BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #45
BimmerBoi2100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
There is a big difference between the cars you mentioned and the cars I am talking about. I am talking about the mid-luxury segment with premium brands. VW and Mazda are not premium brands. Hell my Nissan Altima SE-R came stock with leather and Xenon. There is a HUGE difference between xenon lights and your beige interior issue. The Mazda 6 and Mitsubishi Galant are not luxury automobiles so it's of course no surprise that you would have to pay extra for the luxury items (as for the lack of color choices... what can I say... it's a Mazda, a company that has been struggling for roughly 10 years just to stay alive). Take this for example... My girlfriend just bought an Infiniti FX35. Standard options were leather, xenon, sunroof, heated seats, intelligent key, etc. I didn't think anything of it until I went to BMW and discovered that getting those options that came standard on her car would cost me north of $8,000 to add to a 3 series. Oh and let's not mention paint... that's got to be the biggest scam going. Is this 1925?
Realize that you're getting f*cked any which way you look at it. The question is would you rather get f*cked and not know about it? Or would you rather get f*cked and know about it. Anytime you buy a new car you get f*cked. All these companies are f*ckng us and we gladly accept it so please.....shut up and color.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #46
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoi2100 View Post
Realize that you're getting f*cked any which way you look at it. The question is would you rather get f*cked and not know about it? Or would you rather get f*cked and know about it. Anytime you buy a new car you get f*cked. All these companies are f*ckng us and we gladly accept it so please.....shut up and color.
I'm well aware that you always get nailed in buying a new car... I've done this about a dozen times in the past 10 years so this "ain't my first rodeo." My gripe is basically that these cars (mainly the 3 series) should come standard with leather and xenon just as every other car in their class does. Yeah sure, the BMW is the ultimate driving machine but they're a little behind the 8 ball when it comes to standard equipment. When evenly equipped they are far more costly than any other car in the class. Shut up and color? I'm not even sure what that means but I've been in this game for quite some time and bought countless cars and none of them have been BMW's up to this point because I do think it's a little crazy to have certain features still be options in a $40K+ car when every other comparably priced car offers them as standard. As for paint, I know almost every car charges for it but I still think it's BS.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #47
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. In general the Japanese luxury brands include more standard features than the Germans do. Including these features standard makes manufacturing easier and generally decreases costs, part of which is passed on to the consumer.

The markup on options is pretty high and the German companies use it to increase their profits. I understand that not everyone wants a car loaded, but when you buy a premium car their are certain expectations.

I think that charging a premium for metallic paint is a little silly. The standard leatherette doesn't bother me as much, but I do wish that the standard content was a little higher on the German brands. Check out the Audi RS8... You have to pay extra to have the side panels colored the same as the rest of the car and this car is over $100K (if you can get one).

Don't get me wrong, I think that BMW makes some of the best driving cars in the world. But that said, I don't exactly love their pricing strategy. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #48
BimmerBoi2100
Private First Class
Rep

You guys aren't seeing that you pay for these things regardless of how they are presented to you either as an option or standard equipment. They are going to get their money.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #49
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You guys aren't seeing that you pay for these things regardless of how they are presented to you either as an option or standard equipment. They are going to get their money.
Oh, I think that we understand that it's not free if it's included as a standard feature. The argument is that it's generally cheaper if the feature is included from the get-go as opposed to adding the feature as an option.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #50
bimmer_fan
SF KREW
Rep
Drives:

i expect a fully loaded 135i to be in the low $40k
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #51
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_fan View Post
i expect a fully loaded 135i to be in the low $40k
Before or after tax?
      09-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #52
bimmer_fan
SF KREW
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Before or after tax?
i say at most $44k out the door....so after tax
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 04:28 AM   #53
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

yea even if a base 1er MSRP at 35k, all the options are gonna rack up. and it's gonna be at the exact range as the G37S. Coincidence? i think not.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #54
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. In general the Japanese luxury brands include more standard features than the Germans do. Including these features standard makes manufacturing easier and generally decreases costs, part of which is passed on to the consumer.

The markup on options is pretty high and the German companies use it to increase their profits. I understand that not everyone wants a car loaded, but when you buy a premium car their are certain expectations.

I think that charging a premium for metallic paint is a little silly. The standard leatherette doesn't bother me as much, but I do wish that the standard content was a little higher on the German brands. Check out the Audi RS8... You have to pay extra to have the side panels colored the same as the rest of the car and this car is over $100K (if you can get one).

