BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #23
pinksnyper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman11 View Post
1st post....was also thinking of going with a bare bones 128. Whats the cost of the sports package (seats included)?
$1200. Includes upgraded suspension, sport seats, different wheels, different tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #24
Sandman11
Rep
Drives:

seems as tho my question has already been answered and with the heated seats I'm looking at around 31...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #25
gocal73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

One More Time, Get the Sports Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksnyper View Post
I really don't get the whole enthusiasm about the sport package. I understand some people prefer the sport seats, but for the everyday driver who won't be going up and down the curves of the countryside does it really matter to get the sport suspension and wheel setup? I think its bothersome to have wheels you can't rotate (one size in front, another in rear) properly, especially if you're going to make the 128 your daily driver. The suspension stock is plenty stiff for my needs, which of course is on-ramps and off-ramps...and nothing really else.

Anyone wanna chime in and change my mind?
You might notice that many of us who urge others to get the Sports Package own/drive BMW's. Some of us have for a long time. Some of us learned the hard way that the Sports Package is a MUST on any BMW. We're just trying to help you out with some sound advice. I wish I had bought the 325is e30 instead of the 325i e30. I ended up spending 3 times the cost difference upgrading the 325i's suspension, tires and wheels just to get it to where it could hang with the stock 325is. I will never make that mistake again! I learned the hard way. Both of my other BMW's are Sport Package cars.
The Sports Package has the stuff BMW should have included as standard for a Sports Coupe, but they want to make a few more bucks selling it to you as a package option (BMW's are expensive, there's no way around that fact). The Sport Seats are vastly superior to the standard seats even if you are just driving around town or down the freeway. Purchasing just one aftermarket seat of this quality will cost you more than the price of the whole package. I have seen people shy away from the sports seats because they are "big boned" and the seats are too restrictive. Well, I have a 44" waist and I fit the sports seats just fine. Go test drive both seats and see for yourself. As for the Sport Suspension, it is not stiff but it really helps handling including in those instances were accident avoidance can save your life! The sport suspension is really great in the mountains, too. The main advantage is increased control of the car. Then there is the the improved wheels and tires. Can't rotate them as you'd like, but hey I'd rather have the improved handling and safety they bring to the table. The blacked out trim is all about personal preference, but I like it alot. Then there is one more big reason for getting the Sports Package - resale value. Check it out for yourself. Go to Edmunds or one of those other sites and spec out a used 3 series for example. You do get some of your $1200 back when you sell the car. Plus, it's easier to sell a sports pack BMW.
Trust us on this, the Sports Package is a bargain at $1200 and it adds both value, safety and driving enjoyment to your BMW regardless of how mundane your daily commute may be.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #26
Sandman11
Rep
Drives:

^^^^^^^^
Thats a great post, thanks for that info. Only thing I'm curious about is the wheels. I did wanna change to aftermarket wheels. Since I'm such a noob with this, I can still put the same sized wheels on all 4 right? The sport package just comes with the staggered set?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #27
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocal73 View Post
You might notice that many of us who urge others to get the Sports Package own/drive BMW's. Some of us have for a long time. Some of us learned the hard way that the Sports Package is a MUST on any BMW. We're just trying to help you out with some sound advice. I wish I had bought the 325is e30 instead of the 325i e30. I ended up spending 3 times the cost difference upgrading the 325i's suspension, tires and wheels just to get it to where it could hang with the stock 325is. I will never make that mistake again! I learned the hard way. Both of my other BMW's are Sport Package cars.
The Sports Package has the stuff BMW should have included as standard for a Sports Coupe, but they want to make a few more bucks selling it to you as a package option (BMW's are expensive, there's no way around that fact). The Sport Seats are vastly superior to the standard seats even if you are just driving around town or down the freeway. Purchasing just one aftermarket seat of this quality will cost you more than the price of the whole package. I have seen people shy away from the sports seats because they are "big boned" and the seats are too restrictive. Well, I have a 44" waist and I fit the sports seats just fine. Go test drive both seats and see for yourself. As for the Sport Suspension, it is not stiff but it really helps handling including in those instances were accident avoidance can save your life! The sport suspension is really great in the mountains, too. The main advantage is increased control of the car. Then there is the the improved wheels and tires. Can't rotate them as you'd like, but hey I'd rather have the improved handling and safety they bring to the table. The blacked out trim is all about personal preference, but I like it alot. Then there is one more big reason for getting the Sports Package - resale value. Check it out for yourself. Go to Edmunds or one of those other sites and spec out a used 3 series for example. You do get some of your $1200 back when you sell the car. Plus, it's easier to sell a sports pack BMW.
Trust us on this, the Sports Package is a bargain at $1200 and it adds both value, safety and driving enjoyment to your BMW regardless of how mundane your daily commute may be.
In terms of the 128 I agree, however in terms of the 135, I disagree. The 135 comes with the sport suspension, and as far as I am concerned, the regular seats are just fine with me. I cant justify spending $1000 on seats, especially seats I find less comfortable then the standard seats, especially since I do not plan on tracking the car.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #28
pinksnyper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Good post, thanks for your response. I should test drive one with a sport package before making up my mind for sure
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #29
128iDawg
Rep
Drives:

