BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-28-2021, 11:01 AM   #1
e82mist
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

I registered for my first track day in about a month and a half and I'm wondering what I should be doing to prepare my car? I've read in the forums that because it's my first track day, I don't really need to change anything as I likely won't be driving the car super hard, but I've also read I should be doing my brake lines and pads. I will have an instructor with me and there will be both classroom and track time.

I currently drive a manual 2008 128i on ST coilovers and my tires are 245/35/18 rear and 225/40/18 front on 18" VMR V703 wheels.
Attached Images

Last edited by e82mist; 05-28-2021 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82mist View Post
I registered for my first track day in about a month and a half and I'm wondering what I should be doing to prepare my car? I've read in the forums that because it's my first track day, I don't really need to change anything as I likely won't be driving the car super hard, but I've also read I should be doing my brake lines and pads. I will have an instructor with me and there will be both classroom and track time.

I currently drive a manual 2008 128i on ST coilovers and my tires are 245/35/18 rear and 225/40/18 front on 18" VMR V703 wheels.
You’re right not to do much prior to your first event. Yes, make sure you got good plenty of brake pad life left. Your lines might probably be good since you’re not going to be doing crazy speeds on your first few outings. Fresh brake fluid might be a good idea. Oil, only if you haven’t done so in the past six months, but then again, that depends on the life of the oil you got in there.

You got a great setup already to begin your first foray into HPDE, so I guess all you need is to have an open mind, make sure to have fun and strive to learn on that first event. It will be overwhelming at first be prepped for that. It will get better though and trust me it is worth it!

Source: I was you a few years back. We drive the same car (same color even). I’m in advanced now though, and yet, I still have NOT made much changes since, since I haven’t “outgrown” the setup I have. Maybe a bucket seat is in the works, but then again, that requires a cage and that costs $$$. A four point will suffice for now.

Good luck w your first event!
Appreciate 2
asbrr544.50
      05-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Focus on just making sure your car is safe, similar as to what you might do before a long road trip. Brake pad and rotor wear is ok, tires still have a good amount of tread, pressures in tires ok, oil change if warranted, coolant level ok, check for any leaks, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Do the people running your HPDE require a tech inspection of the car? If yes, try and get it done early in case you need labour and parts.
Otherwise
Brake fluid flush (while there, check for at least 5mm (6mm+ is better) on pads
Remove ALL loose objects from car.
Will you need a helmet? I recommend a SA2025 (or newer) open face. Rental helmets tend to be yucky/sweaty. Even if you use the helmet only once, you'll be able to sell it for most of what you pay. My Pyrotect SA2010 is now good only for this year.
About 3 psi over normal tire pressure
Torque wrench (less than $50 Princess Auto) & a deep wheel nut socket .
2 pieces of wood to act as a tire chock when you check wheel nut torque
2 or 3 pieces of masking tape (or similar) to put over your hand brake handle such that you NEVER apply your emergency brake after coming in off the track
Clean windshield
Good rest the night before
Water/juices
Arrive as early as possible
I recommend raising hood after a session to allow engine to cool better (turbos!)
Appreciate 2
asbrr544.50
      05-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #5
BronkaidBrah
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Quote:
I registered for my first track day in about a month and a half and I'm wondering what I should be doing to prepare my car?
Guy up top pretty much nailed it. Get some fresh pads and tires if necessary. Do a fluid flush if you don't remember the last time you changed brake fluid. Bring a case of water because it gets spicy wearing a helmet all day. Since it's your first hpde there won't be any 10/10ths going on so just make sure your car can stop when the stop pedal is pressed and absorb everything your instructor tells you like a sponge. You're gonna have a blast.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #6
e82mist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
You’re right not to do much prior to your first event. Yes, make sure you got good plenty of brake pad life left. Your lines might probably be good since you’re not going to be doing crazy speeds on your first few outings. Fresh brake fluid might be a good idea. Oil, only if you haven’t done so in the past six months, but then again, that depends on the life of the oil you got in there.

You got a great setup already to begin your first foray into HPDE, so I guess all you need is to have an open mind, make sure to have fun and strive to learn on that first event. It will be overwhelming at first be prepped for that. It will get better though and trust me it is worth it!

