BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2024, 10:33 AM   #89
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep
Drives: F10 550i | E82 135i

So, I'm in the process of getting 6 new fuel injectors ordered/installed.

Why? Long story long so jump to relevant category if you need. About a month ago, I felt the car wasn't idling smoothly but would when pressing in the clutch or with A/C on - both of which raise the RMPs a little. Also a couple of 1st gear starts weren't smooth and nearly stalled. Wasn't all the time just noticed it on a couple of drives and everything seemed ok.

Context
Right after I did the tail light clean up above, used BimmerLink to see if I could find anything. Idling in neutral with AC off, it was about ~690 RPMs - with clutch disengaged/pedal depressed, it smoothed out to ~700. Did this several times and with foot off all pedals while flipping through Bimmerlink menus, the engine suddenly sputtered, shook and died. Flabbergasted, I sat there for a min, didn't see any errors or check engine and thought wtf. I was low on gas and was about to fill her up after my RPM checks. Per Bimmerlink I still had 8 Liters of Fuel. I thought possibly sediment clogged something? Not sure. I started the car back up left if for a few mins then drove 5 mins to the nearest station and back - drove fine.

Cause:
Made an appointment with BMW and took it down there. They smelled gasoline from the oil filler cap and asked to keep the car a couple days to get to the root cause and offered me a loaner 530 to take home. Few days later they confirmed injectors 2 and 4 were faulty and the others may or may not go bad but recommend full replacement. I know I probably didn't have to change the others at this time, but decided to just refresh them all.
3 weeks to order from Germany so she's in the shop again. Maybe, just maybe this was the reason for the slow starts I've been trying to sort out. I don't know. According to BMW, the gas in the oil didn't seem too severe so I'm really hoping the fuel leak had worsened only very recently as opposed to me driving around all this time with insufficient bearing lubrication. Up to now, and apart from the slow starts, the engine has been running fine as far as I can tell - and with my short experience with the N55.

Rant
I've mentioned this in a few posts here but again, this is, I think the 3rd time where I had the wife out of town vising friends in Tokyo where I had the day to myself and was planning to enjoy the 1. It was a Sunday and I was going to hit BMW real quick - assuming they wouldn't really find anything wrong to ease my mind - then hit the roads.

While that rained on the party, my real issue is this strange pattern I seem to have with my BMWs. It alternates between good car and bad car like this:

E36 318 - Great car, minimal if no issues
E39 525 - Bad experience with the car
E39 530 - Absolutely amazing car, minimal if no issues
E39 540 - Absolutely horrible experience with reliability
F10 550 - Absolutely amazing car, minimal if no issues
E82 135 - Jury still out but I see a pattern here

I'll cut the 135 some slack as it is an oldish car, I knew what I was getting into and it's not a daily driver. I actually bought it as I 'want' issues so that I can fix it - that's part of the enjoyment. But, it really acts like the 540 wherein it would break down on or about the worst time. I got stories of that 540 which is all documented at Bimmerfest but man, it's a close race. Fun fact: That 540 I owned ended up in Canada where a fellow 'Fest member purchased it. He saw my posts and reached out - couldn't believe he had the exact same car - had the Bilsten shocks, all the BMW Individual Birch wood I put in and of course, the VIN.

On the bright side, if I ever need to replace this amazingly stunning 550 which is my main car, it will be on the positive-track cycle.

Also, after leaving my firm last year, settling into the new house and dealing with some family health emergencies and having to go back in Boston in Feb, I haven't really had much time with the 1er.

530e
The loaner I had with BMW. Meh - I mean yeah, nice - I think it was a 4 banger hybrid. Improved modern Tech features some of which I don't like but nice cruiser. Do I need to get a new 5? No. Was I impressed? Not really. Give me a solid E39 anyday and the F10 just improves it albeit more clinical in the driving feel which you really can't do much about due to chassis size.

Current Situation
I'm still waiting for the repairs to complete and look forward to getting the N55 back and on the road probably in about 2 weeks. I 'should' see some performance increase with all new injectors - but you tell me what experiences have been. She's about 60K Miles so still young and there is a backlog of mods I want to do.. More to come later.
Attached Images

2013 F10 550i M-Sport | AC Schnitzer Springs | CMP Chassis Brace | PS4S

2011 E82 135i M-Sport | Evolution Racewerks CP | Stock | Stock | Stock
Appreciate 2
Fishee1007.00
      04-08-2024, 11:03 PM   #90
Fishee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i MSport

But when it's working...
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2024, 08:45 AM   #91
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

Indeed..

Well, as I wait, I've been browsing Real OEM, FCP etc. for other things down the line like contemplating an HK sound upgrade, tire choices, maintenance items etc.

While running through the options on my car per VIN decoder, I came across this:

[S258 = Tyres With Runflat Properties]

Interesting. Did the E82 2010/2011 models come with Runflats from factory? I wonder how that would have felt with the M-Sport suspension and which tires they may have came with.

