BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #23
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

In my opinion, it is not always about horsepower... It is how this power gets delivered, the suspension, the lay out, 50:50 distribution, things like this.Things that are a little more sophisticated, not just a raw power. And as far as bland goes do not forget new EU law about pedestrian safety, it was said about year ago that all new cars coming from Europe will be ugly or bland.....And if care to see a test on GT and other stangs, check out Top Gear episodes on youtube....
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #24
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
The Original Poster has already lost all credibility when he compared a 135i to a Cadillac CTS. Yes the Cadillac is pushing 300hp but you forgot to mention it surpasses 4000lbs(says CarandDriver). Before you start spouting off at the keyboard do some research. I was born and bred to love fords but I would never think the mustang and 135i is in the same class. The hard and cheap looking plastics are EVERYWHERE. The mustang is also much bigger. Enjoy your mustang and I'll enjoy my 135i. Happy Saturday.
Right but that 4000lbs and the parts of it above the 135i's weight are added on in terms of LIVABLE SPACE. If anything the CTS becomes BETTER than the 135i because it adds miles of rear head room and leg room for free.

Also that's not how the Stang works, cheep plastics are only found in the base level trim, but as you move up the ladder all the plastic on the doors and the dash are replaced with real hide leather. This was a new option added in 07. Furthermore plastic trim pieces are taken away and both aluminum and brushed aluminum are put in. I've seen the results and they are 70% as good as any BMW. The materials are of high quality, attention to detail is the only aspect that is lacking.

Let's not rant here about weight, if you care about that so much, a Lotus may be more your thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #25
Legion5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimaGt View Post
In my opinion, it is not always about horsepower... It is how this power gets delivered, the suspension, the lay out, 50:50 distribution, things like this.Things that are a little more sophisticated, not just a raw power. And as far as bland goes do not forget new EU law about pedestrian safety, it was said about year ago that all new cars coming from Europe will be ugly or bland.....And if care to see a test on GT and other stangs, check out Top Gear episodes on youtube....
"The Roushe preforms amazingly!, that new suspension setup is what this car needs" is a paraphrase from the episode you are talking about. You seem to be pointing out that BMW has this handling quality that the cars who's reviews you point to don't. Yet those same episodes give astonishing praise to the competitor you speak of in modified form, which one could put on par with that same reviewer group's appreciation of any BMW they tested.

I'm going to also echo your point about EU pedestrian safety laws which is one I agree with, they are silly.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #26
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
"The Roushe preforms amazingly!, that new suspension setup is what this car needs"

I'm going to have to echo your point about EU pedestrian safety laws which is one I agree with, they are silly.

Okay, new rule. From now on, nobody waste their energy responding to this dude because he dosent get it. You were the one that compared the 300hp caddy to the 300hp bmw. It is downright silly for you to say that the CTS is better because it has more "free" room. In case you didnt get the memo, space isnt the number 1 or number 2 factor the the majority of the people on here.
      09-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #27
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Blown Mustang GT "blurs" the one 335i choice?!

....I would think this would only make the 335i choice that much clearer. The only thing adding a supercharger would do is make you the car break loose even quicker...

But hey, long live the days of mullets and donuts!

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #28
Legion5
Major
Rep

Quote:

Okay, new rule. From now on, nobody waste their energy responding to this dude because he dosent get it. You were the one that compared the 300hp caddy to the 300hp bmw. It is downright silly for you to say that the CTS is better because it has more "free" room. In case you didnt get the memo, space isnt the number 1 or number 2 factor the the majority of the people on here.
I'm not here to get in a pissing contest with you.. look it's clear you have an irrational obsession with performance and I'm not going to fall into the trap of agreeing with you. I was making a point about value.

Just to put sparks in your imagination and not that I am going to say another word about this.. I have 3 letter for you.

G
T
O

Ok shows over.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #29
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I'm not here to get in a pissing contest with you.. look it's clear you have an irrational obsession with performance and I'm not going to fall into the trap of agreeing with you. I was making a point about value.

Just to put sparks in your imagination and not that I am going to say another word about this.. I have 3 letter for you.

G
T
O

Ok shows over.

