BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
laotzu
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Spare Tire Net/Cover

I'm wicked excited: I'm finally ditching the RFTs and going with some Dunlop Direza Star Specs (thank you TireRack). Living in a city with lots of potholes and debris I wouldn't feel safe rolling around without a spare in my trunk so I ordered this guy:

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...%20SPARE%20KIT

Like others here, I drive quite spiritedly. I'm picturing this thing bouncing and sliding around in my trunk something awful. In previous posts I've seen pictures of people who have secured their spare tire using nets and other tie-downs. For the life of me I can't seem to find a cover or a net.

For those who have spares in their trunk, what are people doing to secure them down so they don't go flying around?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Funny enough, I secure my spare with an adjustable strap bungee. I also have my rear seat removed and built a lightweight wood panel to close off the trunk. My mechanic was driving my car and did not have my spare properly bungeed and he slung it through my panel. I had planned to build a better panel anyways, now I have no choice.

But going back to your topic, I'm still working on how I want to better secure my spare. In the meantime I've just hooked a good strap through the bolt hole of the spare to the metal opening inside the back of the trunk on the passenger side. It's not gonna fly around much hooked like this, as long as it's hooked.

I bought my strap at Target, this is fairly similar.
http://www.amazon.com/CargoLoc-32399...1763485&sr=1-4
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by laotzu View Post
I'm wicked excited:
For those who have spares in their trunk, what are people doing to secure them down so they don't go flying around?
My spare just sits in the trunk. I do have the rubber trunk liner. My spare does not move around even when I drive thru the twisty stuff. I suppose should secure it... but I have never gotten around to doing so.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laotzu View Post
I'm wicked excited: I'm finally ditching the RFTs and going with some Dunlop Direza Star Specs (thank you TireRack). Living in a city with lots of potholes and debris I wouldn't feel safe rolling around without a spare in my trunk so I ordered this guy:

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...%20SPARE%20KIT

Like others here, I drive quite spiritedly. I'm picturing this thing bouncing and sliding around in my trunk something awful. In previous posts I've seen pictures of people who have secured their spare tire using nets and other tie-downs. For the life of me I can't seem to find a cover or a net.

The cargo net is part number 51 47 0 010 557, available at Tischer, Bavarian Autosport etc. I've heard our American spec cars are missing two of the four tie-downs. I guess a couple of screws or similar would solve that if it needed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
laotzu
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Thanks for the ideas. I've seen the hooks on what I assume to be the European spec 1ers near where the rear seat folds down. I'd be pretty scared to drill holes there.

The net looks nice though. Does anybody know where one can buy a vinyl cover for the donut as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I just ordered a cargo net. I'll figure out how to install some extra hooks. Thanks for the part#.

I ordered a cover with my donut from Andy at LeatherZ. Doesn't look like he has a cargo net there.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.

Last edited by Eyeman; 08-15-2010 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I drilled a hole in the trap door to the battery and installed a bolt with a large washer
and wing nut, it goes through one of the wheels outer holes (outside of tire face down). I have the spare pushed forward against the back seat so it doesn't take much to keep it from moving around. I'm sure if I go upside down it will not hold it in place, I'll just try and keep it right side up.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Received my net. I hooked mine in the back using the two metal D hooks on the back wall of the trunk. In the front I just hooked it in the front of the trunk artificial floor. Y'all will probably have to slightly tilt your rear seat back forward to get it initially hooked there. I really don't think the net secures my tire much better than my bungee. I guess I'll go with something like what Gap did eventually. I do like having the net either way and was glad to find a good way to hook it easily. I'll add pics when I finish up my new acrylic trunk panel plus I have my trunk apart in prep to install a Vishnu meth tank.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Or this one : http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=36&fg=95&hl=3

Has its own secure system.
Appreciate 0