Don't get me wrong, I think that BMW makes some of the best driving cars in the world. But that said, I don't exactly love their pricing strategy. YMMV.
Well put.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 07:55 AM   #55
BimmerBoi2100
Private First Class
Rep

Are there any enthusiasts left? TOO much complaining going on. Why even consider purchasing a german care ifyou have these beefs? It sound to me like you like japanese vehicle more(which isn't bad). This is 1ADDICTS not 1ILIKEJAPANESECARSMORE. You come to these boards to embrace the car. Not complain about options. A true enthusiast already knows what they're dealing with and would glady deal with it. You see the car you and already know the options will not be cheap. So what is there to complain about? Either you are a go or a no go.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #56
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Are there any enthusiasts left? TOO much complaining going on. Why even consider purchasing a german care ifyou have these beefs? It sound to me like you like japanese vehicle more(which isn't bad). This is 1ADDICTS not 1ILIKEJAPANESECARSMORE. You come to these boards to embrace the car. Not complain about options. A true enthusiast already knows what they're dealing with and would glady deal with it. You see the car you and already know the options will not be cheap. So what is there to complain about? Either you are a go or a no go.
There's nothing that annoys you about your girlfriend or wife? I loved my Lotus but British cars are hardly known for their fine craftsmanship. I have complained about one thing... pricing practices. It's not specific to BMW but is common throughout the industry and I don't like it. A true enthusiasts loves the car but certainly doesn't have to love the company or the cost. I don't think this site is 1ILOVEBMWUNCONDITIONALLY either. I was only speaking of the standard features that are offered and compared them to comparably priced Japanese makes, I never said I flat out like them better. It's not all or nothing (wow, you really sound like Bush...) "You're either with us or against us." Must be nice to go through life blindly accepting everything BMW does. Sounds pretty naive.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #57
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
100%

I don't accept everything BMW does...but compared to every brand out there that's in competition with it....BMW is the winner.
Little things like the metallic paint premium charge is sort of bothersome-
but who says you have to get it?

And as for the 1-er....there's nothing else out there like it. What are all the complaints about when we don't even know the price?

Speaking of the 1-er I think it's up next for debut showcase at Frankfurt.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #58
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
100%

I don't accept everything BMW does...but compared to every brand out there that's in competition with it....BMW is the winner.
Little things like the metallic paint premium charge is sort of bothersome-
but who says you have to get it?
Isn't that what I've said? I don't see where the confusion is. I'm saying the exact same thing you are and now I'm being told I'm not an enthusiast?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #59
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
      09-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #60
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Isn't that what I've said? I don't see where the confusion is. I'm saying the exact same thing you are and now I'm being told I'm not an enthusiast?
I think that most of us here are enthusiasts, but the long wait for solid information on the 1er has provided us more than ample time to find things to complain about.

BMWs are not bargains. You have to pay to play. Yada yada yada. We get it. But frankly cost and value do come into play for most people and it's not unreasonable to question things. :wink:

Anyway, thank goodness that the 1er will be unveiled at Frankfurt today. We'll have more interesting things to talk about. :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #61
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post

Anyway, thank goodness that the 1er will be unveiled at Frankfurt today. We'll have more interesting things to talk about. :roundel:
We hope...King of Jericho, sorry if there were any misunderstandings...I think some of these past posts have been a search for clarity rather than taking sides. Seems there will always be minor kerfuffles going on which is usually just spirited conversation and exchange of ideas.

I thought we'd be seeing 1-er debut right about now? Is it to be launched on a different day? Now I'm confused. We should be knee-deep in an avalanche of info and official new pics.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #62
Brookside
Major
Rep

1-er UP! INTRODUCED RIGHT NOW
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #63
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought we'd be seeing 1-er debut right about now? Is it to be launched on a different day? Now I'm confused. We should be knee-deep in an avalanche of info and official new pics.
The Frankfurt attendees have evidently been enchanted by the 1er and we unfortunately are mere afterthoughts. Hopefully the folks back home will be remembered eventually. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #64
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1-er UP! INTRODUCED RIGHT NOW
We need a live video feed to the web!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 11:07 AM   #65
BimmerBoi2100
Private First Class
Rep

Just seemed like a lot of negativity towards the car. We are all here(I hope) because we like the car. It's pointless to complain when we all know that if we decide to purchase the 1-er we are going to spend 30k at least. If you don't like the options don't get them.

So anyway did anybody see Britney Spears fat ass on MTV? I almost felt sorry for her....
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #66
imported_wizalex
Rep
Drives:

Enthusiast?

Guys, one thing you are all forgetting here. If you're talking about driving, and really being an enthusiast, then you aren't going to get a fully loaded car! In my mind that is a great explanation of why everything is an option on German cars that are meant for an enthusiast market. Want to get a sunroof? It is an option on a BMW, not "standard" like on other "premium" cars! Because it adds weight (sunroof motors, etc.) and lowers the rigidity of the car. There might be some true enthusiasts on this board that would WISH that AC was an option, not standard, as well. Do you get my drift? Lexuses (sp?) or Infinities or Acuras come near fully loaded as standard because the people that drive them and want those features are NOT driving enthusiasts. How many effing Acuras have you seen on a road coarse? Correct, 0, especially stock. How many 135i/335i will you see on the track, even stock? MANY, including mine! F*ck, I'll even auto-X mine!

What we all want to know is the d*mn base price, hopefully this week. Then you can all do whatever you want.
--Alex
Appreciate 0