BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
superlight
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 4runner

auto express again

Driving
The way the Coupe goes and slows is simply exceptional. The 135i gets a remarkable twin-turbo petrol engine, that blasts it to 60mph in only 5.1 seconds. That’s in the same league as an Aston Martin V8 Vantage! But the two diesels are brilliant too, particularly the twin-turbo 123d. This 2.0-litre four-cylinder has 204bhp and hits 60mph in just 7.0 seconds – and is one of the best diesels we’ve ever driven. Even the single-turbo 120d is impressive, and all 1-Series Coupes are backed up by excellent brakes. It’s a pity the chassis isn’t up to the same standard. It’s well balanced and wieldy to drive, but the suspension isn’t that supple. The BMW gets pitched around, so the steering requires constant correction, which limits your confidence in the car. It doesn’t truly come alive – instead, it feels slightly numb and disinterested.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlight View Post
Driving
The way the Coupe goes and slows is simply exceptional. The 135i gets a remarkable twin-turbo petrol engine, that blasts it to 60mph in only 5.1 seconds. That’s in the same league as an Aston Martin V8 Vantage! But the two diesels are brilliant too, particularly the twin-turbo 123d. This 2.0-litre four-cylinder has 204bhp and hits 60mph in just 7.0 seconds – and is one of the best diesels we’ve ever driven. Even the single-turbo 120d is impressive, and all 1-Series Coupes are backed up by excellent brakes. It’s a pity the chassis isn’t up to the same standard. It’s well balanced and wieldy to drive, but the suspension isn’t that supple. The BMW gets pitched around, so the steering requires constant correction, which limits your confidence in the car. It doesn’t truly come alive – instead, it feels slightly numb and disinterested.
I'll take a bet the BMW will out perform all American designed and built cars. Even now most are still third world designed. Just look at the Mustang
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
I'll take a bet the BMW will out perform all American designed and built cars. Even now most are still third world designed. Just look at the Mustang
What do you mean by "out perform"? Subjectively or objectively? Because objectively, the Corvettes are awfully formidable...
      11-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
Z06?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 02:39 AM   #5
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
What do you mean by "out perform"? Subjectively or objectively? Because objectively, the Corvettes are awfully formidable...
I'm not talking about straight line power, but over all design, fit and finish and straight out of the box track car, as well no "bloody alarms"

I have had 4 American rides. The last one I had I could not get all the alarms disconnected.
Appreciate 0