BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
b00st
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i

can't seem to turn off traction control

First off, I'm totally aware of how to turn off the traction control by holding the button.

I'm having an issue where even when I hold the button and the little triangle comes up, it still feels like traction control is interfering quite a bit. I have some bolt ons and meth, and I'm used to my car just destroying the rear tires whenever I hit the gas, but lately I can't even get the car to spin the tires without it feeling like the brakes are trying to grab. If I hit the gas in first, it feels like this, but for example if I'm on the highway in third, the car pulls like it should and I feel no issue(likely just not losing traction on the highway. I also don't spin at all when I do a 1-2 shift, where it normally would spin like crazy there.

The only thing I can manage to think of, is that my brakes are due to be changed(they are squealing a bit now). I'm taking it in for service soon to get the brakes done, but I'm wondering if anybody knows if these things have anything to do with each other? Does the car have some sort of traction control safety that won't let you turn it off when the brakes are this low. This is not a bad clutch or anything like that by the way. I don't smell anything, and I can throw it in a high gear at low speeds without getting any slipping of the clutch. I'm also monitoring with the in dash gauges from my JB4, and I'm hitting the correct boost, and meth is flowing fine, so I don't see any issues there.

Just wondering if anybody knows about this, or have had this happen to them, so I know if the dealership visit will fix this. Thanks.

'12 Black Diamond CTS-V Sedan - Stock for now
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Well if the triangle is up then it's off but I would not see why having low brake pads would hemper you from losing traction. So when you do a 1-2 shift does the tires bark? And punching it from 3rd on the highway I would not expect you to lose traction unless you're pushing 600+rwhp.

Have you been able to lose traction doing a 1-2 shift in the past? Or breaking the tires loose in 1st?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
JefryHorizon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bus Pass

I'm not quite sure either how brake fluid level would translate into DME assisted braking but there also seems to be another member who has fallen into similar circumstances to say the least.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674875
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
b00st
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i

Yes, I used to be able to punch it in first at very low speeds and I would lose traction. The car used to spin the tires doing the 1-2 shift as well. The only thing it does now, is when I punch it in first, the tires will start to break loose, and then it feels like someone is pulsing the brakes. It feels very much like having traction control on and trying to spin the tires. I know the tires won't spin in third though. I was just pointing out that there doesn't appear to be a slipping clutch or anything, since the car pulls like normal in that gear, and it's seeing the full 17psi of boost in that gear.

Jefryhorizon, it's not low brake fluid, it's low brake pads. I have not yet tried just doing a burnout in first to see what happens, since there isn't really a place around me to do that very easily. I'm not having an issue with the car shutting off either, like that guy.

'12 Black Diamond CTS-V Sedan - Stock for now
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
2012one35i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2012 BMW 135i

I seem to remember reading in my owners manual that even with traction control completely disabled, the e-diff will continue to brake the faster spinning tire (poor man's limited slip). Perhaps this is what you are experiencing.
Appreciate 0