BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
rscott
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i DCT

2013 E82 135i DCT transmission bearing noise

I have a 2013 E82 135i with the DCT, about 55k miles. Early this year, I replaced my tires and noticed a noise (most aptly described as sounding like someone blowing over the top of a soda bottle) at 68-72 MPH or so, accompanied by some vibrations coming up through the steering wheel. I took it into the shop shortly after when my valve cover gasket started leaking and the techs there said it was most likely tire noise so I've kind of just dealt with it since.

With my service interval coming up and the OFHG leaking, I brought the car to a different shop and had them look at it while taking care of the required service items and replacing the OFHG. They were pretty stumped because they couldn't pin the noise down to anything in the front end suspension or tires but they eventually used a chassis stethoscope to track the noise down to what they said was a bearing at the back of the transmission. They aren't really BMW experts or transmission experts so they said they would refer me to a shop more able to make a diagnosis. The shop said there was no sign of metal shavings in the transmission fluid so there isn't likely any internal damage. Does this sound like a guibo or carrier bearing on the driveshaft issue? I can't really find any listings for bearings on realoem for the DCT, so I'm guessing if it is internal to the transmission that it would have to be replaced as part of the dual clutch assembly, or the transmission will have to be replaced outright? I'm not terribly worried about that since I have a $500 deductible on my warranty through CarMax.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
Genes1s
Private
Rep
Drives: 1997 E36 M3/4/5. 2011 E82 135i

Get different folks to help you trouble shoot this. A fail bearing in the back of the tranny that transmits vibration that you can feel on your steering wheel is hard to follow.

A center support bearing and guibo issues are noticeable when you get on it, although you may not necessarily feel it directly to your steering wheel it could create vibration to the car.

Be very careful with replacing the OFHG also especially if your shop didn't know anything about the oil priming procedure.
Appreciate 0