BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Wheel shakes when braking, should I upgrade guide pins?

Hi guys,

I have a 128i with stock brakes. I've been experiencing a minor steering wheel shake when braking above 60. Did some very hard driving yesterday in up state NY for a few hours and really got some heat in the brakes. Steering wheel shake got much worse now. I've had this issue before, and I'm curious if I should upgrade the guide pins? ECS website says more even wear of the brake pads. I'm just trying to prevent the issue from happening in the future. What do you think? Or is this just normal? For the life of me I can't think of what would have caused this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
In 99% of "wheel shakes under braking" it's likely to be just uneven pad transfer, and most likely easily resolved with a few minutes and at no cost- just follow a good pad bedding procedure again.

Generically, brake from 60 down to 10mph 5 or 6 times in a row, being fairly aggressive but not so aggressive you engage the ABS, then drive around for a a few minutes to let the brakes cool off. Try not to come to a complete stop during this process. If needed you can repeat a couple of times (5 slows and a cool down).

If you still have these symptoms afterwards you can explore other options, but this typically corrects it and is free.
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
In 99% of "wheel shakes under braking" it's likely to be just uneven pad transfer, and most likely easily resolved with a few minutes and at no cost- just follow a good pad bedding procedure again.

Generically, brake from 60 down to 10mph 5 or 6 times in a row, being fairly aggressive but not so aggressive you engage the ABS, then drive around for a a few minutes to let the brakes cool off. Try not to come to a complete stop during this process. If needed you can repeat a couple of times (5 slows and a cool down).

If you still have these symptoms afterwards you can explore other options, but this typically corrects it and is free.
Thanks I'll try it!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
As 1and1 said, it's probably uneven material transfer from the pads. Common result of driving soft, factory pads in a spirited fashion...
      08-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

I love all the disreputable places that try to tell you that you have warped rotors. I've never seen a rotor warp from daily driving. I've heard of a few cracking from track usage, but not warping. Sadly people fall for this and have their rotors resurfaced. Lo and behold it fixes the problem but only because they removed the deposits from the rotor when they resurfaced it, not because it was warped.

I don't care much for BMW pads. They seem to be much more prone to leaving deposits on the rotor than other pads I've used. When these are up, I'm installing some Hawk HPS which have worked well in past cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Are you using a torque wrench on your wheel nuts? Some garages will over tighten.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
I love all the disreputable places that try to tell you that you have warped rotors. I've never seen a rotor warp from daily driving. I've heard of a few cracking from track usage, but not warping. Sadly people fall for this and have their rotors resurfaced. Lo and behold it fixes the problem but only because they removed the deposits from the rotor when they resurfaced it, not because it was warped.

I don't care much for BMW pads. They seem to be much more prone to leaving deposits on the rotor than other pads I've used. When these are up, I'm installing some Hawk HPS which have worked well in past cars.
Really? I have seen thousands of warped rotors. And yes, you can measure the runout.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Really? I have seen thousands of warped rotors. And yes, you can measure the runout.
My evidence is purely anecdotal, so by no means is it proof. I'll say this, I've never seen a rotor warped so badly that it was the cause of brake shimmy. Every time I've had a friend/relative complain about brake shimmy it's because they made a panic stop and kept their foot on the brakes, bonding the material to the rotor. I drive it for 5 minutes and magically cure their problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Not to dispute what you've seen (I'm no tech/mechanic), but would the runout measured not simply be the actual pad deposit/material on the disc? I guess the word "warp" implies the metal itself has been physically shifted/moved...

I'm sure you've read this article:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Agreed w/ the idea to do something like a bed-in procedure.

I've had both - actual warped rotors that occurred from a tire shop using an impact to torque down alloy wheels, and the feeling of warped that was solved by the bed-in procedure. I've had friends I've recommended this to as well over the years and normally they say it cured the problem.

It's free to try, if that doesn't do it go further.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Going to try the bed in procedure. Just need to find a safe place to do these stops without getting rear ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Are you using a torque wrench on your wheel nuts? Some garages will over tighten.
Never, always torqued with wrench to the BMW 88lb ft tq specs
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:
Not to dispute what you've seen (I'm no tech/mechanic), but would the runout measured not simply be the actual pad deposit/material on the disc? I guess the word "warp" implies the metal itself has been physically shifted/moved...

I'm sure you've read this article:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
You can actually see the warp when machining the rotor. It's like the entire rotor face is twisted.

I posted some pics on here somewhere and it is obvious how they are warped.
Appreciate 0