BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
TheColonel
Rep
Drives: Mazda RX-8 (booooo!)

ED 128i for July/Aug Any Discount? Out of dealer allocation?

I have actually been gearing up to buy a new 328i through ED on the premise that the 1 Series was not available for ED. I am gladly finding out otherwise.

However, with the 328i, I should, depending on the dealer, be able to negotiate a steep discount, as they do not come out of the dealer's allocation.

Now, before you flame and tell me to run a search, I have and I'm reading conflicting information and having trouble sorting out what's the latest info.

So my question is this, if I'm ordering a car for delivery in July or Aug of this year, will it be coming out of the dealer's allocation and will I be able to negotiate from invoice price? Or are these babies basically selling at MSRP or premium for the next 8 months?

If the price on the 1 is negotiable for my time frame, then I will probably go for it and save a few grand over the 3... or, as the gears start churning in my head, looking at invoice prices, I could probably opt for a 135i for the price of the 328i, if I drop an option or two.

Anyone with current info?

Thanks all,

-The Colonel
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

until the release we really don;t know how great the demand is going to be... If demand is not that great you should be able to negotiate but it will take several months to see how the car is selling

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
imported_Tex
Rep
Drives:

Colonel, I know for a fact that dealers are trading their assigned production numbers for 1 series cars for faster moving models. Basically this means that demand is low.

These cars are simply over priced compared to 3 series coupes. Is a 135 worth $200 more a month than a G37 -no!

BMW will have to offer aggressive lease terms to get these cars moving. We might see something on the 15th - stay tuned.

In a month or two the 1 series will be just another hunk of metal.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
TheColonel
Rep

Good to know/scary. The car has all the good stuff so you think someone would be wanting this car.

Should I be reconsidering the 328i? (I still stand tempted at the proposition of a 135i... I told my myself I didn't need another racer, but that engine sure does hum)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Colonel, I know for a fact that dealers are trading their assigned production numbers for 1 series cars for faster moving models. Basically this means that demand is low.

These cars are simply over priced compared to 3 series coupes. Is a 135 worth $200 more a month than a G37 -no!

BMW will have to offer aggressive lease terms to get these cars moving. We might see something on the 15th - stay tuned.

I think you might be jumping the gun a little bit with this!

The average car buyer does'nt even know that this car exists yet.

I think we might actually want to waint until the car is officially on sale in the US before you declair a flop!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
vivid
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
I think you might be jumping the gun a little bit with this!

The average car buyer does'nt even know that this car exists yet.

I think we might actually want to waint until the car is officially on sale in the US before you declair a flop!
I must say, mu initinatl take is that the car will not do well... The US market does not like small cars and the 3serise is so close in price that IMO the average US consumer would jump to the 3serise... Now if the 1series was a massively economic car, fuel wise, maybe it would be a different story...

We can look at the Z coupe as prime examples... BMW was nearly giving them away a few months ago... $7k is discounts from BMWNA and dealer were slashing their profit margins on them too...

I hope the 135i will do well but I think its a bit of a specialized car that the US market won't care about...

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

maybe in Dallas.... The only 1's that have not yet been sold for us are the verts.... We have a very difficult time trading for coupes right now. So demand is more than fine
- they are only "overpriced" in the aspect of leasing. The cars themselves are more than reasonably priced for what you are getting. If you like a G, get a G. The 2 cars are competing for different shares of the market, not against each other.
- As I stated in previous thread, pretty much all of our orders are either financing or paying cash. Only a 128 order is leasing. People said the same thing about the hardtop 3 & leasing and also the new X5. Same old story, same results, those cars still sold, the 1 series will too.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
I must say, mu initinatl take is that the car will not do well... The US market does not like small cars and the 3serise is so close in price that IMO the average US consumer would jump to the 3serise... Now if the 1series was a massively economic car, fuel wise, maybe it would be a different story...

We can look at the Z coupe as prime examples... BMW was nearly giving them away a few months ago... $7k is discounts from BMWNA and dealer were slashing their profit margins on them too...