Too bad, it's too fun reading your inane posts!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #30
BimmerBoi2100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 135i

I think this dude came on this board to talk sh*t. If you aren't a 1-er fan then kick rocks pimpin. The majority of the folks that replied think you're full of it. And for your info I'm not german, I'm an American soldier.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #31
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:

G
T
O

Ok shows over.
Please let us piss!! GTO?? Haha. You mean the big cavalier with the vette engine. Once again do some reasearch. The way the pedals are positioned makes it very hard to fall in love with the car. And what the car costs 35k, has about 400hp and isnt going to beat a 135i in accel times. Your talking value, so explain to me how the GTO has more value per dollar. I'm not talking hp per dollar. The weight issue already makes up for the deficit. I'm just trying to get a simple point across here man, so keep your shirt on. Most of the people interested in the 135i is looking into performance. It is impossible to name a car with 2 doors in the same weight/power/size category to compete with it. At least not until Merc/Audi responds.
      09-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #32
Legion5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post

Too bad, it's too fun reading your inane posts!
What are you talking about?? Besides the main thing I said isn't it painfully obvious I'm messing with him in my wording? It's too fun watching you be gay bro.

It would be nice if you all liked the 1er without being fan boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k
size category to compete with it. At least not until Merc/Audi responds.
You bring up size which is a good point, but you have to understand, in anything but a circle of car enthusiasts or... group of girls with daddy issues, small in and out of congestion swerving size is not a virtue.

Especially when we talk America. People look at something small and then sharply look the other way. The smart car has such acceptance issues because of this.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 11:59 PM   #33
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5
It's too fun watching you be gay bro.
Is the name calling really necessary? Were you hurt that much?

You have a compelling argument however you are comparing apples to oranges. Sports cars(135i), saloon/sedan(cts), Grand touring(mustang) are not similar. What i am getting from you is like saying you are getting ripped off if you buy an F430 because the Maybach and the Vanquish S make more HP. Because a car has a similar price as another doesn't mean they are in the same class. Each car is built for a purpose. If a sports car isn't practical for your size then it isn't very purposeful for you.

If all you are concerned about is going in a straight line then i don't think BMW is for you and if you are buying one for that.... you are getting ripped off. Straight line isn't exactly BMW's strong point and never will be. Imo its a fools errand to judge the whole without adding up the parts.

edit: with your hp/tq i would guess you are driving an american v8?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #34
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I'd like to know what were talking about one minute your talking about leg room in a cts next your talking performance in a straight line. if your looking for a balanced package you cant beat a BMW. durability build quality performance(handling breaking and power as a package no single one overwhelming the other) so what are we actually discussing
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #35
Legion5
Major
Rep

Look at it this way, if Michael Angelo and and Joe Random painted an exact copy of the same painting, say the Mona Lisa, then Joe Random took a bucket of red paint and threw it onto the center of the picture and finally sold his work for $5, the going rate for Michael Angelo's painting would be under $5.

At least from a production standpoint.

I get that the car enthusiast here worship the concept of balance and these fast small cars are really cool to them, but you have to understand that firstly how much YOU like the car is not important.

Most people if given the choice would take a CTS over a 135i, even if it is a full .9 second slower (according to manufacturer's statistics). Even if it probably does about 15% worse on the skid pad.

BMW isn't Ferrari here. It's BMW. It sells only 1/3rd as many cars as FORD in America.

Balance furthermore is great but it's what people SHOULD want, not what they DO want.

Us smart people may go for the 135i, but if we are talking lack of excess here, then what's the point of an unbalanced price?

Comparisons don't work at all especially if your PURPOSE is to absolutely have a car of a certain configuration like people here may want, but from an engineering a product standpoint they make sense very well.

onehots2k, please get your facts straight:

Brand name is irrelevant.
I like the pedals on the GTO.
On paper the 135i is rated at 5.5 in it's accelerating times. The GTO is 4.8, many Ferraris can't beat that.
It costs a tad under 32k not 35k
GTOs may weight 350 lbs more than the 135i but they post track times at the same pace as M3's.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 07:11 PM   #36
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I shouldn't be so mean.

Please carry on...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #37
ice13water
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Please let us piss!! GTO?? Haha. You mean the big cavalier with the vette engine. Once again do some reasearch. The way the pedals are positioned makes it very hard to fall in love with the car. And what the car costs 35k, has about 400hp and isnt going to beat a 135i in accel times. Your talking value, so explain to me how the GTO has more value per dollar. I'm not talking hp per dollar. The weight issue already makes up for the deficit. I'm just trying to get a simple point across here man, so keep your shirt on. Most of the people interested in the 135i is looking into performance. It is impossible to name a car with 2 doors in the same weight/power/size category to compete with it. At least not until Merc/Audi responds.

if your s2k is stock or close to it
are yougonna be selling it if so keep me informed
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #38
Rep

Quote:
I get that the car enthusiast here worship the concept of balance and these fast small cars are really cool to them, but you have to understand that firstly how much YOU like the car is not important.

