BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
10M3
Private
Rep
Drives: .

PS4S vs CUP 2's + Tire Size Question

Hello everyone,

My name is Anton, and just before winter I picked up a pristine 1M from the original owner. All I had time for was one quick test drive and a wash before the snow came down. The car has been in the garage since. It only has 3k on it.

I need to replace the tires, the originals are still on it (crazy!).

I understand that the original tire size is
F - 245/35/19
R - 265/35/19
The recommended tires are: MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S

Since this car won't see wet roads, I was hoping to switch the tires to MICHELIN PILOT SPORT CUP 2's.

And maybe a slightly more aggressive set-up, such as:
F - 255/35/19
R - 275/35/19

The car does not have any suspension modifications. Therefore, I am hoping there will be no rubbing issues with the slightly bigger size. I ran these tires on my GT4 and loved them - super grippy!

Is anyone running these on their 1M and has an input?

Is anyone running this tire size on stock suspension, any input on that?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #2
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10M3 View Post
Hello everyone,

My name is Anton, and just before winter I picked up a pristine 1M from the original owner. All I had time for was one quick test drive and a wash before the snow came down. The car has been in the garage since. It only has 3k on it.

F - 245/35/19
R - 265/35/19

Since this car won't see wet roads, I was hoping to switch the tires to MICHELIN PILOT SPORT CUP 2's.

F - 255/35/19
R - 275/35/19

The car does not have any suspension modifications. Therefore, I am hoping there will be no rubbing issues with the slightly bigger size. I ran these tires on my GT4 and loved them - super grippy!

Thank you!
Should have no/ minimal problem with bigger size—I have Conti ECS in that size;would be leery of Cups for street because pick up everything like the gum they are and stick TOO well for fun on street IMHO
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
10M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
Should have no/ minimal problem with bigger size—I have Conti ECS in that size;would be leery of Cups for street because pick up everything like the gum they are and stick TOO well for fun on street IMHO
Thank you!

So no issues when it comes to rubbing or anything that sort? Not hitting the fender liner?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Hello everyone,

F - 245/35/19
R - 265/35/19

F - 255/35/19
R - 275/35/19

Thank you!
The bigger rubber is slightly heavier and bigger rolling diameter. Car might feel a little slower. Also I had stock size Sport Cup 1s and they took a bit to warm up. The Suoersports were better cold. Once Sport cup warmed up they were great. Maybe Sport Cup 2 better warm but FYI these track type tires can get you in trouble cold.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #5
1M Tex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, AW,

I have been running those sizes for 110,000 miles with no issues. PS4 since available.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
10M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The bigger rubber is slightly heavier and bigger rolling diameter. Car might feel a little slower. Also I had stock size Sport Cup 1s and they took a bit to warm up. The Suoersports were better cold. Once Sport cup warmed up they were great. Maybe Sport Cup 2 better warm but FYI these track type tires can get you in trouble cold.
Thank you. Yep all summer/performance tires need warming up and should not be driven in cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
10M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Tex View Post
I have been running those sizes for 110,000 miles with no issues. PS4 since available.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. Yep all summer/performance tires need warming up and should not be driven in cold weather.
I think you misunderstood me. The MPSS are performance summer tires that work better when warmed up a little. The Sport Cup is a competition tire not a summer performance tire. It sounds like you are classifying them both the same. They are not. The Sport Cup can be downright slick when not warmed up. And I don't mean snow weather. I autocrossed my stock size Sport cups in San Diego at 78 degrees temp and I spun out after the checkered flag the first time out. In the middle of the second run they began to hook up. So no they are not both summer performance tires. The Sport Cup2 might be better now but just driving on them in nice weather does not warm them up enough if you decide to unleash the beast. Whereas the summer performance tire hooks up better after just driving around town. If you look at tire rack the Sport is listed as a streetable competition tire.

It sort of came across as "yes I know that" but you consider them the same type of tire. I had the same thing happen to me when I picked up my 1M and visited with the head of M Marketing Europe at the M design center in Garching. I told him I was going straight to Nurburgring in my 1M. He told me don't turn off traction control until you have spent a bit of seat
Time. I answered him exactly like you just did. Yes, I know. Obvious.

He looked at me seriously and said listen to me, I'm serious, don't turn traction control off right away.

But then my wife wanted to go to Venice so we scrapped the Ring. After break in I took it out to my first autocross in it and immediately turned everything off as I had done over 20 years of autocrossimg and after some serious embarrassment and fixing about 8 cones I understood why he was so adamant. I am convinced I would've turned TC off at the ring and would be a cautionary YouTube video today, showing a brand new 1M totaled at the ring.

If you did already know they are different types of
Tires the accept my apologies.

Best wishes
Appreciate 2
JP-1M171.00
dim635csi203.00
      03-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #9
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

The newer MPS4S is better than the oder MPSS, for dry and wet driving, its really good.
I've used Cup2s on track and echo the comments above, once they have sufficiently warmed up, they start gripping and traction is good.

For fast street/a-b road driving MPS4Ss are better, even in the rain.
      03-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
10M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. The MPSS are performance summer tires that work better when warmed up a little. The Sport Cup is a competition tire not a summer performance tire. It sounds like you are classifying them both the same. They are not. The Sport Cup can be downright slick when not warmed up. And I don't mean snow weather. I autocrossed my stock size Sport cups in San Diego at 78 degrees temp and I spun out after the checkered flag the first time out. In the middle of the second run they began to hook up. So no they are not both summer performance tires. The Sport Cup2 might be better now but just driving on them in nice weather does not warm them up enough if you decide to unleash the beast. Whereas the summer performance tire hooks up better after just driving around town. If you look at tire rack the Sport is listed as a streetable competition tire.

