BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
Scottaw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i convertible

Replacement windshield, think they messed up trim

Can someone post pics of the trim on their 128 windshield? Safelite just replaced a cracked windshield on mine, and I don't think they positioned the trim along the A-pillars correctly. There is a gap, where I'm pretty sure the rubber trim should but up directly and wrap around the radius of the A-pillar slightly. They also left a few wrinkles on the top edge trim, and the tech told me once the sun hit it, that it will flatten out. I'm not convinced he just didn't screw up the repair job.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottaw View Post
Can someone post pics of the trim on their 128 windshield? Safelite just replaced a cracked windshield on mine, and I don't think they positioned the trim along the A-pillars correctly. There is a gap, where I'm pretty sure the rubber trim should but up directly and wrap around the radius of the A-pillar slightly. They also left a few wrinkles on the top edge trim, and the tech told me once the sun hit it, that it will flatten out. I'm not convinced he just didn't screw up the repair job.
Call Safelite and document/email them about the issue.

What's the time limit for satisfaction?
      11-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

The top pic with the wrinkles is definitely not how it should look. However they may be right about it flattening out in the sun. Give it a try.

The second pic is how my trim looks from the factory. It's an odd cut but that's how it is made.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

I would take it back - looks like the gasket is bunched up and should be flush with the painted area. Maybe a little hair-dryer action will help, but I doubt it
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

This is why I'm reluctant to get a small chip that doesn't really bother me repaired.
I don't trust these guys.

On another car I had a tiny leak but only when it was very heavy rain.
Maybe a year or two later I called and they came out and "fixed" it and now it was leaking much worse.

Then they just replaced the entire windshield again and it worked fine after that.

The tech kind of said they use cheap glass made in China and the windshields aren't always perfect don't fit correctly and sometimes have to be replaced again.

To their credit they did all these repairs at no charge to me or my insurance.
      11-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
This is why I'm reluctant to get a small chip that doesn't really bother me repaired.
I don't trust these guys.

On another car I had a tiny leak but only when it was very heavy rain.
Maybe a year or two later I called and they came out and "fixed" it and now it was leaking much worse.

Then they just replaced the entire windshield again and it worked fine after that.

The tech kind of said they use cheap glass made in China and the windshields aren't always perfect don't fit correctly and sometimes have to be replaced again.

To their credit they did all these repairs at no charge to me or my insurance.
I think the glass and install procedure itself are both suspect. At the assembly plant they apply the sealant/adhesive with a robot. It's perfect. Then the glass is held with like 10+ suction cups on a big arm and again placed by that robot with the perfect pressure and extremely evenly.

Safelite has that big arm they attach to your car which I'm sure is decent but no way could it be as good as the robot.

FWIW I think you may be able to request OEM glass. BMW tends to use Pilkington. I believe the dealer can also replace glass and they'll use OE stuff. So maybe give them a call.
      11-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Yes I believe your insurance will pay for OEM glass from the dealer but you have to request it and I'm sure they will still try and drive you towards Safelite or some other 3rd party because I'm sure its a fraction of what the dealer will charge.
      11-15-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
I think the glass and install procedure itself are both suspect. At the assembly plant they apply the sealant/adhesive with a robot. It's perfect. Then the glass is held with like 10+ suction cups on a big arm and again placed by that robot with the perfect pressure and extremely evenly.

Safelite has that big arm they attach to your car which I'm sure is decent but no way could it be as good as the robot.

FWIW I think you may be able to request OEM glass. BMW tends to use Pilkington. I believe the dealer can also replace glass and they'll use OE stuff. So maybe give them a call.
After hearing many horror stories about Safelite (and having one myself with a Mercedes years ago), I insisted on having the dealer replace my windshield last year on my 328i wagon. They sub it out to a shop that ONLY works for dealers, and stand behind the work 100%. It was done perfectly, the only way you would know that the glass had been replaced was the absence of pitting.

Of course, thank goodness for $0 glass deductible - the invoice was enough to make me feel faint. But that's why I pay AIG every year.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0