BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Dushkara
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 128i ,'08 135i(RIP)

LCI Black lines for Halogen model..

Does any body know When will LCI Black lines be available for 2012 halogens models? (without messing with wires) I neeeeed them so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousgook View Post
Not that I am aware of, wires are just wires to me lol, not much of an electrician and sure as hell I suck at wiring.

It's been a long time since I had my tail lights re-wired.. Around two years ago? So I'm not entirely clear on what I did EXACTLY back then. When I did the xenon headlight conversion I had my tail lights wired up correctly and coded to work with the xenon retrofit.

In all honesty, if it works fine now I would just leave it, unless you're really OCD about them. We seriously need a sticky for the LCI Halogen guys so they will stop asking the same question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
I just installed them. Here is what I did to swap wires:
-take a pick (similar to what dentists use) and on the sides of the connector you will see that it unlatches.
-take the pick on each end and pry off.
-take the pick and stick it where you see the metal clip right below the latch (where the pins connect to).
-push in the metal clip and push up and out. That clip holds the pin socket in place. You can grab the wire and wiggle it out at this point.

-Then just slide it into the other socket until you hear a click. Voila.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

need to jump one wire and they work fine
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
need to jump one wire and they work fine
Tell people more. This is news. I thought LCI xenon models would not work on LCI halogens

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Dafttt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushkara View Post
Does any body know When will LCI Black lines be available for 2012 halogens models? (without messing with wires) I neeeeed them so bad.
You mean these?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Tell people more. This is news. I thought LCI xenon models would not work on LCI halogens
On LCI cars with halogens, the LCI Blacklines work fine with the exception of the LED light bars, which will work if you jump a wire. I promise I'll post pictures soon!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Yeah my car came with the LCI tails and the led bars don't work. I would be interested to know which wire needs jumped to make them work.
      12-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterBlack128 View Post
Yeah my car came with the LCI tails and the led bars don't work. I would be interested to know which wire needs jumped to make them work.
I've made posts on several threads about Blacklines where people were concerned about the LED's not working.
It's a really simple solution, on all pre lci models they came with an extra wire to function the tail lights, in which is the 3 LED bars they had. On the LCI models equipped with halogens this was not the case, we infact are missing that wire. So I had Stu@bmr help me out with this one.. He jumped the wire from the 2nd socket into the 3rd socket that is normally supposed to function the LED's, with that done, the wire that is jumped acts as a day time running light AND a brake light. The outter section of the tail lights (which is the outter brake light) will no longer function since the wire has been jumped to the third socket, that wire is used to function the running lights and brake lights.
Now with the wire in the 3rd socket, your LED's will now work as usual, they WILL light up and they also work as running lights now, like any other xenon LCI tail lamp. The LED will also light up BRIGHTER when you brake. The only problem with this (not really a problem to worry about), is that the outter brake light bulbs do not function anymore, but that's been replaced by the LED bar, which now acts as a running light and a brake light. If you're really frustrated about it, you can simply get another wire and link it up with the license plate lights and run the wire up to the tail light socket. I don't think it's necessary to go into that much trouble since we do also have a center brake light. It WILL NOT throw any errors on the dash, hence why it's so perfect.
If anyone is confused I'll post up some pictures about what I mean when the outter brake light doesn;t function anymore, I promise it's really no problem and I'm sure you would all rather have the LED functioning instead
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
On the LCI models equipped with halogens this was not the case, we infact are missing that wire. So I had Stu@bmr help me out with this one.. He jumped the wire from the 2nd socket into the 3rd socket that is normally supposed to function the LED's, with that done, the wire that is jumped acts as a day time running light AND a brake light. The outter section of the tail lights (which is the outter brake light) will no longer function since the wire has been jumped to the third socket, that wire is used to function the running lights and brake lights.:
Instead of moving the wire from the second to third pins, one can run a wire from the second to third pin and all lights work, LEDs and the outer brake lights. I am planning to procure, if possible, the correct connector bodies and pins to make a short harness for plug-n-play functionality. I just haven't had time.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & F85 X5M

Garage List
IDK, Ism I the only one that still likes the three LED bars...? lol

AW F10 ///M5
AW F85 X5///M
BootMode3 STG 2///Project-Gamma Intakes///ActiveAutowerke DPs///Maxton-Design Body Kit
@MeisterAutosport @RatedMClub @RatedMRally
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Dushkara
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've made posts on several threads about Blacklines where people were concerned about the LED's not working.
It's a really simple solution, on all pre lci models they came with an extra wire to function the tail lights, in which is the 3 LED bars they had. On the LCI models equipped with halogens this was not the case, we infact are missing that wire. So I had Stu@bmr help me out with this one.. He jumped the wire from the 2nd socket into the 3rd socket that is normally supposed to function the LED's, with that done, the wire that is jumped acts as a day time running light AND a brake light. The outter section of the tail lights (which is the outter brake light) will no longer function since the wire has been jumped to the third socket, that wire is used to function the running lights and brake lights.
Now with the wire in the 3rd socket, your LED's will now work as usual, they WILL light up and they also work as running lights now, like any other xenon LCI tail lamp. The LED will also light up BRIGHTER when you brake. The only problem with this (not really a problem to worry about), is that the outter brake light bulbs do not function anymore, but that's been replaced by the LED bar, which now acts as a running light and a brake light. If you're really frustrated about it, you can simply get another wire and link it up with the license plate lights and run the wire up to the tail light socket. I don't think it's necessary to go into that much trouble since we do also have a center brake light. It WILL NOT throw any errors on the dash, hence why it's so perfect.
If anyone is confused I'll post up some pictures about what I mean when the outter brake light doesn;t function anymore, I promise it's really no problem and I'm sure you would all rather have the LED functioning instead
Thanks ViciousGook! I will try that but first i have to order the lights. I dont think halogens comes with Led bars.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Instead of moving the wire from the second to third pins, one can run a wire from the second to third pin and all lights work, LEDs and the outer brake lights. I am planning to procure, if possible, the correct connector bodies and pins to make a short harness for plug-n-play functionality. I just haven't had time.
Easier said than done, I am quite sure that this requires coding since the 2nd wire already acts as a running light at night. This would make the lights have TWO running lights, in this case the outter light will act as a running light as will the LED. I had a friend who did this and it turned out that both the running lights were on, making the tail lights appear as if you're constantly braking