Most people if given the choice would take a CTS over a 135i, even if it is a full .9 second slower (according to manufacturer's statistics). Even if it probably does about 15% worse on the skid pad.

BMW isn't Ferrari here. It's BMW. It sells only 1/3rd as many cars as FORD in America.

Balance furthermore is great but it's what people SHOULD want, not what they DO want.

Us smart people may go for the 135i, but if we are talking lack of excess here, then what's the point of an unbalanced price?

Comparisons don't work at all especially if your PURPOSE is to absolutely have a car of a certain configuration like people here may want, but from an engineering a product standpoint they make sense very well.
You are not making any sense. Your points are pointless and based off of assumption. Im not trying to insult but this is a summary of what i feel won't be read correctly.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #39
M135
Professional Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
What is the OP's point in this thread? Besides a bland pissing match I want that 15 minutes of my life back.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #40
TN_1er
Rep
Drives:

Michael Angelo...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #41
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

Quote:
Look at it this way, if Michael Angelo and and Joe Random painted an exact copy of the same painting, say the Mona Lisa, then Joe Random took a bucket of red paint and threw it onto the center of the picture and finally sold his work for $5, the going rate for Michael Angelo's painting would be under $5.

At least from a production standpoint.

onehots2k, please get your facts straight:

Brand name is irrelevant.
I like the pedals on the GTO.
On paper the 135i is rated at 5.5 in it's accelerating times. The GTO is 4.8, many Ferraris can't beat that.
It costs a tad under 32k not 35k
GTOs may weight 350 lbs more than the 135i but they post track times at the same pace as M3's.
please, leave and never come back. nothing you say makes any sense. your first sentence is illogical. mona lisa = bucket of red paint???? have you seen the mona lisa. i know this isnt what you meant but I cannot figure out what you DID mean. try rereading this stuff before you post.

how much I like the car is the ONLY thing thats important. if i dont like it, i dont buy it. i'll find something that I like more. I realize that car manufacturers are interested in making money, but the number of units a car has sold has very little effect on my decision making.

most people would take a CTS, whoopty do. do you honestly think I care what most people would take? a lot of people want to have the space and convenience of a 4-door. These aren't the people BMW is marketing the 135i to, they have others cars in their lineup for that.

BMW isn't Ferrari? Really? thanks for the heads up.

Once again, I dont care what "people" want. I care about what I want when buying a car. I dont simply look up the best selling automobile and then go purchase one, cause it might be a pickup truck or something I'm completely not interested in.

People keep worrying about the price, but it really doesnt matter. It will be supply and demand. If they price it really low, there will be a high demand, and dealers will mark them up to meet demand. If they are too high, the "gotta have it" buyers will pay the premium and then eventually when the rest don't move, you'll be able to get a deal on one. simple economics.

comparisons do work. I know what I want from a car and for about how much. the car that can achieve the most of what I'm looking for at a price in my range gets my money. car x may have more of what i want, but cost more. car y has less, but costs less. I compare the two, and decide if the price difference is worth it. I buy whats best for me.

I'm glad you like your GTO. then you shouldnt care at all if I dont, nor feel the need to defend it from people on a 135i message board. Please don't attempt to compare your GTO to a Ferrari. This only makes you look more silly. When we start seeing track times of the 135i, we can compare those to your GTO. I'd be willing to be it will keep up, but the car will likely have a better build quality and reliability. It doesnt matter anyway, cause if everyone here is interested in a 135i, not the GTO. Theres probably a reason they are here and not on a GTO forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #42
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

WTF is this guy talking about? My 4 year old is far easier to understand. A bit of advice... shorten your posts, focus on a single point, and please proofread. I have no clue what your background is, but if I had to guess I would say an early teen who is flunking English.

YOU NEED !!!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #43
jbbrann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 45e + '23 M240i

This guy makes a pretty good argument for the GTO. In fact, I think I'll get one instead of the 1. Oh wait, Pontiac dropped the GTO even though it was such a success.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #44
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbrann View Post
Oh wait, Pontiac dropped the GTO even though it was such a success.
oooooo BurN!
Appreciate 0