BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-15-2021, 06:30 AM   #1
alindquist
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

Brake pedal feel. Soft?

How is your brake pedal?

No matter how I bleed and what I do I can't get the pedal getting as stiff as I want, it's a bit soft and has way to long travel. I bleed it with INPA.

My 135I is more or less a track car, current setup is:

Stainless pistons both front and rear.
Braided lines.
RBF660 Fluid.
Pagid RSL29 pads both front and rear.

All brake / saftey nonsens programmed off.
The pedal feel got way better after I programmed it, but still crap. Way to bad to trust it fully on track.

Do you feel the same?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I'm quite sure you know the obvious things - a chance you didn't get the air out, or an actual master cylinder issue of some sort. After that... Do you have an opportunity to drive other 135i's for comparison? There's a chance your pedal is as good as it can get with the car and it just doesn't meet your expectations?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
alindquist
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I'm quite sure you know the obvious things - a chance you didn't get the air out, or an actual master cylinder issue of some sort. After that... Do you have an opportunity to drive other 135i's for comparison? There's a chance your pedal is as good as it can get with the car and it just doesn't meet your expectations?
Yeah, but it's good that you mention it. I've tried bleeded the system in various ways, and several times and it doesn't help.
I've been thinking of the master cylinder, maby swap it for a m3 one.

When the car is turned off, the pedal is as stiff as I want it. But asap I start it, it gets softer and when I press is really hard it sinks slowly slowly...

Yes, that's a fact. I don't know if this actually is a "good" pedal feel in this platform.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

If it's a track car, are there not many others at the track who could offer advice too? I use a pressure bleeder and have never had a problem. About 250-300 ml out of each rear, 150 out of right front and 100ml out of left front.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #5
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

So if feel with no vacuum assist is what you like, just reduce the vacuum assist with a restrictor.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
mindspin311
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

If the pedal initially gets hard, then sinks as you maintain that pedal pressure, then most likely your master cylinder is failing. No need to upgrade, just replace.
Appreciate 1
amg6975497.00
      12-22-2021, 09:43 PM   #7
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
If the pedal initially gets hard, then sinks as you maintain that pedal pressure, then most likely your master cylinder is failing. No need to upgrade, just replace.
While I agree this is true in some cases, for me (128i with performance brakes and at the time, 40k miles), I complained about a dropping brake pedal under constant pressure as well as some 'mushiness'. Both the dealership and my indy said 'normal operation'. It wasn't until I had the indy replace rotors and pads on all 4 corners that things improved. The solution? Bleeding the ABS sensor. I'm going to speculate that, when the perf. brakes were installed by the prior owner and by 'professional mechanics', enough air was introduced to get to the ABS unit. Bleeding that, with the calipers, made a difference!

Good luck solving this.
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:32 PM   #8
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

EDIT: nevermind just re-read your post and noticed you said it was bled with INPA.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 09:29 PM   #9
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

How did you bleed the brakes? The best way is the traditional 2 person method. This method more aggressively forces fluid through the system and helps drive out air bubbles.

I bled my wifes car ( Volso S70) my 3 times via the vacuum method and the pressure method and still had a soft pedal. Then I grabbed the wife and did it the normal way and sure enough a bunch of air came out and the pedal was firm again.
Appreciate 1
amg6975497.00
      03-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #10
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
So if feel with no vacuum assist is what you like, just reduce the vacuum assist with a restrictor.
Would you be kind enough to detail your suggestion of adding a vacuum restrictor?

I had my brakes bled recently, and the pedal is mushy again, not like it was immediately after the installation of new rotors and EBC red stuff pads a couple years ago. The explanation I received had to do with losing vacuum (there is a vacuum pump instead of running vacuum off the intake?). Whatever the explanation is, why do the brakes feel different after a bleed? The tech said he'd rebleed the brakes if I wanted (I went through this many times prior to the new brakes a couple years ago) but that, in his opinion, they were quite fine and no air in system.
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 10:32 AM   #11
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I have a 128i that I track often and I've struggled with a consistent firm pedal.

Here's my setup
-stock calipers w/ blank rotors
-Stainless Steel brake lines (I noticed zero difference after installing these, not even placebo)
-DTC70 pads front and rear
-high temp RBF fluid

At a 3 day event Watkins Glen, I was struggling with a soft pedal a few laps in. On the second day I finally decided to have the shop at the track put new fluid in my car midday and it definitely helped, but not enough. The pedal would be pretty soft going into turn 1 and also the brake zone before the bus stop, but after that there's a long sweeping turn where my brakes had a chance to cool. In the next brake zone I had a significantly firmer pedal. My thoughts are the brakes are just getting too hot. I'm upgrading to 335i fronts and 328i rears to see how this helps out. The stock 128i brakes don't have a lot of thermal capacity. Is there any instance on track where the brakes actually feel good? Are they firm for at least a lap or two?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 10:40 AM   #12
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alindquist View Post
How is your brake pedal?

No matter how I bleed and what I do I can't get the pedal getting as stiff as I want, it's a bit soft and has way to long travel. I bleed it with INPA.

My 135I is more or less a track car, current setup is:

Stainless pistons both front and rear.
Braided lines.
RBF660 Fluid.
Pagid RSL29 pads both front and rear.

All brake / saftey nonsens programmed off.
The pedal feel got way better after I programmed it, but still crap. Way to bad to trust it fully on track.

Do you feel the same?
Also, stumbled across this just now, some great info in there:
https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog...n-my-track-car
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

At a shop environment the Steirius has been the greatest electric bleeder with 10 liters of capacity. No issues for 17+ years. With so many requests for different brake fluids the Mityvac MV6840 has yield years of trouble free service and very affordable. You will not run out of fluid with this one, even when trying to flush the ABS/DSC system. If used daily, the hose will need to be replaced every 6 months.

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV684...&creative=9325
Appreciate 0