ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetech
Thanks for you super intelligent input.
I think if during conversation with the dinan rep, that if he thinks one of the selling points of his system is that they eliminated the drone, ill take his word for it. He didn't claim he made most power or that it was the lightest or best looking or cheapest. No one mentioned this attribute so I did.
What's your problem?
I
The axel back is part of a system - the dinan exhaust probably has very little to no drone when paired with stock downpipes. You put an n55 mid and downpipes and you absolutely will bring some drone back.

I have a GT haus exhaust and it absolutely drones at certain rpm ranges but with the new sound and performance gains of the full system I do not care.

In my experience, there is no downpipe / aftermarket mid / axelback that doesn't drone to some extent. People always claim their systems don't drone then I drive it or hear it in person and low and behold i hear drone. Everyone has different driving styles and tolerances for it.

I personally would add the n55 mid on your car and then see how you want to further change it from there. You mention wanting to make it slightly louder than stock , an n55 mid deletes your secondary cats and should do the trick
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I know others have mentioned it, but having seen a 1M with this exhaust and I found it to be a significant downgrade in the looks department. The tips did not sit evenly in the diffuser (one side sat lower than the other), the can hung down noticeably lower than stock and I thought the tips protruded from the bumper a little too far. Hopefully the owner did some adjustment to make it look a little bit better, but at first glace it looked like a muffler shop special.

My personal opinion is that, unless having a very loud car is your objective, none of the mufflers out there are much of an upgrade over stock. Most mufflers offer too little of a power gain and the loss of weight doesn't justify it for me. Much more to be gained "upstream" of the muffler in the mid- and down pipes in the way of power.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3. 98 M3. 11 1M

N55 pipes drone less than stock 1m mid pipes due to functional resonator, that is the word on bimmerpost, I will confirm if this is true soon enough when I test. Personally sick to death of the brown noise
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetech
N55 pipes drone less than stock 1m mid pipes due to functional resonator, that is the word on bimmerpost, I will confirm if this is true soon enough when I test. Personally sick to death of the brown noise
What is brown noise?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetech View Post
There are already tons of testimonies on this in 1M forum, we don't even talk about the advantages of the N55 mids anymore since it was literally the first common mod performed on 1M starting mid 2011, and yes it definitely drones less, much less, a good upgrade for a very reasonable price. You will like it if you are not doing it for a significantly louder exhaust note as well.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #28
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acetech View Post
Thanks for you super intelligent input.
I think if during conversation with the dinan rep, that if he thinks one of the selling points of his system is that they eliminated the drone, ill take his word for it. He didn't claim he made most power or that it was the lightest or best looking or cheapest. No one mentioned this attribute so I did.
What's your problem?
I
It was obviously a tongue in cheek comment. Relax.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #29
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3. 98 M3. 11 1M

Brown noise is the drone that occurs at lower rpm with light throttle, depending on what exhaust, mid pipe and down pipes you have the brown noise can be non existent or unbearable.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
tunedone
Auto Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M AW

Dinan muffler/Maddad mid pipe

I have been very happy with this exhaust system. I have the Dinan Stage 2 ecu modification and with the Dinan muffler and the Maddad mid pipe and it really creates great horse power and torque. I track my car around every 4 to 6 weeks and that also helps clear out the pipes to really generate a great sound out of the system. The akra system I am sure is superior if you are ok with the dollars, however, I am not ok with the dollars which is why I picked Dinan. Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #31
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Thanks for your thoughts / experience.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #32
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedone
I have been very happy with this exhaust system. I have the Dinan Stage 2 ecu modification and with the Dinan muffler and the Maddad mid pipe and it really creates great horse power and torque. I track my car around every 4 to 6 weeks and that also helps clear out the pipes to really generate a great sound out of the system. The akra system I am sure is superior if you are ok with the dollars, however, I am not ok with the dollars which is why I picked Dinan. Good luck with your decision.
Would you please post a video so we can appreciate the sound and looks of it when installed on a car.
      10-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #33
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Or photos at least. Thx!
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0