BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
1Hokie
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 328i, 10 z4 35i

Garage List
Misfires and valvetronic error codes?!

I haven't had much time because I am not behind my laptop but I just had the service engine light come on and read out to be misfire 1,5,6. And something like a valvetronic error?? Can someone shed some insight or presumptions before I go apeshit on google when I get home tonight?

First thought was injectors. And since those are done in 3s it looks like I may need to do all 6?? What's that valvetronic reading??
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
Cannabeyes
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hokie View Post
I haven't had much time because I am not behind my laptop but I just had the service engine light come on and read out to be misfire 1,5,6. And something like a valvetronic error?? Can someone shed some insight or presumptions before I go apeshit on google when I get home tonight?

First thought was injectors. And since those are done in 3s it looks like I may need to do all 6?? What's that valvetronic reading??
you should first clear and re-read DME fault codes (done with autologic or dealership software, there's other tools too). after that, relearn the Valvetronic limit positions. right after clearing give it a good 0-60mph (so the DME adaptation resets and valvetronic opens) and if you're still missfiring. you can check valvetronic input voltage with a normal volt meter. it should be between 5 and 2 volts (note, it will slowly decline as it gets out of coldstart). if thats good then your coils are done my friend. hope this helps. God bless.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
so i just replaced ignition coils and spark plugs.. idle is much more smooth at 700rpms and not bouncing around from 600-700.

BUT

there was oil on the spark plug.. only #4 from the front, the rest were okay

thoughts?

I went ahead and ordered a new valve cover gasket.. hoping its just this, but if you guys have other thoughts then let me know, thanks

Last edited by 1Hokie; 08-25-2015 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
so i just replaced ignition coils and spark plugs.. idle is much more smooth at 700rpms and not bouncing around from 600-700.

BUT

there was oil on the spark plug.. only #4 from the front, the rest were okay

thoughts?

I went ahead and ordered a new valve cover gasket.. hoping its just this, but if you guys have other thoughts then let me know, thanks
Valve cover gasket and/or cracked valve cover. Take a real good look at it!

Dack
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Valve cover gasket and/or cracked valve cover. Take a real good look at it!

Dack
Went ahead and replaced the full valve cover and gasket. Still getting a misfire in cylinder4. I tried to clean up the oil on the sparkplug as much as possible, but maybe there's still oil in there? I don't want to have to take the valve cover off again just to clean out cylinder 4 if it can be done with through the ignition coil tube.

also, its 2 codes now
ignition cyl 4
misfire cyl 4

haallppppp!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 02:07 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Went ahead and replaced the full valve cover and gasket. Still getting a misfire in cylinder4. I tried to clean up the oil on the sparkplug as much as possible, but maybe there's still oil in there? I don't want to have to take the valve cover off again just to clean out cylinder 4 if it can be done with through the ignition coil tube.

also, its 2 codes now
ignition cyl 4
misfire cyl 4

haallppppp!!!

Use some non flammable BrakeKleen by CRC and compressed air - down the spark plug hole. That should get rid of any old oil residue.

So... new VC ad VCG. What spark plugs? Dealer bought ones? IF not that would be my next step. Then IF you have good spark plugs it will be time for new injectors and/or carbon cleaning.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:

also, its 2 codes now
ignition cyl 4
misfire cyl 4

haallppppp!!!

Use some non flammable BrakeKleen by CRC and compressed air - down the spark plug hole. That should get rid of any old oil residue.

So... new VC ad VCG. What spark plugs? Dealer bought ones? IF not that would be my next step. Then IF you have good spark plugs it will be time for new injectors and/or carbon cleaning.

Dack
New plugs. Bosch ones. New ignition coils. Bosch as well. I'll try the compressed air today tho. Thought since I don't have direct injection there's no carbon buildup?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
1Hokie
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:

also, its 2 codes now
ignition cyl 4
misfire cyl 4

haallppppp!!!

Dack
So this is odd. I wanted to see if one of my new coils was faulty so I swapped #3 and #4. Now no errors or rough idles. Does that make sense? I was expecting a misfire in #3 if it was a bad coil or stay in 4 with the oily plug. A little confused. 3 hours of driving so far and no issues... Yet
Appreciate 0