BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Autocar: Jaguar Land Rover and BMW to extend alliance plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCar
The two firms are set to extend recently agreed deal into sharing petrol, diesel and hybrid engines, according to Autocar sources

The recently agreed alliance between Jaguar Land Rover and BMW is set to be extended to include internal combustion engines, a source with knowledge of recent high-level discussions between the two car makers has told Autocar.

The two firms initially agreed to work together on the development of electrified powertrains, but according to sources they have now agreed terms on what is described as a “more far-reaching deal involving petrol, diesel and hybridised drivelines” for a wide range of models.

According to Autocar’s sources, BMW is to supply Jaguar Land Rover with internal combustion engines, including in-line four- and six-cylinder units “both with and without electrically-assisted hybrid functions”.

The move is said to be aimed at allowing Jaguar Land Rover to reduce its on-going investment in petrol, diesel and hybrid drivelines and instead focus its research and development spending on the electric drivelines in partnership with BMW.

For BMW the deal safeguards existing research and development, procurement and production operations by adding volume beyond its own brands, BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce.

News of the internal combustion engine deal being forged by Jaguar Land Rover and BMW comes at a time when regulatory authorities in key global markets are raising emission standards with particular focus on CO2 and NOx levels to combat air pollution. Thus raising the level of spending required to engineer petrol, diesel and hybrid drivelines.

By joining forces on both electric and internal combustion engine drivelines, Jaguar Land Rover and BMW hope to reap the rewards of increased economies of scale while sharing development costs to remain competitive.

Last month the two companies announced they would jointly invest in research and development, engineering and procurement of drivelines for volume production electric cars.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...alliance-plans
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

great news for jaguar owners...they get more reliable cars lol.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #3
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
great news for jaguar owners...they get more reliable cars lol.
Haha and lower emission engines too I guess as I think the Ford engines were quite high?

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Haha and lower emission engines too I guess as I think the Ford engines were quite high?
i guess the last of their ford heritage gone lol. But in Fords defense from what i read, Ford did a lot of improve the reliability of Jaguar and Aston Martin.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
DPelletier
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [7.00]
The AJ133 in my former F type is a Jaguar engine, not a Ford....and it is a good engine; the AJ series was one of Ward's 10 best engines when it came out. They did use the Jaguar AJ engine in the lincoln, T bird and AM Vantage. Unfortunately the supercharged V8 isn't that environmentally friendly and with ever tightening regulations, the writing was on the wall as a turbocharged 6 is far more efficient. I think the use of BMW turbo 6's will be a big step up from the supercharged V6 Jags but won't provide the punch of the AJ133 V8 so many Jag fans will be disappointed.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Oh god. WTH BMW!! Why would you tie up with a perennial loser or a brand? LR is an endless money pit that Tata wishes they could get rid of.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0