BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #177
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
This thread needs to disappear

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #178
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340iX (6MT) - X3///M40i

I didn't read the whole thread but im sure there were a fair share of jabs thrown left and right between 28 and 35 owners, and we probably have not seen the last of it either...

IMO
Having driven both over lengthy periods (my friend/neighbor works at a dealer, hence he had a new company car every few months) I settled on a 128. Why?

Cause it suits my needs. My daily drive consist of 15mins one way to work. On the weekends I'll go for the occasional cruise though the twisties up north. The only place I can imagine I would want the power of the 135i is at the drag-strip (which btw is not my thing...i'll leave that to the ricers and muscle cars)

The 128i's power is plenty, balance of the car is near perfect, and reliability is un-compromised. It fits my needs perfectly. The guys that are going to argue that the 128 has no power compared to the 135; i'll ask you what car did you come from to "settle" on the power of the 135?

And quit honestly, nobody needs more power than what the 128 has to offer for daily use on public roads. Lapping, well thats another story.

BTW my previous car was an e46 with a 3.2l , that I purchased new, so please don't tell me that I don't know what power is, nor that I couldn't afford a 135.
IMO if you are scraping between the cost of the two models, you shouldn't be buying a BMW period. (new or used) The difference in cost is marginal at best.

Last edited by i128; 02-29-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #179
Just1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by i128 View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but im sure there were a fair share of jabs thrown left and right between 28 and 35 owners, and we probably have not seen the last of it either...

IMO
Having driven both over lengthy periods (my friend/neighbor works at a dealer, hence he had a new company car every few months) I settled on a 128. Why?

Cause it suits my needs. My daily drive consist of 15mins one way to work. On the weekends I'll go for the occasional cruise though the twisties up north. The only place I can imagine I would want the power of the 135i is at the drag-strip (which btw is not my thing...i'll leave that to the ricers and muscle cars)

The 128i's power is plenty, balance of the car is near perfect, and reliability is un-compromised. It fits my needs perfectly. The guys that are going to argue that the 128 has no power compared to the 135; i'll ask you what car did you come from to "settle" on the power of the 135?

And quit honestly, nobody needs more power than what the 128 has to offer for daily use on public roads. Lapping, well thats another story.

BTW my previous car was an e46 with a 3.2l , that I purchased new, so please don't tell me that I don't know what power is, nor that I couldn't afford a 135.
IMO if you are scraping between the cost of the two models, you shouldn't be buying a BMW period. (new or used) The difference in cost is marginal at best.
So u coming from E46 M3 to 128i?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #180
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:

IMO

Who are you to say nobody needs more power than what a 128 has to offer for daily use? You say you got a 128 because it suits your needs, guess what buddy, I got a 135 because it suits MY needs. Coming from a 400whp Evo into a stock 135 was bad enough, but if I had went with a 128, I would surely regret that financial decision. Different strokes for different folks.

Oh and btw, unless that e46 was boosted, you don't know what power is.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #181
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by $Everfly$ View Post
So u coming from E46 M3 to 128i?
Yups, need to stay alive, and not get as many speeding tickets...bottom line I wanted something "slower", that would not give me any maintenance hassle...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #182
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Who are you to say nobody needs more power than what a 128 has to offer for daily use? You say you got a 128 because it suits your needs, guess what buddy, I got a 135 because it suits MY needs. Coming from a 400whp Evo into a stock 135 was bad enough, but if I had went with a 128, I would surely regret that financial decision. Different strokes for different folks.

Oh and btw, unless that e46 was boosted, you don't know what power is.
Who am I to say? im nobody, but thanks for voicing your concern.

Honestly 99.9% of the cars on the street have more power to violate any speeding laws, traffic laws, highway safety, etc etc... So ya, this is a whole other debate... think of this: if speed limits are enforced to 65mph or 100km/h on the freeway, why do we have cars that can do well in excess of that? on PUBLIC roads a honda civic @ 140hp has more power than you need.

Financial decision....? lol... do what you want with your money, its yours to spend...fyi, I use mine as an accelerant to start bond fires...

