BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
S54ca
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

1M DSC Conversion / Coding

Hi All,

I've converted my car to 1M spec, and was looking for a way to change the software to match the hardware.

Thanks to some helpful / knowledgable users on ss dot com, I have successfully flashed my 135i's DSC Module as a 1M's.

In case anyone wants to do the same in the future, the programming steps I used are as follows:
  • Checked original ZB / HW PN in ISTA (but can be done in INPA as well)
  • Opened the ZB number in Comfort Mode of WinKFP to retrieve the PABD, P-SGBD, and ECU integration position details.
  • Dropped the .0pa file corresponding to the ZB I wanted to flash (1M) in the develop folder.
  • Opened expert mode in NCS Expert, and entered the PABD, P-SGBD, and ECU integration position that was populated during step 2.
  • Hit 'Done' (takes you back to main page) and then hit program.
  • Percent complete counter will quickly go from 0-100, and then restart at zero. Once complete, WinKFP will return a message saying 'flash sucessful'
  • After the flash completed, many different errors were present on the dash. To eliminate them, I first used NCS Expert to Default Code the DSC Module by:
  • Using NCS Expert to read VO from CAS or FRM/NFRM - Ensure that the 'Modify with FSW/MAN' is turned OFF for whichever profile you are using.
  • Editing the V0 - I deleted my vehicle code (forget what it was, but it should look like something like "*KG13"), and added the 1M vehicle code of "*UR93". Click OK.
  • Change coding operation to 'SG_CODERDATEN' if not already selected and click 'Process ECU'
  • Go into ISTA, carryout vehicle recognition and vehicle test
  • Clear all faults for every module first - Should get rid of most lights on dash
  • Run DSC Calibration procedure - If all goes well, you should now have a fully function 1M / M3 DSC module now. INPA now lists the module as 'MK60E5 E82 M-Version'.

For others that have done the 1M Suspension / Brakes / LSD conversion, this will help ensure that the calibration matches the hardware perfectly.
Appreciate 1
spidertri397.50
      04-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

What is the benefit of the calibration matching the hardware perfectly?
      04-20-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
Rebellato
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 130i MT

Awesome!
Do you know if I can do only the DSC coding with no mods to the ECU?

Done all the 1m control bars, swaybars, quaife LSD, 335i brakes, etc, on a 08 130i MT, would be great to somehow improve the DSC software
      04-21-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
S54ca
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebellato View Post
Awesome!
Do you know if I can do only the DSC coding with no mods to the ECU?

Done all the 1m control bars, swaybars, quaife LSD, 335i brakes, etc, on a 08 130i MT, would be great to somehow improve the DSC software
DSC coding / function should be independent of any specific DME program.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 06:39 AM   #5
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

And what if I flash and code this without any suspension mods? Will it at least not make the DSC so aggressive?
It's annoying having to press the DTC button everytime I drive
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #6
S54ca
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrift View Post
And what if I flash and code this without any suspension mods? Will it at least not make the DSC so aggressive?
It's annoying having to press the DTC button everytime I drive
I've been driving with the new program for over a week and a half now, and I have to say, it has really transformed the way the car drives.

With DSC on, the intervention under power and around corners seems to be less aggressive. With DSC completely off, the car feels very natural especially during corner exit (read: power slides); Power comes on much sooner and doesn't feel artificially limited. The car feels faster overall.

In addition, the feel of the brake pedal is more consistent now. Before, even with 'power reduction due to brake overheating turned off', the pedal feel seemed to change dynamically with the driving situation. Now, the pedal feel is extremely predictable and inspires more confidence during repeated hard braking events.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
Rebellato
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 130i MT

Great, looking forward to do the same!
Planning on only messing with the DSC, could you recommend wich sofwares do I need, and the the things to change in the original coding?