I hope the 135i will do well but I think its a bit of a specialized car that the US market won't care about...
The Z is a far more unique car, as 2 seater & in terms of styling. The 1 series actually has practicality. The 1 series is actually not all that small. Interior spaces feels almost like the last generation 3 coupe, back seat included. Again, from perspective as a ca, demand and interest has been exceptional, except for the vert, which is understandable in Cleveland.
- I think you can look to the mini as a prime example of small/premium car that does great.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
vivid
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
The Z is a far more unique car, as 2 seater & in terms of styling. The 1 series actually has practicality. The 1 series is actually not all that small. Interior spaces feels almost like the last generation 3 coupe, back seat included. Again, from perspective as a ca, demand and interest has been exceptional, except for the vert, which is understandable in Cleveland.
- I think you can look to the mini as a prime example of small/premium car that does great.
I hope you're right, I would love to see this car do well but we will have to wait for the quarterly sales figures... But one thing, the 1series costs 50% more than a mini ($19k & $22 vs $28.5k & $36k) so its not really a good comparison.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
But one thing, the 1series costs 50% more than a mini ($19k & $22 vs $28.5k & $36k) so its not really a good comparison.
True, but it has a lot more "bmw" in it too. Not to mention the substantial perfomance increase over a mini, & more seating space (clubman exlcd).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
TheColonel
Rep

Well, as a prospective buyer, I'd like it to flop at first and then sell like hot cakes to keep the resale up. lol

Either way, is the 1 coming out of dealer allocation for ED or not? If it is, I'll probably have to go for the (ironically) cheaper E90.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #12
vivid
Captain
England
Rep

My understanding of ED and I could be wrong but the do come out of the dealers allocation... It cost BMW money to offer ED so they don't do it with new models... I doubt they are going to do ED for the 1series until the initial rush has died down and dealers have inventory on the lots

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
TheColonel
Rep

Prestige BMW of Ramsey NJ said they can order the 1 on ED and it is advertised on BMWUSA.com:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...stSavings.aspx

However, if the car is coming out of dealer allocation, then I won't be able to negotiate on price, other than to take the advertised discount. At -$2000, it barely justifies the plane ticket.

Now if it doesn't come out of thier allocation, as the 3 series doesn't, I can then begin pricing the car from the ED invoice of $24,470 which makes it worth it to hop a flight for an overnight.

I have heard it both ways, it comes out of dealer allocation and it doesn't. If it doesn't, great. If it does, does anyone know for how long? I'm probably not going to be able take delivery till August anyway and I'm hoping that, by then at least, the car will be running like the 3 and not coming out of allocation.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #14
BMW=BeggingMantoWife
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 Black 128i convertible

Guys,
If you watched the Threads you would have noticed that several have ordered the 1 Series ED and, yes, they are coming out of the dealer's allotments so most, if not all, are paying MSRP ED.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #15
TheColonel
Rep

I have been reading that. However, I've also seen the contrary, so I'm just asking again.

I know that others are paying MSRP for the car. However, I'm planning this for several months down the road. I know BMW is a different company, but armed with the right info, I bought my 2004 RX-8 about 3 months after release for $5240 below MSRP.

I've never paid even invoice for a car. I expect that streak to end with my next, but I sure as heck am going to push as close as I can.

If knowledge=power, and money=power, then we can conclude that knowedge=money. Heh, I'm sure that's been done before, but I hope it explains if I'm a little redundant.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #16
taukappa2000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel View Post
I have been reading that. However, I've also seen the contrary, so I'm just asking again.

I know that others are paying MSRP for the car. However, I'm planning this for several months down the road. I know BMW is a different company, but armed with the right info, I bought my 2004 RX-8 about 3 months after release for $5240 below MSRP.

I've never paid even invoice for a car. I expect that streak to end with my next, but I sure as heck am going to push as close as I can.

If knowledge=power, and money=power, then we can conclude that knowedge=money. Heh, I'm sure that's been done before, but I hope it explains if I'm a little redundant.
I've been checking this site daily for over a month, and I've never seen anyone get a 1er ED'd for below MSRP.

I'm picking up in Munich in late August, too. If I were you, I'd start talking with a dealer now, so you can be assured of an allocation slot. To be honest, be happy if you can find a dealer who'll do ED on a 1er for you at no more than MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #17
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
yes, as of right now, it is out of dealer inventory
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #18
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I think anyone who's read the pertinent posts on the site knows unequivocally that 1er ED does come out of your dealer's allocation at present, and nobody knows when that will cease. I've heard one shot-in-the-dark guess of 6 months, but I have a strong suspicion that not even BMWUSA knows that answer yet as it will be dictated by demand.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Not sure where Tex is coming from, but demand has been strong in Dallas/Fort Worth as well. I asked my CA about it, and every slot through April build-dates is spoken for at my Center, and each CA has a dozen or so people waiting to see the car in the metal before ordering (novel concept :wink. With the reduced US production, it's pretty clear that there will not be enough cars to go around for the first model year once it hits the lots.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #20
TheColonel
Rep

New question: if I buy a 1 through ED, does it come out of thier allocation when I buy it or does it come out of thier allocation for the month when I'm taking delivery?
Appreciate 0