Quote:
If your car is LCI halogen, the tail lights that are standard with the car are not xenon tail lights. That being said, the "LED" bar is not an LED at all, it is just a piece of plastic to replicate the look. You need the xenon tail lights. OEM Part #: 63212225282

Quote:
Thanks ViciousGook! I will try that but first i have to order the lights. I dont think halogens comes with Led bars.
No worries buddy, make sure you order the correct tail lights! OEM Part #: 63212225282
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #12
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
If your car is LCI halogen, the tail lights that are standard with the car are not xenon tail lights. That being said, the "LED" bar is not an LED at all, it is just a piece of plastic to replicate the look. You need the xenon tail lights. OEM Part #: 63212225282

Thank for the clarification. More money to spend.
      12-18-2013, 03:27 AM   #13
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Thank for the clarification. More money to spend.
That's the part number for xenon blacklines though, which I think is definitely worth the extra cash
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
That's the part number for xenon blacklines though, which I think is definitely worth the extra cash
Great explanations.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Dushkara
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see there are two terminals with 5 and 3 sockets. The 3 socket one have only two wires going in, is that needs to be jumped?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Blacksport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Damn, I hope I can trust you, Vicious, I'm gonna buy a set on fleebay for $650.....
'13 128i 6sp, '19 Cherokee Ltd 3.2, '17 Ducati SuperSport S Gone But Not Forgotten: 74 Z28, 77 Datsun 280Z (1st 5sp in US), 92 Nissan 300ZTT, 94 MB SL600 V12, 01 M Roadster, 66 Yamaha TwinJet 100, 70 Suzuki X6 Hustler Race: GP/FP Spitfire SCCA, Merlyn FF SCCA, Mazda RX7 IMSA GTU, Yamaha FZR 400 AMA.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Easier said than done, I am quite sure that this requires coding since the 2nd wire already acts as a running light at night. This would make the lights have TWO running lights, in this case the outter light will act as a running light as will the LED.
At least on US models, the inner light is an "Inner brake lamp/tail lamp" and the outer light is an "Outer brake lamp/parking/tail lamp", so yes, two running lights and no, no coding.

I've already done it, just not on a permanent basis.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #18
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I see there are two terminals with 5 and 3 sockets. The 3 socket one have only two wires going in, is that needs to be jumped?
The 3 socket terminal requires the 2nd wire to be jumped to the 3rd socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksport View Post
Damn, I hope I can trust you, Vicious, I'm gonna buy a set on fleebay for $650.....
I'm sure you can grab yourself a set for much less than 650$, not sure in the U.S but I hear they're only supposed to run you around ~400$?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
At least on US models, the inner light is an "Inner brake lamp/tail lamp" and the outer light is an "Outer brake lamp/parking/tail lamp", so yes, two running lights and no, no coding.

I've already done it, just not on a permanent basis.
Would you mind taking a picture of what it looks like at night with and without the brake engaged? Would really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
Blacksport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Whoa, you're right...Schneidmann has them for $350 + $20 DHL...

Damn, I was about to pay $650....they seem like a steal for half that...

BTW, these are the LED ones, not the base ones with no LED's, like the 128 has already...
'13 128i 6sp, '19 Cherokee Ltd 3.2, '17 Ducati SuperSport S Gone But Not Forgotten: 74 Z28, 77 Datsun 280Z (1st 5sp in US), 92 Nissan 300ZTT, 94 MB SL600 V12, 01 M Roadster, 66 Yamaha TwinJet 100, 70 Suzuki X6 Hustler Race: GP/FP Spitfire SCCA, Merlyn FF SCCA, Mazda RX7 IMSA GTU, Yamaha FZR 400 AMA.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Would you mind taking a picture of what it looks like at night with and without the brake engaged? Would really appreciate it
Sure (if I remember to when I get home from work...)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
Blacksport
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think this is the blackline with brake light, not sure why the upper BL isn't on...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #22
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksport View Post
Whoa, you're right...Schneidmann has them for $350 + $20 DHL...

Damn, I was about to pay $650....they seem like a steal for half that...

BTW, these are the LED ones, not the base ones with no LED's, like the 128 has already...
+Random chance for customs to get you for $13 or so.

Either way, Schmiedmann is the way to go.