PS: You went from a 400whp Evo, to a stock 135i, congratulations you grew up

-buddy.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #183
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Honestly 99.9% of the cars on the street have more power to violate any speeding laws, traffic laws, highway safety, etc etc... So ya, this is a whole other debate... think of this: if speed limits are enforced to 65mph or 100km/h on the freeway, why do we have cars that can do well in excess of that? on PUBLIC roads a honda civic @ 140hp has more power than you need.

Financial decision....? lol... do what you want with your money, its yours to spend...fyi, I use mine as an accelerant to start bond fires...

-buddy.
Ok, so if a Honda Civic has more power than what you need, why didn't you get one or something that has less power?

And no I haven't grown up and will happily admit that. If that Evo wasn't stolen, I would still be in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #184
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:

-buddy.
for real? you have to be kidding. the fact that you participate on this forum surprises me. most people on here are enthusiasts that appreciate fine cars.

your 128i is over powered by your point. it is capable of doing more than twice the speed limit and can easily exceed the speed limit during regular driving conditions. You should probably turn it in and get a kia forte. (no hate on 128i's whatsoever, great reliable cars)
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #185
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
for real? you have to be kidding. the fact that you participate on this forum surprises me. most people on here are enthusiasts that appreciate fine cars.

your 128i is over powered by your point. it is capable of doing more than twice the speed limit and can easily exceed the speed limit during regular driving conditions. You should probably turn it in and get a kia forte. (no hate on 128i's whatsoever, great reliable cars)

I surely I do appreciate fine cars, all types for that matter. A Kia Forte you say? will it get you from point A to point B? SURE! Can it exceed the speed limit, break laws, SURE!

you guys are missing the point...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #186
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Ok, so if a Honda Civic has more power than what you need, why didn't you get one or something that has less power?

And no I haven't grown up and will happily admit that. If that Evo wasn't stolen, I would still be in it.
It's a car, the purpose on PUBLIC roads is to get you to point A to point B.
I chose mine, because it does just that, and offers a driving pleasure that suits my needs, and 230hp and 200trq, is plenty more than anyone needs to get around town....

well you have your own reason to have bought a 135... if you really liked your 400whp evo that much, you would have built another one.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #187
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I chose mine, because it does just that, and offers a driving pleasure that suits my needs
well you have your own reason to have bought a 135... if you really liked your 400whp evo that much, you would have built another one.
Congrats, you just summed up why I went with a 135i instead.

I bought that Evo brand new in late 2005 as a model year 06 and they stopped production of the Evo9's in that same year. My car was stolen early 2009 and if they had still produced Evo9's, I would have snatched another one up. I wasn't going to buy another persons used Evo considering how they are driven unless it was a track toy, but I was looking for a daily driver. The Evo 10's are butt ugly and was not impressed with that new motor in it, so I went with a 135i instead. Right now my 135i is making about 400whp and recently ran at the strip which went 12.3@117mph with a shitty 2.1 60ft. It still needs another 100whp...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #188
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
It's a car, the purpose on PUBLIC roads is to get you to point A to point B.
I chose mine, because it does just that, and offers a driving pleasure that suits my needs, and 230hp and 200trq, is plenty more than anyone needs to get around town....

I absolutely agree buying a car is a personal choice and should be done appropriately to the buyers situation and needs. i dont think anyone can argue against that.

I was more commenting on your point that sounded like you were saying no one should have or needs a car capable of exceeding the speed limits. like you said, most cars can exceed the speed limit, some better than others but like where buying a car is up to the buyer, i think how you drive is up to the driver. not everyone with a ferrari pushes them up to 200mph on public roads.. but should they be able to have a car that is able to? I think so. does that ferrari on the road make me enjoy my 135i or other cars less, no. because the 135i is more suited to my needs and situation ( and i also cant afford a ferrari)

A lot of people also track their cars and want a car faster than a 140mph civic. having a car that meets that requirement as well as being a car legal to drive on public roads is very appropriate for a lot of people. i guess no one really needs to track but i also guess no one really needs a BMW when there are cheaper, more fuel efficient vehicles out there that can still get us from point A to point B on public roads. .

i kind of feel like i am stating the obvious and i apologize if i missed your point.

