BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Auto Atlas heading to South Africa

My dealer told me that my car is on board a ship which left Bremerhaven on 02/14, but did not know which ship I was on. The only ship I could find from the Bremerhaven schedules that left on that date and that is heading out en-route to SA is the Auto Atlas. It left Southampton harbour this afternoon at 4pm and is on its way to Spain for its last stop before landing in Durban harbour on 03/07.

I must say the picture below does not look that reassuring as I'm not sure the ship will even make it to Spain, let alone all the way to SA.

I see they managed to find a Sedona Red ship to deliver my baby.:smile:

"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Ha awesome, congrats dude, from one Sedona to another.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Ha awesome, congrats dude, from one Sedona to another.
Thanks. I can't believe it takes 3 weeks to sail down to SA though, and then according to the current schedule I have another 2 - 3 weeks to clear customs and go through the VDC and then transport it up to the dealer before I can get it.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Congrats! That sucker looks beached, or else it's listing about 10 degrees to starboard.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Congrats! That sucker looks beached, or else it's listing about 10 degrees to starboard.
Tell me about it.

Hopefully that is what it looks like without a load on board and not fully laden.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Twisted
TwistedHouse
Rep
Drives:

muahaha.... is that the new BMW 7 series you posted a pic of? doesn't look like a 50/50 weight ratio to me... must be a hyundai?

On a more serious note, congrats are in order red car which left on valentines day...now theres a love affair of note.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
muahaha.... is that the new BMW 7 series you posted a pic of? doesn't look like a 50/50 weight ratio to me... must be a hyundai?

On a more serious note, congrats are in order red car which left on valentines day...now theres a love affair of note.

:biggrin:

Thanks, long may it last.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Got confirmation today from the dealer. My car is on this ship and is currently somewhere in the middle of the Bay of Biscay on the way to its final stop tomorrow - Santander in Spain, before heading down South.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Just gotten another update. According to the Santander Port Authority schedule, the Auto Atlas left Spain at around 1 PM today :w00t:. (VesselTracker's delayed view still shows the ship off the Southampton coast however :iono: - it left Southampton on the 18th already)

Next stop Durban - still planned for 3/7. The race will be on to see if I can get my car before 3/22 :wink:
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 02:50 AM   #10
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My ship has come in

The Auto Atlas sailed into Durban Harbour this morning. It has been 2 weeks of agony for me, as I was not able to track the ship since it disappeared off the radar (VesselTracker) from 2/20 when it left Spain, but it has finally reappeared and has now officially docked. :thumbup::drinking::roundel:

Hopefully I can still get the car before month end.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0