It sort of came across as "yes I know that" but you consider them the same type of tire. I had the same thing happen to me when I picked up my 1M and visited with the head of M Marketing Europe at the M design center in Garching. I told him I was going straight to Nurburgring in my 1M. He told me don't turn off traction control until you have spent a bit of seat

He looked at me seriously and said listen to me, I'm serious, don't turn traction control off right away.

But then my wife wanted to go to Venice so we scrapped the Ring. After break in I took it out to my first autocross in it and immediately turned everything off as I had done over 20 years of autocrossimg and after some serious embarrassment and fixing about 8 cones I understood why he was so adamant. I am convinced I would've turned TC off at the ring and would be a cautionary YouTube video today, showing a brand new 1M totaled at the ring.

Best wishes
Thank you for your detailed response. It made me think twice and I did more digging. I am now leaning towards PS4S.

I saw some videos on YouTube under slightly bad weather conditions the Cup 2’s performing horribly.

Since my 1M is not a track car, I think it is way safer and more comfortable to throw on something more reasonable, such as PS4S.

Thanks again man!
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00
      03-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #11
10M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsta View Post
The newer MPS4S is better than the oder MPSS, for dry and wet driving, its really good.
I've used Cup2s on track and echo the comments above, once they have sufficiently warmed up, they start gripping and traction is good.

For fast street/a-b road driving MPS4Ss are better, even in the rain.
Thank you - you are 100% correct.

Going with MPS4S in F - 255/35/19 R - 275/35/19
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Best wishes
Thank you for your detailed response. It made me think twice and I did more digging. I am now leaning towards PS4S.

I saw some videos on YouTube under slightly bad weather conditions the Cup 2Â’s performing horribly.

Since my 1M is not a track car, I think it is way safer and more comfortable to throw on something more reasonable, such as PS4S.

Thanks again man!
Yes! I believe that is the smart choice for street use! Best wishes.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:

Best wishes
Excellent advice! I had a similar incident with track tired that didn't have enough heat in them.

Keep in mind that given the 1M's short wheel base, when the arse end starts to come around, she comes around quick.
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      03-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #14
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
I had the same thing happen to me when I picked up my 1M and visited with the head of M Marketing Europe at the M design center in Garching. I told him I was going straight to Nurburgring in my 1M. He told me don't turn off traction control until you have spent a bit of seat

If you look closely at the regulars lapping the 'Ring, MDM is on and flashing here and there. The only exception I have found is Advevo's videos. Sure, there may be others but without clear vision of their dash or in the description - can not be sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #15
10M3
Private
Rep

Question - when replacing TPMS with new ones from Tire Rack... do they automatically sync up after doing a reset in the comp?

Or do they need programming?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #16
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
They should sync up automatically.

What size did you go with? I have been running 255/35 front and 275/35 rear for a few years but now that I have a dedicated set of race wheels, I am going to put the MPS4S on for street use. I am torn between staying with the up size (looks more stout, gears down my tuned torquefest, and actually makes the speedo read perfectly accurate) or going back to the stock size (better steering response due to tapered sidewall, and may wear better at high negative camber due to taper of sidewall).
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #17
10M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
They should sync up automatically.

What size did you go with? I have been running 255/35 front and 275/35 rear for a few years but now that I have a dedicated set of race wheels, I am going to put the MPS4S on for street use. I am torn between staying with the up size (looks more stout, gears down my tuned torquefest, and actually makes the speedo read perfectly accurate) or going back to the stock size (better steering response due to tapered sidewall, and may wear better at high negative camber due to taper of sidewall).
I chickened out and decided to stick with the stock size. Might as well swap the TPMS while the tires are off, so I ordered those as well from tire rack.

Will be putting everything on next week Also doing an oil change.

Can't wait to give the car a proper drive!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #18
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I just ordered the up-size. What can I say. I’m a RubberJunkie.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #19
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Just mounted up my PS4S 255/35 front 275/35 rear on stock wheels, and LOVE the car with these tires. Grippy but comfortable.

I have been driving on competitive street rubber for autocross for over 4 years (RE-11 for 2 seasons, RE71R for 2 seasons, BFG Rivals for the past 3 months) and forgot how nice this car can be with something a little softer. The Bridgestones and Rivals have VERY stiff sidewalls and also became quite noisy after getting scuffed in from racing. These Michelin's are quiet and much more comfortable. They communicate what is on the road, but not in a harsh way.

My wife may actually enjoy riding in the 1M again, and that's a good thing!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      05-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #20
10M3
Private
Rep

Finally installed the tires in the stock size. I am very happy with the ride.

I also installed the Tire Rack TPMS... no programming needed, simply reset the TPMS on the dash and good to go
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #21
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

When the ps4s is fitted I’m the stock size is there any understeer ? When compared to the pss or oem ps2?

What about when the up size is mounted, what are the handling characteristics with the 255/275 sized mounted?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:10 PM   #22
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
When the ps4s is fitted I’m the stock size is there any understeer ? When compared to the pss or oem ps2?

What about when the up size is mounted, what are the handling characteristics with the 255/275 sized mounted?
Balance remains the same. Overall look is much better, tires appear less stretched, but are still tapered in from the wheel.
Appreciate 0