BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2021, 06:10 AM   #1
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Passenger low and high beam is out

135is - low and high beams went out on passenger side.

2013 135is

Little back story: Was backing out of a parking spot when the underside of the front bumper caught on a piece of rebar sticking up out of a parking curb. Stupid me didn’t realize until it was too late..kept backing out it and it pulled on the bumper and cracked the middle underneath..you can’t see it unless you goth underneath ...anyways....

On my furious drive home, I get the adaptive headlight error come on. Damnit. Ccid 121 - FRM 121 Dipped Beam Right Failure

Pull in home and the passenger low and high beams are out. Angel eyes and blinker still work.

Started diagnosing today. Swapped the ballast from the driver to passenger, doesn’t work. Swapped the xenon bulb and igniter, didn’t work. Swapped the adaptive control module didn’t work. MEANWHILE I WAS SWAPPING THE PASSENGER PARTS TO THE DRIVER SIDE AND IT WAS WORKING. So I know the ballast, bulb, acm is good. Checked all the fuses for the headlight. None blown. Pulled up Protools, gave me the error code A8AB (Dipped beam,right,faulty).

Went into FRM in Protools and reset short circuits, I tried coding to factory, tried removing the error and nothing worked.

Not sure what else to try now. I will check on the wiring cables and harness and ballast gaskets and such. Something may have happened when I put stress on the bumper that caused something to move or break because it was working fine for quite a while. They are new bulbs and ballasts as of June 2020.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

bump, anyone got any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

fixed it.. the silver cable that runs from the igniter to the ballast. On the ballast connection, it "clips" or snaps" into that housing so the ballast chip can go in there... well the stress from when the bumper was pulled on caused the plastic piece in there to break so it has no way to "snap" in. whenever I would push the ballast in, the silver cable would move back causing it to not seal properly. I duct taped it tight for the mean time until parts get here. Ill have to order the silver cable and unfortunately the adaptive control box because that piece is busted.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for the follow-up, always helpful info down the road for someone else.
Appreciate 0