BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
johnfromcalgary
Registered
Rep
Drives:

How well is the 1 selling in Canada?

Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I used to lurk while I was considering a 1-series, but balked at the price. I decided to go with a '09 Corolla S for a couple years until I can afford what I really want: an A5.

Anyways, I was recently at the RCGA golf centre in Calgary which is right beside an overflow lot for the nearby BMW dealership. I was very suprised to walk by and see AT LEAST two dozen 1-series. Since I could only see them from the side (they were in two long rows), I couldn't tell if they were mostly 128's or 135's. I also can't recall how many were softtops versus coupes.

I was quite suprised to see this since I thought everyone getting a 1-series these days were waiting for delivery. At least now you know that if you want one in Calgary, there appear to be lots availble.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromcalgary View Post
At least now you know that if you want one in Calgary, there appear to be lots availble.
I think most people on this site, because of the larger number of enthusiasts, ordered their vehicles to get exactly what they wanted....

I'm sure that there is some stock around, but I'd imagine most of those vehicles are spoken for.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

OP:
Yah when I went to pick mine up there were about 8 10 1er sitting where mine was - almost all sold.
So just because you see them, doesn't mean they're available.
BTW, the Corrolla is a good starter. Good luck.
      06-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

johnfromcalgary:

I hear ya. I think Corolla S 2009 is a great car! I just came from driving 2 Corolla's back to back for the last 12 years. First one was amazing 5 years! Second was 7 years. Second was the sport. I went for it cause I could get the alloy rims and still manual.

I want to make two points. Staying with what you can afford over rides everything. Corolla is a super choice!!!! 7 years and I did zero big repairs. ZERO. I just drove and drove and drove. 2 sets of tires though. Don't go cheap on tires. Safety first!

BMW 1 series is not really just a car. It's a hmmm I hate to say "toy/art/luxury"... but it's much more than just a "point-A-to-point-B" car. It is super fun, balanced, rear wheel, sheer BMW pleasure at it's best. (Entrylevel??? lol)

If I were to compare to food, which is what I know well...

Corolla is a good home cooked balanced family meal.

BMW 135i is a meal cooked by the likes of Ron Siegel who is the Chef of Ritz Carlton San Fran. (best meal to date I have eaten bar none!) He is also the first American Chef to beat the famous Iron Chef TV show in the 90's. He even came out to say hi and he really did cook that night too! (food stains on his uniform, and looked exausted) Maybe next time I eat there, Chris Bangle will be at another table.

That is my comparison. But I respect you on your decision. It's a good one. If you do get tired of the Corolla, consider buying a used BMW. Looking back I think that might have also been in the works. It's just that the Corolla is that good.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 02:32 AM   #5
Vancity1
Private
Rep
Drives:

awesome post espresso. What you saw john was probably the delivery of the latest round from Germany and I would guess most are spoken for.

When I went around in Vancouver to find my 1 I found a grand total of 4 that I could buy right away. This was visiting 3 different dealerships. The good news is 1 of them was the exact package I was looking for and I managed to talk 2k off the sticker.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 02:34 AM   #6
Vancity1
Private
Rep
Drives:

As a note it's worth every penny if you can afford it. A family friend owns a z8 and ford gt, both of which I've driven and I can say I'm far happier with my 1. For the money this is the best car on the road bar none in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

It is a shame that we pay 10-30% more than USA for almost the same thing. I just hope now that I have paid 30% more BMW Canada does not lower the price on me. Well not that it really matters, I plan to keep this car for a 100 years!

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0