BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quick question for you 1m owners about your fenders

just have a question - do any of you know how much wider your factory fenders are compared to factory 135i (E82 in general) fenders

i have all the track width specs, and wheel specs, but am trying to work out what the widest/most aggressive wheel you can fit in under them based on what everyone else here has done?

most of you seem to struggle to fit **x10" ET25's with 265's .. any bigger and you still scrub on the inner of the fender liner (on turning, due to the out of corner moving in more as i understand it?.. and removing the fender liner won't help since there's an oil cooler there anyway...).. and you can't go lower offset to help anything? plus, any lower offset means you poke, right? - if 10" ET25 is already poking out of the fender, that would make them about 1.3 inches wider than the factory 135i fenders

is this about right? 1.3 inches?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Not sure if wheel/tire combos would be the best way to compare fender widths. There are many other factors that go into making a wheel/tire combo "fit" such as alignment and the specific tire being used. With the right alignment specs I believe the more aggressive setups being used are 18x10et25 w/ a 275/35 tire in the front, the rear has a little more room to play with.

I use the word "fit" somewhat loosely also as individuals tolerances of rubbing etc. are different. My stock front wheel/tire rubbed the inner fender until I had the dealership install the updated liners, now I am rub free. About to fit my new setup, which will be a nice improvement but nothing too extreme. I went with 18x9.5et22 w/ a 265/35 in the front and a 18x10.5et27 with a 285/35. Tires are the Hankook RS3. This is a pretty popular setup around here, I am told it shouldn't rub at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Not sure if wheel/tire combos would be the best way to compare fender widths. There are many other factors that go into making a wheel/tire combo "fit" such as alignment and the specific tire being used. With the right alignment specs I believe the more aggressive setups being used are 18x10et25 w/ a 275/35 tire in the front, the rear has a little more room to play with.

I use the word "fit" somewhat loosely also as individuals tolerances of rubbing etc. are different. My stock front wheel/tire rubbed the inner fender until I had the dealership install the updated liners, now I am rub free. About to fit my new setup, which will be a nice improvement but nothing too extreme. I went with 18x9.5et22 w/ a 265/35 in the front and a 18x10.5et27 with a 285/35. Tires are the Hankook RS3. This is a pretty popular setup around here, I am told it shouldn't rub at all.

what exactly is the 'rub' issue, a part on the front or rear was too close to the tire?

most of the scrub is when turning the wheel and the corner contacts the FRONT of the guard liner, correct?

would be nice if you could fit in larger than 265/275, though 275 is pretty decent!

ED: though yeah, i understand different tires will have different shapes, however, a wheel of certain width and offset will have basically the same dimensions as another, and i'm working it out on a 'worst case' square tire, so any rounder is just a bonus.

Last edited by flinchy; 04-05-2013 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
what exactly is the 'rub' issue, a part on the front or rear was too close to the tire?

most of the scrub is when turning the wheel and the corner contacts the FRONT of the guard liner, correct?

would be nice if you could fit in larger than 265/275, though 275 is pretty decent!

ED: though yeah, i understand different tires will have different shapes, however, a wheel of certain width and offset will have basically the same dimensions as another, and i'm working it out on a 'worst case' square tire, so any rounder is just a bonus.
The rubbing occurred when nearing full lock, or at full lock. The tire came in contact with the liner near the oil cooler vent. Upon inspection with my service assistant I believe it was just a poor, hasty design of the fender liner.

I think if you want to have something "flush" with the fender, and not poking out from the wheel well I think 275 is going to be your max up front, and to get that looking flush will take a decent amount of camber.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
The rubbing occurred when nearing full lock, or at full lock. The tire came in contact with the liner near the oil cooler vent. Upon inspection with my service assistant I believe it was just a poor, hasty design of the fender liner.

I think if you want to have something "flush" with the fender, and not poking out from the wheel well I think 275 is going to be your max up front, and to get that looking flush will take a decent amount of camber.
so i take it the 'revised' fender liner SHOULD fix that issue?

really? so even a 275 won't be INSIDE the fender without camber? a lot of effort for 30mm more rubber (albeit sitting WAY further out)

hrm :/
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
so i take it the 'revised' fender liner SHOULD fix that issue?

really? so even a 275 won't be INSIDE the fender without camber? a lot of effort for 30mm more rubber (albeit sitting WAY further out)

hrm :/
275 is a lot for the front of any car. We are talking about front fitment. Rears will fit easy and perfect with 295s, more seems possible too. So I agree with Icrain's posts.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0