BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Testing of ABS Speed Sensors

Per some of my other threads, I’ve had terrible issues with ABS faults, and specifically sensors.

I tried to diagnose my right front (the current one throwing a code), and cannot get a value. I tried one of the ones I pulled, thinking maybe they weren’t bad. Nothing. So then ai went to a corner that was good - still no reading.

Using a good quality fluke meter, good leads and know I’m in contact with the pins in the sensor harness.

Is there an SOP for testing these? Thought you use an ohmmeter and were supposed to see something like 1000 or 1400 Ohms, May be wrong though.

Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

I don't have the answers you are looking for, but did want to recommend you try to swap out the battery. Dying batteries cause some of the weirdest issues, doesn't hurt to check.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #3
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Per some of my other threads, I’ve had terrible issues with ABS faults, and specifically sensors.

I tried to diagnose my right front (the current one throwing a code), and cannot get a value. I tried one of the ones I pulled, thinking maybe they weren’t bad. Nothing. So then ai went to a corner that was good - still no reading.

Using a good quality fluke meter, good leads and know I’m in contact with the pins in the sensor harness.

Is there an SOP for testing these? Thought you use an ohmmeter and were supposed to see something like 1000 or 1400 Ohms, May be wrong though.

Anyone know?

You can't use a multimeter add the refresh rate isn't high enough.

You'll need a frequency generator and oscilloscope.
Wheel speed sensors generally use pulse width modulation.

It's pretty hard to test manually without the right tools.

I haven't looked at the BMW sensors specifically, but is there an encoder ring too? Looks like a mini disc rotor full of holes.
If so, perhaps that is dirty?

What error is it throwing?
Can you try interchanging a working one for that same position that is throwing a fault?
That way you can see if the fault follows the sensor or if it's the DSC ECU instead.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      09-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

From what I understand there is an encoder and they do get dirty. But you would need to measure frequency as mentioned above as its a high PWM range it's looking in.

I haven't looked for any specs on what the frequency is....but I would check the encoder. I think they call it a reluctor ring.
      09-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

I doubt these are VR sensors (variable reluctance). They're probably hall effect sensors.

These sensors switch very fast. If you're passing a ferrous object over the tip, your multimeter may not pick it up. Some are pulse type and have a pulse anywhere from 30 us to 300 us (this is cars in general). Others output the "gear" profile that they pass over in square wave form. So you should see a high and low voltage output depending on what you pass in front of the sensor.

So if you power it correctly, and hook up a correct load circuit you can test it (need a pull up or down resistor + maybe a 5VDC and 12VDC source). But you are probably not doing that. Chances are if the computer is giving an error for a particular wheel sensor, it is the sensor itself. Just replace it and stop wasting your time. If you insist on testing, then just swap two of the sensors around and see if the error follows (just like testing a coil pack for misfiring).

I literally just left a job and an engineer from the past 7 years where we made millions of cam, crank, and transmission speed sensors a year.
      09-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You will need a scan tool to see the wheel speed values.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
If the problem is in the rear, check the tone ring on the CV joint for rust. I've seen them rust to the point that it breaks the tone ring itself or fills in the gap that the sensor is supposed to read. Hope this helps...just realized you said the problem was in the front, sorry. Still good info for future reference i guess?
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...

Last edited by Southjersey128; 09-17-2019 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0