Source: I was you a few years back. We drive the same car (same color even). I’m in advanced now though, and yet, I still have NOT made much changes since, since I haven’t “outgrown” the setup I have. Maybe a bucket seat is in the works, but then again, that requires a cage and that costs $$$. A four point will suffice for now.

Good luck w your first event!
thank you for the advice! i'm excited/nervous for it. I'll make sure all of my fluids are good and i'm going to do my brakes as well. maybe in a few years I'll be in advanced like you!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:11 PM   #7
e82mist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Focus on just making sure your car is safe, similar as to what you might do before a long road trip. Brake pad and rotor wear is ok, tires still have a good amount of tread, pressures in tires ok, oil change if warranted, coolant level ok, check for any leaks, etc.

thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:15 PM   #8
e82mist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Do the people running your HPDE require a tech inspection of the car? If yes, try and get it done early in case you need labour and parts.
Otherwise
Brake fluid flush (while there, check for at least 5mm (6mm+ is better) on pads
Remove ALL loose objects from car.
Will you need a helmet? I recommend a SA2025 (or newer) open face. Rental helmets tend to be yucky/sweaty. Even if you use the helmet only once, you'll be able to sell it for most of what you pay. My Pyrotect SA2010 is now good only for this year.
About 3 psi over normal tire pressure
Torque wrench (less than $50 Princess Auto) & a deep wheel nut socket .
2 pieces of wood to act as a tire chock when you check wheel nut torque
2 or 3 pieces of masking tape (or similar) to put over your hand brake handle such that you NEVER apply your emergency brake after coming in off the track
Clean windshield
Good rest the night before
Water/juices
Arrive as early as possible
I recommend raising hood after a session to allow engine to cool better (turbos!)

they never mentioned anything about a tech inspection but i'll reach out to them and ask just in case! I just got an SA2020 helmet yesterday, wasn't too keen on renting one. thank you for all of the advice, sounds like you've done a few of these, lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:16 PM   #9
e82mist
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronkaidBrah View Post
Guy up top pretty much nailed it. Get some fresh pads and tires if necessary. Do a fluid flush if you don't remember the last time you changed brake fluid. Bring a case of water because it gets spicy wearing a helmet all day. Since it's your first hpde there won't be any 10/10ths going on so just make sure your car can stop when the stop pedal is pressed and absorb everything your instructor tells you like a sponge. You're gonna have a blast.
thanks! I plan on getting everything I can out of this hpde.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 10:26 PM   #10
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Quote:
thank you for the advice! i'm excited/nervous for it. I'll make sure all of my fluids are good and i'm going to do my brakes as well. maybe in a few years I'll be in advanced like you!
All good advice here mate, let me tell ya. What’s important is you get the most fun out of this first DE experience! Don’t overthink it, just observe safety, show good etiquette in/out of track and remember to enjoy the social (distanced?) aspect of it!

You might be one of those quick learners and might not even take more than a few events to go up the ranks, you might surprise yourself! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 02:14 PM   #11
e82mist
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
All good advice here mate, let me tell ya. What's important is you get the most fun out of this first DE experience! Don't overthink it, just observe safety, show good etiquette in/out of track and remember to enjoy the social (distanced?) aspect of it!

You might be one of those quick learners and might not even take more than a few events to go up the ranks, you might surprise yourself! Cheers!
Quote:
Quote:
All good advice here mate, let me tell ya. What's important is you get the most fun out of this first DE experience! Don't overthink it, just observe safety, show good etiquette in/out of track and remember to enjoy the social (distanced?) aspect of it!

Wouldn't that be nice! I'll try not to overthink it. I'm kind of glad my first one is all women, I feel like it won't be as intimidating. I just hope it's not postponed due to Covid.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 09:48 AM   #12
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
2025s are definitely not out yet. SA2020s are just starting to hit the market, COVID delayed them a bit, which is why most organizations are allowing 2010s this year.

The only thing I have to add is keep an eye on your oil temps, brake temps (you can tell this by how they feel,) etc. Don't feel bad about doing a cool down lap every now and then since these cars run HOT. I've seen too many people spin rod bearings (myself included) or boil brake fluid, etc. Don't feel like you need to push every single lap, short shifting and 50 yards of lift and coast into corners is usually enough to bring temps back down. While you're doing these cool down laps you'll be able to focus on your line, flagger stations, etc. more as well.
Appreciate 0