(And again, no hate on 128i's, great cars)

Last edited by ilikebmxbikes; 02-29-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #189
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

I'd say it's purely a financial decision. I got a 135, very very very happy with it. If I could have afforded a 1M, would I have instead? Of course!!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #190
i128
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

OK guys, sorry for the aggressive tone earlier, but all I was trying to say by initially weighing in on this thread, was that why do people have to compare the 128 and 135?, they are 2 different cars! It seems that the general consensus appears to be that the 135 is a superior car because 1) it has more power. 2) it cost more. Implying that you're poor and slow if you're driving a 1series thats not a 35.

Anyway it's a terrible stigma, but its just how society is I guess... (bigger/ stronger / badder is better,) Im sure the 328i guys get it from time to time for the same reasons from the 335i guys.

My point was, (and mentioned it a few times) I bought my car for my needs, not for anyone else's, and surely not to showboat, or brag. Sorry if i offended anyone....
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #191
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Red face

Quote:
OK guys, sorry for the aggressive tone earlier, but all I was trying to say by initially weighing in on this thread, was that why do people have to compare the 128 and 135?, they are 2 different cars! It seems that the general consensus appears to be that the 135 is a superior car because 1) it has more power. 2) it cost more. Implying that you're poor and slow if you're driving a 1series thats not a 35.

Anyway it's a terrible stigma, but its just how society is I guess... (bigger/ stronger / badder is better,) Im sure the 328i guys get it from time to time for the same reasons from the 335i guys.

My point was, (and mentioned it a few times) I bought my car for my needs, not for anyone else's, and surely not to showboat, or brag. Sorry if i offended anyone....
Maybe they get compared because as you stated, they aren't much different in price, and they are essentially the same car with different engine choices. Some people think the 128i is a waste of time and $$$, some people think the 135i is a waste of time and $$$, and some people think both are a waste of time and $$$.

So they get a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #192
John Dempsey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
What a retarded post.
Im guessing you drive a 128. Not that i have anything against that, I was just trying to say you wont regret putting down more money to get a 135i. Its worth every penny more i spent.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #193
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
Maybe they get compared because as you stated, they aren't much different in price, and they are essentially the same car with different engine choices. Some people think the 128i is a waste of time and $$$, some people think the 135i is a waste of time and $$$, and some people think both are a waste of time and $$$.

So they get a 1M.
This price difference between the 135i vs 128i was huge > 6K from my experience of buying in the DC metro area in the spring of 2010. And that's comparing a 128i with at least a sports package to a 135i. I just couldn't find a stripper 135i manual, they all had a ton of options.

On another note, I'm amazed at all the 135i owner in this thread making sure we know the n55/n54 is the more entertaining drive (yes it is!), but the title of the thread and it's location seem to directed towards 128i owners. People have very different ownership goals and means to those goals: some just lease, some want a reliable 10yrs of ownership, some want a track car, some want a cheap track car, .. etc. I think this thread was meant to explore that from someone who has bought a 128i.

Last edited by Hops128i; 02-29-2012 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #194
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dempsey View Post
Its worth every penny more i spent.
See how that works?
      02-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #195
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

I have a 2012 manual black on black 128i without any frills and im VERY happy with it, its exceeded all my expectations. Ive driven both...

Last I checked base prices between the 128 and 135 its an $8100 difference, thats a 25% price increase between both models...thats not small

Unlimited budget would I get a 135? MAYBE...but much finer more expensive cars out there...whats funny is the 135 guys acting like 128 guys are the only ones with "budgets" considered, if money wasnt an issue why settle for a $40,000 135...why not go $60,000 or $90,000? Also guys that built a 128 optioned out to 135 price, why not just get 135 if your spending the $$ anyway?

both great cars, I can afford both...paid under $29,000 for my BMW brand new, super happy with my 128 and additional $8000 in the bank

and just look at it...its frigging hot looking!
Attached Images

Last edited by the1andonly; 03-01-2012 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #196
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Got any more pics of that front bumper? Haven't seen the new one other than on the BMW site.
      03-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #197
John Dempsey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
See how that works?
I missed your point
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #198
coda72
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i convertible

I just have to lol at this whole thread! I guess the 135 owners just have to make sure the 128 owners know just how much better their cars are. I guess they're making up for shortcomings in other areas of their lives.
Appreciate 0