the E85 has no sound proofing in the engine bay so you can hear all of the mechanicals.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #22
nurielly
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscatscoffee15 View Post
what's your existing exhaust setup if you don't mind me asking? I'm also interested in audio/video clips because even though it isn't high on my build's to do list.. it is something I'd pursue if it's worth doing/eventually

on a side note, the sewing machine noise is the reason I got headers as well... let those babies breathe!!!
I just have a 135i muffler ($100 ex. labor/install) and a custom y-pipe resonator delete ($120 ex. labor/install) [CAD]. I might end up doing headers + tune, but it's too high for my budget as of now.

& I will get video/sound clips up soon!
Appreciate 0