BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #23
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Without a doubt I would recommend get ting the RSFBs 2 piece or inserts. It's really a must have on these cars. The other thing I added was a rear diff brace for $150 from 135droptop. Those and the TRW M3 control arms made a big difference in the handling.

I debated back and forth whether to add the Dinan camber plates. In the end I did the control arms and am happy with the added steering response and haven't felt the need for the Dinan plates. It depends on how much camber you want to add. I'm at -1.4 with the M3 arms and pins knocked out. Personally for my driving this works great. If you plan to track it you might want more.

Id recommend that you plan on the the bushings then see how much budget you have left & that will help determine what suspension options you have.

What is your intended use for the car?
-1.4 degrees is just about perfect for spirited street use, so the camber plates won't really be necessary unless you plan to track your vehicle.

I strongly recommend the Bilsteins. it is a blessing to be able to install them if you are RWD. great suspension!

OP, I'd also recommend the M3 control arms and some sway bars. If your budget allows for it, buy an LSD.
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #24
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mexican Women View Post
-1.4 degrees is just about perfect for spirited street use, so the camber plates won't really be necessary unless you plan to track your vehicle.

I strongly recommend the Bilsteins. it is a blessing to be able to install them if you are RWD. great suspension!

OP, I'd also recommend the M3 control arms and some sway bars. If your budget allows for it, buy an LSD.
And the winner of "Username of the Year" award goes too... Big Mexican Women!

You're the best lmao
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #25
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
And the winner of "Username of the Year" award goes too... Big Mexican Women!

You're the best lmao
hahahaha thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:09 AM   #26
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mexican Women View Post
Quote:
Without a doubt I would recommend get ting the RSFBs 2 piece or inserts. It's really a must have on these cars. The other thing I added was a rear diff brace for $150 from 135droptop. Those and the TRW M3 control arms made a big difference in the handling.

I debated back and forth whether to add the Dinan camber plates. In the end I did the control arms and am happy with the added steering response and haven't felt the need for the Dinan plates. It depends on how much camber you want to add. I'm at -1.4 with the M3 arms and pins knocked out. Personally for my driving this works great. If you plan to track it you might want more.

Id recommend that you plan on the the bushings then see how much budget you have left & that will help determine what suspension options you have.

What is your intended use for the car?

Would you recommend doing suspension or LSD first?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:31 AM   #27
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
LSD.

The LSD completely changes the car. There's no point dialing in your suspension then adding a LSD, because it will totally change the way the car behaves.

It may even change your suspension goals - without a LSD it's game over when you loose traction. With a LSD, the fun doesn't start until at least one wheel has lost traction.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 04:41 AM   #28
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
Quote:
LSD.

The LSD completely changes the car. There's no point dialing in your suspension then adding a LSD, because it will totally change the way the car behaves.

It may even change your suspension goals - without a LSD it's game over when you loose traction. With a LSD, the fun doesn't start until at least one wheel has lost traction.
With my budget I have two potential routes I can take:

1: Bilstein B12/Koni Prokit, whiteline 2 piece subframe bushings, Dinan camber plates, M3 front control arms

2: mfactory helical LSD, the 2 piece subframe bushings, and MAYBE M3 front control arms

Out of those two possible routes, which do you think would give me the biggest bang for buck? Which would make the biggest, beneficial improvement to the car on a daily basis?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:53 AM   #29
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

1: Bilstein B12/Koni Prokit, whiteline 2 piece subframe bushings, M3 front control arms

2: mfactory helical LSD, the 2 piece subframe bushings, and MAYBE M3 front control arms

Out of those two possible routes, which do you think would give me the biggest bang for buck? Which would make the biggest, beneficial improvement to the car on a daily basis?
I'd do the first option. I couldn't stand the stock suspension at all.
      06-11-2018, 04:59 AM   #30
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

1: Bilstein B12/Koni Prokit, whiteline 2 piece subframe bushings, M3 front control arms

I honestly can't believe bmw let it leave leave the factory like that. It's shockingly bad
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #31
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:

1: Bilstein B12/Koni Prokit, whiteline 2 piece subframe bushings, Dinan camber plates, M3 front control arms

start with LSD > Sway bars > M3 control arms

then go for Bilstein B12, and add camber plates for track use
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #32
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

... which do you think would give me the biggest bang for buck?

..... Which would make the biggest, beneficial improvement to the car on a daily basis?
I agree. If you get the LSD you will still be on crap suspension.

Do you need M3 arms and Dinan plates? Each adds neg. camber. With M3 arms & pins pulled I'm at -1.4/1.5. Perfect for my daily commute but I live in Flatorida. No mountain roads/it's not a track car. :-J. YMMV Not trying to talk you out of it, just asking the question.
      06-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #33
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

... which do you think would give me the biggest bang for buck?

..... Which would make the biggest, beneficial improvement to the car on a daily basis?
I agree. If you get the LSD you will still be on crap suspension.

Do you need M3 arms and Dinan plates? Each adds neg. camber. With M3 arms & pins pulled I'm at -1.4/1.5. Perfect for my daily commute but I live in Flatorida. No mountain roads/it's not a track car. :-J. YMMV Not trying to talk you out of it, just asking the question.
So it actually looks like I'll be able to do both the b12 and LSD because I forgot I get the core charge back but my rationale behind the control arms and camber plates was that I figured with increases rear end grip, the car would start to understeer more than it does now. The control arms and camber plates should help neutralize that
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #34
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So it actually looks like I'll be able to do both the b12 and LSD because I forgot I get the core charge back but my rationale behind the control arms and camber plates was that I figured with increases rear end grip, the car would start to understeer more than it does now. The control arms and camber plates should help neutralize that
With more camber, the car won't understeer more.

Do you even track, bro? If not, I'd say M3 arms are just fine for street driving.
Appreciate 1
Gangplank1541.50
      06-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #35
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
With more camber, the car won't understeer more.

Do you even track, bro? If not, I'd say M3 arms are just fine for street driving.
I meant with the LSD the car car will understeer more without the m3 control arms or camber plate. I'll start with just the m3 front control arms and see if I even need anymore front camber before getting the plates
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:08 AM   #36
128Styll
Colosseum Chariot Driving Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow '12 128i

Quote:
I meant with the LSD the car car will understeer more without the m3 control arms or camber plate. I'll start with just the m3 front control arms and see if I even need anymore front camber before getting the plates
Did you ever end up adding the Dinan plates too?
Appreciate 0