Something close I think might be an E85 Z4 I once rented on holiday circa 2006 that had RFTs. Real hard ride from what I recall. I liked it, but then girlfriend now wife didn't :-) Thinking about it now, it might suit the 1.

Had RFT's on the 550i brand new in 2013 - they were much more compliant but I did swap them. It was shared that BMW tuned their suspensions considering the heavier RFT's so we were skeptical back then changing to non-RFTs when these cars were still new.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 09:05 AM   #92
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

I thought all 1s delivered in the US had runflats. Several threads on here about switching away from RFTs and the changes wrought.

Last edited by blue135; 04-09-2024 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 10:28 AM   #93
Fishee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
Indeed..

Well, as I wait, I've been browsing Real OEM, FCP etc. for other things down the line like contemplating an HK sound upgrade, tire choices, maintenance items etc.

While running through the options on my car per VIN decoder, I came across this:

[S258 = Tyres With Runflat Properties]

Interesting. Did the E82 2010/2011 models come with Runflats from factory? I wonder how that would have felt with the M-Sport suspension and which tires they may have came with.

Something close I think might be an E85 Z4 I once rented on holiday circa 2006 that had RFTs. Real hard ride from what I recall. I liked it, but then girlfriend now wife didn't :-) Thinking about it now, it might suit the 1.

Had RFT's on the 550i brand new in 2013 - they were much more compliant but I did swap them. It was shared that BMW tuned their suspensions considering the heavier RFT's so we were skeptical back then changing to non-RFTs when these cars were still new.
I don't believe there's much reasonable suspension tuning that can be done to compensate for the ultra stiff sidewalls and added weight of run flats. Lowering the rebound rates, softening springs... none of it fits with the car. Run flats are just all around terrible. Like boat anchors, with added weight where you really don't want it, dynamically speaking.

I believe that many 1s came delivered with Bridgestone RE050A RFT (215/245).

Swapping to slightly taller PS4S, an E60 spare kit in the trunk, and refreshing the suspension... be it with OEM or quality aftermarket is, in my opinion, what the car needs to be a fun weekend ride. YMMV.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2024, 11:39 AM   #94
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

agree..

I've been happy with PS3, PSS and PS4S's on the 5. The factory Primacy RFT's that it came with weren't great - especially going over potholes.

Was just thinking perhaps the smaller E82 may have better executed stiffer tires over the larger 5.

That Z4 I rented I quite liked - but then again, I only drove it for 3 days...

Appreciate 1
Fishee1007.00
      04-23-2024, 10:15 AM   #95
demas
Strictly BMW
Rep

She's back - with 6 new injectors, yay. Had an oil change done as well to rid whatever impurities that may have been in there.

Impressions:

Power - feels more or less the same and wasn't expecting there to be more. It's also a good sign that the injectors had probably been performing well up until very recently and hence less, if any, damage internally.

Driveability - Could be placebo but improved 1st gear feeling. It was a bit finicky recently with some jerky starts - now it's much more in tune with the bite point. A few times before, I'd get to the bite point on a straight road and the engine bogged down. I haven't done CDV delete still on the fence. Also, the ZHP knob is glorious - just say'n!

Sound - Definitely placebo but man, this thing just sounds good stock - been driving the 550 and MINI for three weeks and drove the 1 on a good sunny day and it was glorious.

Hopefully she's in good mechanical shape now and I can continue down a few medium-term areas of interest.

(1) Ordered a new e-brake handle (genuine perforated) from FCP over a month ago - now I can get that installed. Wanted a new leather brake cover but hard to find one for right hand drive. Decided not to change as it's actually in good shape.

(2) Finally completed a full exterior glass compound clean. It had a lot of grime so good to get that off finally. Posted below.

(3) Custom speedometer/gauges backpanel. I lost the bookmark but there was a company that made these which look stock. They have the grey "1M style" look which I like that has both MPH with KPH.

(4) Audio. Got a chance to rip out the rear trunk liner to confirm that I don't have an amp. I knew I probably had the base stereo as I've got the 6 speaker system and it sounds pretty bad. Reason I had to check was that sometimes the Euro or Japan market BMW's have certain items which are different than US. It was a long shot in hoping I had an amp but yeah, no. I want to get the genuine HK system and not aftermarket including BAV. Got to do a lot more research and where I can get a Logic 7 amp somewhere. Not sure if the CIC has to change but I'll go down that road when I get there.

(5) Speaking of sound - keen to try out the Burger CAI. Still about $250 and reversible. I normally won't touch CAI's on a stock car but this thing seems to sound wild on an N55.

(6) Spacers at some point just to flush out the wheels. Leaning ECS.

Suspension and tires may need to wait a little longer as funds are being routed to the F10 and MINI for maintenance this year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Fishee1007.00