Man I can't wait to get a stripper in my 128i...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #30
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

^^ Put a call into the Governor, errr ex-Governor, Spitzer that is . . . ; -)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #31
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewpac View Post
In terms of the 128 I agree, however in terms of the 135, I disagree. The 135 comes with the sport suspension, and as far as I am concerned, the regular seats are just fine with me. I cant justify spending $1000 on seats, especially seats I find less comfortable then the standard seats, especially since I do not plan on tracking the car.
It's really too bad the US doesn't get the same sports pack as the rest of the universe. Canada gets the style 261 18" wheels, sport seats, anthrasite headliner, M/// knob and wheel and shadowline for $1,600. Sport seats alone are worth it, but the car is noticably more aggressive looking inside and out with the whole package. I'm not likely to get the 135i, but the M sport package would be a must were I to go that route... My 128i will definitely have the sport pack.
      03-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #32
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
It's really too bad the US doesn't get the same sports pack as the rest of the universe. Canada gets the style 261 18" wheels, sport seats, anthrasite headliner, M/// knob and wheel and shadowline for $1,600. Sport seats alone are worth it, but the car is noticably more aggressive looking inside and out with the whole package. I'm not likely to get the 135i, but the M sport package would be a must were I to go that route... My 128i will definitely have the sport pack.
If we got all that stuff it would be worth it, but I personally do not like the sport seats, so for me it would be a waste of 1K.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #33
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

EVERY BMW should have the sports package. Its a sports car. WTF. GEEZE.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #34
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
EVERY BMW should have the sports package. Its a sports car. WTF. GEEZE.
Then why don't they include it with the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 01:46 AM   #35
gocal73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

BMW Knows How to Make...

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoreality15 View Post
Then why don't they include it with the car?
M.O.N.E.Y!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 01:50 AM   #36
gocal73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Dude, Are you buying a 129i or a 135i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewpac View Post
If we got all that stuff it would be worth it, but I personally do not like the sport seats, so for me it would be a waste of 1K.
The sport package is a MUST on the 128i - that's what this thread is about, the 128i. Aren't you getting an AW 135i? The sport suspension is standard on the 135i, but not the 128i. If you like those hideous standard seats, then all I can say is better you than me.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #37
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Sports package is a must on a BMW. If you want a luxury cruiser get a Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #38
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

If only you could get the giant steering wheel from the 135i ZSP package on the 128i.

Sadly the 128i's ZSP includes the stock wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #39
Jackdaws
Private
Rep
Drives:

I own 128i with sports package. With better wheels, tires, seats, suspension, handling and same top speed as a 135i, you simply must get sports package on 128i. This car is a blast to drive even without 135i turbo, and $thousands less! The more toys on the car, like power seats, the more weight and stuff to break later. Keep it simple and laugh all the way to the bank. I did splurge on sirius satellite and gray poplar trim, but love them. And in most forums, BMW owners prefer BMW leatherette to real leather. Do not buy this car without sports package! Hey, if you wanted to follow the bored luxury lemmings, you'd get a Lexus!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #40
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksnyper View Post
Good post, thanks for your response. I should test drive one with a sport package before making up my mind for sure
Good idea. Those who say "all BMWs need the sport package" might want to suffer the harsh ride of my non-SP Z4 on the typical potholed roads in the east.
Having some back problems, I was planning on not getting the SP on my 128i, but after test driving both I was persuaded to spend the extra bucks. The handling is greatly improved - but the ride deteriorates very little. And the adjustable bolsters make the seats even better. I just wish that it came with 225/45R17" tires on the front as well as the rear to provide a better selection of repacement rubber when the time comes.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #41
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

hmmm... where does it say that the sports package comes with different wheels front and back???? It's the first time I see that...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #42
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Stripped is fine. BUT GET THE SPORT PACKAGE !!!!! A MUST PERIOD !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #43
1050Wien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrgrl View Post
hmmm... where does it say that the sports package comes with different wheels front and back???? It's the first time I see that...
Here...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #44
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1050Wien View Post
Here...
thanks... any way of getting the same tires all over? either when ordering or aftermarket?

otherwise how do you deal with not being able to rotate them? I've never had different tires so I am not sure what this implies in terms of wear/maintenance
Appreciate 0