BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Talking First Time Drifting on the Track

Here's my first try at drifting on a circuit, and why people get hooked to this crazy activity is starting to make sense. The wet conditions caused for a much slower pace on the track, providing for a perfect opportunity to practice and learn. As I'm not confident in my drifting skills at the moment, I proceeded with each slide as slow as possible. My irreversible path towards hooningdom may have begun...

Setup: Stock tune, 235 square (Hankook RS3), Ohlins R&T, Quaife LSD, M3 arms/bushings, Vorshlag camber plates at -2.1

Camera: GoPro HERO4 Black

This same video without music: link

Last edited by 1spirit; 07-16-2016 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: revision
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
MVEED3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Not bad for your first time. You were improving toward the end. The LSD likely helped but I'd flush that fluid soon.

Have you done rodeo in the past? Your right hand had a rodeo reaction
2013 HP4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVEED3 View Post
Not bad for your first time. You were improving toward the end. The LSD likely helped but I'd flush that fluid soon.

Have you done rodeo in the past? Your right hand had a rodeo reaction
Thanks for the comment! Regarding the fluid, Quaife says it is a fit and forget item with absolutely no maintenance required. Aside from an initial break-in flush that was already done at 1K, I originally planned on doing the next one at 30K miles. But on second thought, you're probably right - it can't hurt to flush the fluid much sooner with this kind of driving. Good suggestion. In retrospect, I'd choose an OS Giken instead...never foresaw myself doing this kind of driving

Only on a machine simulated one once a long time ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVEED3 View Post
The LSD likely helped but I'd flush that fluid soon.
A quaife ATB LSD doesnt have clutches inside, its a helical gear lsd so fluid ages the same as on an open diff
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Looks like a good start... if you want to get more into drifting, you'd need some changes to your car.

You'd be able to drift easier with a clutch type LSD. The Quaife doesn't do any lock up on deceleration and you'd want more aggressive and faster locking so you can power both wheels evenly for drifting. Quiafe is designed for cornering, not sliding. It'll send more power to one wheel or the other, it never locks fully.
      07-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Looks like a good start... if you want to get more into drifting, you'd need some changes to your car.

You'd be able to drift easier with a clutch type LSD. The Quaife doesn't do any lock up on deceleration and you'd want more aggressive and faster locking so you can power both wheels evenly for drifting. Quiafe is designed for cornering, not sliding. It'll send more power to one wheel or the other, it never locks fully.
Thanks for the suggestion. If I were to choose again now, I'd for sure get the OS Giken. The Quaife was installed when I thought all my driving would be on the street.

Some say I should get a different car altogether for drifting...but this car will have to make do with some changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The Quaife doesn't do any lock up on deceleration
Yes they do, but maybe not as much as an agressive ramped salisury LSD, so less noticeable. It's also (I think) impossible to adjust deceleration lockup in the design without affecting the acceleration lockup (which is it's primary goal).

Another big difference is that a salisbury clutch LSD always locks as long as throttle is applied (more throttle=more lock). The quaife only locks when one wheel cant put the power down. So the salisbury has a more tendency to oversteer when throttle is applied and the quaife more or less followes the balance on which the chassis/wheel geometry was designed. So like you said very much designed for cornering (as it constantly adjusts lockup to the need of the tyres, its a force balance) and maybe more driveable on a day to day basis, certainly more predictable in wet or treacherous conditions. But for drifting not the #1 choice.

But the quaife seems to do fine in the video (with me, drifting is more like facing the wrong way ), the thing it wont be as good at is like that car in front sliding the tail left and right on a straight piece of road. But that car is a purpose build driftcar judging by the steering angles and front geometry.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
1spirit203.50
      07-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
So the salisbury has a more tendency to oversteer when throttle is applied and the quaife more or less followes the balance on which the chassis/wheel geometry was designed.
That is cool to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
But the quaife seems to do fine in the video (with me, drifting is more like facing the wrong way ), the thing it wont be as good at is like that car in front sliding the tail left and right on a straight piece of road. But that car is a purpose build driftcar judging by the steering angles and front geometry.
I like how you observed till the end
I felt out of place with the 135i...seemed almost everyone brought a purpose build drift car out there. There were many Nissan 200/240SX's - those drift so easily and naturally.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spirit View Post
That is cool to know!

I like how you observed till the end
I felt out of place with the 135i...seemed almost everyone brought a purpose build drift car out there. There were many Nissan 200/240SX's - those drift so easily and naturally.
I had a 1991 S13 model 240sx swapped with the SR20DET turbocharged engine from Japan. It's small by today's standards and 300hp in a 2700lb car is fast by most standards. In stock form with the US engine, it is not a great car. But with relatively little modifications and upgrades, it becomes a weapon on track.

It is by far the most popular platform to modify in Japan so there is a huge following and aftermarket support for it. When production ended in 2002 with the S15 model (never sold in the USA), it was huge blow to the Japanese enthusiast community.

I dumped a good $30k in restoration and modifications to my 240sx. It was in mint condition when I sold it. It's the one car I really regret letting go. I just didn't have the time and space for a project car anymore. Maybe when the S15 becomes legal to own 10 years from now, I'll revisit the dream of owning one of Japan's iconic tuner cars.
      07-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #10
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Z K, thanks for sharing the story. That was one light beast! It's sad to hear you let her go...but hopefully you'll reunite with one someday. The car is one I'd love to have in my future garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 02:58 AM   #11
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Nice work! I had a Quaife on my 130i but then got into drifting and upgraded to the OS Giken