BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i M Sport

Angry Oil filter gasket went AGAIN!

I'm starting to get my hands full with this car, I had the oil filter gasket and oil cooler gasket repaired 2 summers ago when I first purchased the car at a reputable shop.

I just had my battery cable recall work done on the car at BMW and they say I have a really nasty oil leak that needs to be repaired ASAP. BMW of Manhattan quoted me 1550+TAX to do the work.

THAT IS F****** INSANE!
There is no way two gaskets and a couple hours of labor should be that much! I definitely can't afford that right now. Why did my gaskets go! I spent around 1300 when I got it done the first time. Is this going to be an ongoing problem? Do I drive my 1 too hard? (the only way to drive it) Or is the 150K+ miles playing into the amount of maintenance I have been doing?

PLEASE anyones input would be much appreciated. I'd consider doing it myself but I barely have the time my life belongs to the Army, and I'm only a beginner when it comes to working on my car, brakes, rotors, oil changes, and helped my pops with the water pump and thermostat, and radiator hose.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Are you sure it's not the oil pan gasket? Those are known to go and is pretty labor intensive, as you have to drop the front subframe and suspend the engine to get to it

And if it's the same gasket that failed previously, I'd question the quality of the work done at the first shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

My oil filter housing gasket failed after 10K and 16 months after being repaired by a very well known/recommended indy.

Googling around, I see other dealers have quoted anywhere from $650 to $850 for the job. I had it done the first time for $490 and the second time for $370 (identical work, different shops).

I agree, $1550 sounds more like a oil pan gasket quote, but I think BMW of Manhattan would be even higher (not sure their current labor rate but it looks like it was $150/hr 3 years ago). I got quotes from independents around $900 to $1000. A full 8 hours labor with a $40 gasket. Not sure what the "book time" is at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
My oil filter housing gasket failed after 10K and 16 months after being repaired by a very well known/recommended indy.

Googling around, I see other dealers have quoted anywhere from $650 to $850 for the job. I had it done the first time for $490 and the second time for $370 (identical work, different shops).

I agree, $1550 sounds more like a oil pan gasket quote, but I think BMW of Manhattan would be even higher (not sure their current labor rate but it looks like it was $150/hr 3 years ago). I got quotes from independents around $900 to $1000. A full 8 hours labor with a $40 gasket. Not sure what the "book time" is at the dealer.
Negative not an oil pan gasket, specifically said oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler gasket and once its replaced to monitor for any other leaks. I just got another quote from Bay Diagnostic for 956+TAX including the oil change. I am just starting to wonder if this is going to be an ongoing maintenance repair. I do put a lot of miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydragonz View Post
Negative not an oil pan gasket, specifically said oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler gasket and once its replaced to monitor for any other leaks. I just got another quote from Bay Diagnostic for 956+TAX including the oil change. I am just starting to wonder if this is going to be an ongoing maintenance repair. I do put a lot of miles on it.
Wow, 1550 (and 1300) is crazy, 956 is high. Of course I suppose there is always the NYC premium, tough to compare prices with other areas of the country.

There is a good DIY here, but if you don't have the time. I'd be wary of letting it go too long, oil on the serpentine belt can lead to the belt shredding and getting sucked into the engine, leading to catastrophic failure (wraps around front crankshaft pulley, damages main seal and gets lodged in timing chain).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #6
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Wow, 1550 (and 1300) is crazy, 956 is high. Of course I suppose there is always the NYC premium, tough to compare prices with other areas of the country.

There is a good DIY here, but if you don't have the time. I'd be wary of letting it go too long, oil on the serpentine belt can lead to the belt shredding and getting sucked into the engine, leading to catastrophic failure (wraps around front crankshaft pulley, damages main seal and gets lodged in timing chain).
Yea, definitely not going to let it go long I made a buddy with a shop in NJ that did my intake valve cleaning a while back and he said that he would have his mechanic do it for me >500, phew. Need my ride to be running smooth, my bf called it a money sink, then again what does he know he drives a jeep
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 04:50 AM   #7
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Perhaps they did not use genuine gaskets or didnt tighten the bolts down properly?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #8
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Perhaps they did not use genuine gaskets or didnt tighten the bolts down properly?
Could be a possibility, I put heavy miles on the car traveling back and forth. I won't be going back to that shop, was a really reputable one, and the work wasn't cheap at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
thewubwub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: like a slowpoke

Wow you are getting super ripped off... I did it myself for just the cost of the Oil Cooler Gasket and the Oil Filter Housing Gasket, but holy s**t does it make a mess.

I'm really hoping the leak doesn't happen again for my duration of ownership... the woes of owning a N54.
      06-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewubwub View Post
Wow you are getting super ripped off... I did it myself for just the cost of the Oil Cooler Gasket and the Oil Filter Housing Gasket, but holy s**t does it make a mess.

I'm really hoping the leak doesn't happen again for my duration of ownership... the woes of owning a N54.
I am not paying that insane price, no way in hell. Hopefully get it done this weekend. Clean up is going to be a bi***.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Perhaps they did not use genuine gaskets...
FWIW, I had a former BMW master tech say the same thing to me, but when I told him the shop I used, he said they only use genuine/BMW parts. He said there's a lot of garbage aftermarket gaskets that don't last.

(Which frankly I found odd since the gasket is much cheaper than the labor, why not use the genuine BMW parts).
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #12
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

And don't let anything fall down the oil feed to the crank/cam/vanos....

Dealer did mine and bought me a new (used) engine to make it right after it seized 4 miles after they gave it back to me.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #13
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got the gaskets both replaced, oil change, and a new belt old one was baby smooth and warped. The oil filter cap was really loose and could have been contributing to the leak (my fault &#128517 and the shop sanded down the oil filter housing (shit American mechanics do) the surface wasn't straight across put the new OFG with added some silicone gasket to fill the tiny gap. I for the life of me don't know why they would sand the whole thing, idiots.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #14
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Sanding it with fine wet and dry to remove the remnants of th old gasket and crud is good practice. I've never had to lap the surface to level it though. That sounds a bit extreme because the gasket when assembled in its groove, sits several mm above the groove and when you reassemble everything, that compresses the gasket, eliminating all concerns regarding uneven surface tolerance - unless eithe side was that deformed.

You shouldnt need any gasket maker/RTV silicone. I hope they let the sealant fully cure before running the motor.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #15
brytom
Level 1 BMW Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 | N52K | 6MT

Sanding a machined surface is horrible practice. Don't take anything abrasive to the head. Brake clean and a rag has worked just fine for the years I've fixed this issue.
Loose oil cap or cap seal leak look similar to an OFH leak. Could have been your problem all along.
      06-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #16
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brytompkins View Post
Sanding a machined surface is horrible practice. Don't take anything abrasive to the head. Brake clean and a rag has worked just fine for the years I've fixed this issue.
Loose oil cap or cap seal leak look similar to an OFH leak. Could have been your problem all along.
Definitely could have been my problem, but considering the miles I put on the vehicle I wasn't too upset that I had both gaskets and the belt replaced. I think I have a picture of the head I'll see about uploading it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #17
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydragonz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brytompkins View Post
Definitely could have been my problem, but considering the miles I put on the vehicle I wasn't too upset that I had both gaskets and the belt replaced. I think I have a picture of the head I'll see about uploading it.
Which dealership did you use in NJ?
Appreciate 0